Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted my secondary to the NW campus last Friday. I got the email that acknowledges the receipt of the secondary. When I check my status, it says Incomplete-Items outstanding, even though all the requirements are marked as received. Any thoughts on what's going on?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you would have a blast going Code 3 (lights and siren) with me, if you think sitting in a helicopter is fun;)

Lawlasaurusrex (hereby known as LSR from here on out) thinks biochem is fun... That might be overload for him...

Kidding LSR, totally kidding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lawlasaurusrex (hereby known as LSR from here on out) thinks biochem is fun... That might be overload for him...

Kidding LSR, totally kidding.
Driving code 3 is one of the best part of the job:D Although people don't move over for you as you would expect:mad:

I submitted my secondary to the NW campus last Friday. I got the email that acknowledges the receipt of the secondary. When I check my status, it says Incomplete-Items outstanding, even though all the requirements are marked as received. Any thoughts on what's going on?

I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes it takes a significant (and nerve-racking) amount of time for things to be updated on your status. I think mine said incomplete for months...even after I'd gotten an interview. I think turn-around has been pretty quick so if you don't get an invite in a couple weeks you could call and check

Is there a simulator lab on campus??? I can't recall seeing one during the tour?? If not, are they planning to add one soon?

By simulation lab I assume you mean something that has a Sim-Man in it? If so, no, we don't. To be honest, while those devices are cool on a tour, they aren't that awesome to train on.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if they had plans to get one for the clinical skills lab. They may also be planning on sharing resources with the hospital and/or nursing school locally. Who knows. It wouldn't really be a terribly useful until the end of second year (for ACLS, ward skills prep, etc).

Hey just thought I would let everyone know that OMSI is getting body worlds back. It opens on Oct 20th

Has anyone heard anything that interviewed on Oct 1st? I believe they said it would take 10-15 days... I know the school was a bit late notifying the first group of interviewees but just thought I'd check in to see if I'm the only one without any news. Thanks!

Has anyone heard anything that interviewed on Oct 1st? I believe they said it would take 10-15 days... I know the school was a bit late notifying the first group of interviewees but just thought I'd check in to see if I'm the only one without any news. Thanks!

Nothing here either.

Not yet. I'm anticipating hearing something tomorrow, though. That's the first business day after the two week date is crossed.

So nervous! This is not something I want to think too much about right before my first biochem midterm. Eeeeeeeek!

Finally submitted tonight! Received the secondary earlier this week. Super excited! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke to Jess today, wait a few more days guys, they are a'comin. I just don't think today.

Hey everyone,
I'll be interviewing here on November 12th, who else will be there? Any suggestions on hotels? As far as I can see, there's 1 in Lebanon and quite a few in Albany. Where did you guys stay?

I interviewed last year during March and was rejected and I interviewed for this cycle on Oct 1st. I stayed at the Hilton garden inn at Corvallis both times with great experiences both times. Corvallis is 20 minutes away from Western COMP, but it is a nice place with good restaurants and quite a bit going on. I ate at Big River restaurant in Corvallis - great, local food. Good luck on the interview! This wait is getting brutal...I can't wait to hear. I love this school and the pacific NW even though I'm Minnesotan. Everyone and Western NW COMP seems really genuine and I really hope I'm part of the school come July!!

While you're in the area, be sure to check out Calapooia Brewing in Albany for a Squirrel Burger (not what you think) and a chili beer (exactly what you think). Very cool place, but take it easy on that beer... it's spicy.

If accepted, is anyone planning on living in Corvallis? It seems like there is a lot more going on there: restaurants, coffee shops (to study), work-out facilities, and employment options for spouses. Plus it is only a 20 minute drive. Thoughts?

Accepted!! Call from Jess around 430I pacific time.

Hey everyone,
I'll be interviewing here on November 12th, who else will be there? Any suggestions on hotels? As far as I can see, there's 1 in Lebanon and quite a few in Albany. Where did you guys stay?

I stayed at the Phoenix Inn in Albany- 70$ + tax (if you ask for the student discount)..nice place, clean, good breakfast...about 10 minute drive from the school. Good luck!!

If accepted, is anyone planning on living in Corvallis? It seems like there is a lot more going on there: restaurants, coffee shops (to study), work-out facilities, and employment options for spouses. Plus it is only a 20 minute drive. Thoughts?

If you are staying in the anatomy lab until midnight, do you really want a 20 min drive home? Unless you are "one of those" that doesn't need to spend all waking hours with the cadavers. :)

Really, I hear that you don't get a lot of free time from studying, so it is better to live in town, and travel to get your entertainment. Portland is only 90 minutes, Salem less than an hour, and Corvallis 20 min... Given the choice, I would stay in Lebanon.

dsoz

Congrats on the acceptances so far! Someone should start a Class FB group page (for those set on attending this school)

There are a few current students in the DO2015 class that live in Corvallis (although none that I know of that frequent this board). The drive isn't bad, but on many days, it is a hassle of a drive when that time could be spent with loved ones, sleeping or studying. While there are certainly far more things to do in Corvallis (ie food, gyms, entertainment), there simply isn't that much time to take advantage of those opportunities during the average school week. This is coming from a student who is single. If you do have a spouse, living in Corvallis may be the more sane choice in keeping them happy while you are "missing from their lives". Also, there are no 24 hour or late night coffee shops in Lebanon, so beware.

