Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received this email just now...

"Thank you for your interest in attending Western University of Health Sciences. We have received your application for both campuses, and we need to pick a campus of choice at this time. We will conduct your interview at your first choice campus location. You must decide A. Pomona or B. Northwest."

Does this mean I have an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm, not sure... could be...

"Thank you for your interest in attending Western University of Health Sciences. We have received your application for both campuses, and we need to pick a campus of choice at this time. We will conduct your interview at your first choice campus location. You must decide A. Pomona or B. Northwest."

Sounds promising my friend!

Is there a better chance to get an interview if you apply to both campuses? I'm guessing that's the case, but am still a bit confused about the 2 campuses 1 interview thing.

I'm fine with either place...I currently live in Northern CA, used to live in Southern CA, and like Oregon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds promising my friend!

Is there a better chance to get an interview if you apply to both campuses? I'm guessing that's the case, but am still a bit confused about the 2 campuses 1 interview thing.

I'm fine with either place...I currently live in Northern CA, used to live in Southern CA, and like Oregon!

I'm not exactly sure. I thought there was, which is why I applied to both. However, the admissions office seems to be pretty interconnected. I ended up choosing the Northwestern track for a variety of reasons. Good luck to you! :luck:

What was your answer to the similar question on the secondary? I was pretty clear on mine, so that question would seem kinda redundant.

It is one class, if you are admitted you either are going to attend the NW campus or the Cali campus. Each campus it's mission. IE Comp-NW is to produce physicans for the NW etc.

We are considered one class. Our class rankings, our lectures, everything is one source. Since it is the same class, if you interviewed at both campuses, it would like be interviewing twice for the same class.

What was your answer to the similar question on the secondary? I was pretty clear on mine, so that question would seem kinda redundant.

Since I applied to both schools, I thought it best to say "no preference" rather than to pick one location as a priority. At the time I did not realize that it was indeed a single class of students.

Yes, that sounds like an interview, and yes it is one class.
We had to write our class mission statement last week and it was one mission statement for both campuses. It is also the exact same admissions committee for both campuses.

It is one class, if you are admitted you either are going to attend the NW campus or the Cali campus. Each campus it's mission. IE Comp-NW is to produce physicans for the NW etc.

We are considered one class. Our class rankings, our lectures, everything is one source. Since it is the same class, if you interviewed at both campuses, it would like be interviewing twice for the same class.

So it's best to choose the campus you prefer to matriculate at? What I'm getting is that there really is no reason to apply to both...am I wrong?

Do apply to both. From my understanding, the admission committee isn't completely the same for both campuses. While the deans and several members do talk to one another, your application will have different eyes reading it depending on the location you submitted your app. If you choose Pomona as your primary, and they pass up on you, there could be a chance that someone in the NW may give you a shot. Don't apply to both if you do not have the intention to go to the school that was not your primary choice.

is lebanon campus accepting internationals for this cycle? their website says they aren't accepting for 2015 class.. anyone have information about 2016 cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent! Where are you coming in from? Do you have any idea where you are staying yet?

I will be coming from Idaho, what about you? I might end up driving and I should probably figure out plans soon because I'm headed to Florida in a few days! Let me know what you come up with...

I will be coming from Idaho, what about you? I might end up driving and I should probably figure out plans soon because I'm headed to Florida in a few days! Let me know what you come up with...

I'm flying in from Kansas City. I was looking at the threads from last year, and it looks like a bunch of people stayed at the Phoenix Inn. I guess rates are good, rooms are decent and they serve up a nice breakfast. It's about 15 minutes away from the campus.

I have a mandatory class on the Friday before, so I won't arrive until very late Friday night, possibly even Saturday morning :(

I'm super excited!

I'm flying in from Kansas City. I was looking at the threads from last year, and it looks like a bunch of people stayed at the Phoenix Inn. I guess rates are good, rooms are decent and they serve up a nice breakfast. It's about 15 minutes away from the campus.

I have a mandatory class on the Friday before, so I won't arrive until very late Friday night, possibly even Saturday morning :(

I'm super excited!

Just a heads up. If you guys stay at Phoenix Inn, make sure to mention that you are there for the Western-U COMP interviews. They will give you a discounted rate. I believe it was around $70 last year, tasty breakfast included.

Just a heads up. If you guys stay at Phoenix Inn, make sure to mention that you are there for the Western-U COMP interviews. They will give you a discounted rate. I believe it was around $70 last year, tasty breakfast included.

Thanks James, sounds like the best bet! :thumbup:

do they give out secondaries to everyone that submits a primary or is there a screening process just to get invited for the secondary?

do they give out secondaries to everyone that submits a primary or is there a screening process just to get invited for the secondary?

There is a generic screening process that cuts out any red flags etc.

by red flags do you mean like really low mcat, gpa or red flag like former nazi leader?

Nazi armbands on face book of course. Kidding. I think things like a GPA below 3.0 or any section of the mcat that you have a 6 or under.

I've got an interview on the 10th. I'm so excited :)

Fellow Idahoan here. I'm waiting on my MCAT scores and this is one of my top schools. Let me know what you think!

Great! Where are you guys coming from? Care to share your stats? See you on the 10th!

I'm coming from Washington. See you there!

cGPA: 3.49
sGPA: 3.25
MCAT: 10VR, 10PS, 10BS

Last edited:
Great! Where are you guys coming from? Care to share your stats? See you on the 10th!
I'm coming from Salem, about 45 minutes north of Lebanon. sGPA 3.34 cGPA 3.55 MCAT 8V, 9P, 10B. My GPA's are pretty low, but I had some extenuating circumstances during undergrad, with my sister's cancer and her death. I've worked for 3 years as an EMT in a 911 system.

I'm coming from Salem, about 45 minutes north of Lebanon. sGPA 3.34 cGPA 3.55 MCAT 8V, 9P, 10B. My GPA's are pretty low, but I had some extenuating circumstances during undergrad, with my sister's cancer and her death. I've worked for 3 years as an EMT in a 911 system.

I don't want to give "false hope" but my GPA was lower than that and I was accepted to several schools ( I had some extenuating circumstances as well). Good for you for sticking with your dream!

I don't want to give "false hope" but my GPA was lower than that and I was accepted to several schools ( I had some extenuating circumstances as well). Good for you for sticking with your dream!
Thanks, I've got 6 interviews right now, no rejections so far, and most of my applications have only been complete for 2 weeks. My undergrad school took forever to release my LOR's.

So I am a little torn between which campus. Maybe you guys could help. I would love to go to pomona bc I could make more use of my ability to speak spanish. However, I have kids and the cost of living in pomona is ridiculous. Is it possible to do first 2 years in lebanon and clinicals in pomona? I know this is a little premature as I havent even finished my secondary yet but I really want to go to this school and so i am trying to figure which campus would be better. thanks for any advice you can provide!!

So I am a little torn between which campus. Maybe you guys could help. I would love to go to pomona bc I could make more use of my ability to speak spanish. However, I have kids and the cost of living in pomona is ridiculous. Is it possible to do first 2 years in lebanon and clinicals in pomona? I know this is a little premature as I havent even finished my secondary