Got a call today too! Accepted!! :highfive: (interviewed 10/1)

What time was your call? I've been in my office all day, and there's no phone service here. I don't have any messages on my cell, either. I really hope this doesn't mean I've been rejected. I've never been so nervous in my life.
:xf:

Congrats on your acceptance! Way to go!

Hey for those of you going to Western this year what places do you recommend for apartments. I am looking at Parkside and Cascade Ridge. The big plus for Cascade Ridge is that it is right by the school, but Parkside you get more Sq. footage for less money.

got the call today, accepted. winning at fooseball seemed to help

got the call today, accepted. winning at fooseball seemed to help

I won at pool. I wonder if that'll help. Congrats, by the way!

I'm seriously hoping they're calling by last name and that that's why I haven't heard back yet. It's been a tough enough week without getting an applications-related ulcer.

Wow this thread got busy!

Accepted!! Call from Jess around 430I pacific time.

Very nice, Congrats.

I stayed at the Phoenix Inn in Albany- 70$ + tax (if you ask for the student discount)..nice place, clean, good breakfast...about 10 minute drive from the school. Good luck!!

This is where I stayed and endorse it, only becuase I like waffles and I got to make my own when I was there. Hyped me up for the interview.
Got a call today too! Accepted!! :highfive: (interviewed 10/1)

Gratz to you too!

If you are staying in the anatomy lab until midnight, do you really want a 20 min drive home? Unless you are "one of those" that doesn't need to spend all waking hours with the cadavers. :)

Really, I hear that you don't get a lot of free time from studying, so it is better to live in town, and travel to get your entertainment. Portland is only 90 minutes, Salem less than an hour, and Corvallis 20 min... Given the choice, I would stay in Lebanon.

dsoz

This, unless highly motivated and you are one of those who "just get it" so you have some free time.

Congrats on the acceptances so far! Someone should start a Class FB group page (for those set on attending this school)

I highly recommend one of you facebook friendly people to start this, it helps with house hunting, etc. I would start it for you guys but it wouldn't be as personal. Create it, own it, and look forward to the year coming.

There are a few current students in the DO2015 class that live in Corvallis (although none that I know of that frequent this board). The drive isn't bad, but on many days, it is a hassle of a drive when that time could be spent with loved ones, sleeping or studying. While there are certainly far more things to do in Corvallis (ie food, gyms, entertainment), there simply isn't that much time to take advantage of those opportunities during the average school week. This is coming from a student who is single. If you do have a spouse, living in Corvallis may be the more sane choice in keeping them happy while you are "missing from their lives". Also, there are no 24 hour or late night coffee shops in Lebanon, so beware.

Agreed, although I am in the same boat as LSR here.

Hey for those of you going to Western this year what places do you recommend for apartments. I am looking at Parkside and Cascade Ridge. The big plus for Cascade Ridge is that it is right by the school, but Parkside you get more Sq. footage for less money.

Really, I have heard that both are ok, some like Parkside better, others enjoy the Cascade Ridge (Otherwise known as WesternU dorms. because so many of us live there.) I have heard those at Parkside wanting to move to CR due to the proximity, but to each their own. I think LSR lives in parkside so he can give you a rundown, amongst others. I live in Cascade Ridge so I can give you the low down here.

got the call today, accepted.

Congratz again!

But seriously, if you are set on going to WesternU start looking around for housing options, roommates, etc. Start that FB page to help bring you guys together, (believe me you guys will be one big family when this is all said and done.), AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, enjoy your free time and do things you have been wanting to do. When you get here, A&P isn't that difficult (as far as time requirements go) but it only ramps up from there. As always, I am here, along with anybody else to answer your questions and help with your transition to the WesternU family. We are breaking everything in for you guys and are so excited to have you guys join the WesternU family!

Last edited:
I won at pool. I wonder if that'll help. Congrats, by the way!

I'm seriously hoping they're calling by last name and that that's why I haven't heard back yet. It's been a tough enough week without getting an applications-related ulcer.

I too am hoping that they are not done calling! If they are, I guess I'm hoping for a wait list spot. Congrats to everyone that got calls today!

I too am hoping that they are not done calling! If they are, I guess I'm hoping for a wait list spot. Congrats to everyone that got calls today!

Yup, same here. I'm tempted to call Jeannie and ask, but I don't want to seem too pushy. I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight, to be honest! I just want to know as soon as possible.

Good luck to all of us still waiting! Here's hoping we'll get to be classmates someday.

Congrats to everyone that's been accepted so far!

My $.02 on housing: I live in the dorms, along with James and apparently most of DO2015. I like it there a lot but I think that people can do well no matter where they live. As cool as Corvallis is, there just isn't a lot of free time to enjoy it. Even if you're someone that "gets it" most of the time, you'll be in the minority and you'll have a hard time finding people who can hang out.

Good luck everyone. The wait after interviews is one of the worst parts. I don't envy anyone right now!

hey guys!

I have committed to this school and I don't mind starting a facebook page... do either LawlasaurusRex or JamesLMT have any tips for creating a page or do you have one set up for your class that I can take a look at? Do you think a "Page" or a "Group" would be more beneficial?.....plus i can create a page connected to my current profile, or I can create a whole new FB account and make a page that way...what do you think?

here is a rough draft of a page i literally just created... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Western-University-of-Health-Sciences-COMP-Northwest-DO-Class-of-2016/165183826906086

what do you think?

hey guys!

I have committed to this school and I don't mind starting a facebook page... do either LawlasaurusRex or JamesLMT have any tips for creating a page or do you have one set up for your class that I can take a look at? Do you think a "Page" or a "Group" would be more beneficial?.....plus i can create a page connected to my current profile, or I can create a whole new FB account and make a page that way...what do you think?

here is a rough draft of a page i literally just created... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Weste...MP-Northwest-DO-Class-of-2016/165183826906086

what do you think?

Seems like a good start. A group is good because then you can control who joins and who can see it. Our page started off public but is now private. Being private and open to students only would be what I would suggest.

Yup, same here. I'm tempted to call Jeannie and ask, but I don't want to seem too pushy. I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight, to be honest! I just want to know as soon as possible.

Good luck to all of us still waiting! Here's hoping we'll get to be classmates someday.

I spoke with Jeannie on Friday and she said they will be sending out letters this week, and that I can give her a call on Wednesday (today) and ask for the decision. They called me first, but if you just want to get the wait over with, give them a call. Best of luck :luck:

I spoke with Jeannie on Friday and she said they will be sending out letters this week, and that I can give her a call on Wednesday (today) and ask for the decision. They called me first, but if you just want to get the wait over with, give them a call. Best of luck :luck:

I gave her a call. She says I'm on hold while they wait for more grades. A bit disappointing, sure, but I'm just relieved that I wasn't rejected! Time to absolutely ace biochemistry and advanced Japanese/Anthropology classes, I guess! I'll be checking in with you guys whenever possible. I really want to join the COMP-NW class of 2016!

Best of luck, everyone! And congratulations to those who already got in!

I called and I was told I was ACCEPTED!!!

Hope for those who are still waiting : ) there is a list of accepts that haven't been called yet bc the calls were split between different people. Best of luck!

hey guys!

here is a rough draft of a page i literally just created... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Weste...MP-Northwest-DO-Class-of-2016/165183826906086

what do you think?
I was thinking about starting a group and keeping it private. However, I am horribly facebook inept and I've tried a couple of times and have not succeeded as of now. So if you want to try to make a group that would be fantastic:love:

Super pumped!:laugh: Lol, great news as I just interview at nova, and wasn't all too happy about the school.. Just one more interview left next week. Chances are this is where I'll end up...

Interviewed oct oct 1st.
Gpa and MCAT were not so great, but I guess they were good enough!

I was thinking about starting a group and keeping it private. However, I am horribly facebook inept and I've tried a couple of times and have not succeeded as of now. So if you want to try to make a group that would be fantastic:love:

Just joined the group!

Interviewed Oct 1st, accepted via phone Oct 19th. I am still interviewing at KCUMB and AZCOM, but I really liked COMP and can definetly see myself there.

Just got the call from Jess. I'm accepted!!! Class of 2016:D

It is probably better to make a group on facebook, not the page that was linked above. You can see the names of others in a group, post documents and so forth that isn't accessible in the page function. Good effort though!

I was totally stressing that I wasn't going to be called and then Jess called at 12:00 Mountain time to tell me I was accepted! Super Stoked!!! :D

So where is everyone from? Are they looking specifically for people from the NW? I'm an Idahoan, so hopefully that will work in my favor (Lord knows it doesn't work in my favor for most schools).

It is probably better to make a group on facebook, not the page that was linked above. You can see the names of others in a group, post documents and so forth that isn't accessible in the page function. Good effort though!

One of our more savvy facebookers started a group for you guys. We want this to be something that you guys to own so we want to hand it over to you guys once you guys join. Here's the Link guys.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/189650907778448/

So where is everyone from? Are they looking specifically for people from the NW? I'm an Idahoan, so hopefully that will work in my favor (Lord knows it doesn't work in my favor for most schools).
I am from Idaho and I got in so I think it must not be a bad thing like I feel it is at some schools.

I am from Idaho and I got in so I think it must not be a bad thing like I feel it is at some schools.

Lol, Comp NW mission includes WA, OR, ID, AK, so definitely not.

...k...i joined your group....i definitely agree that the group idea is better than a page.

You joined YOUR group... I'm leaving once enough of you guys get in there. :)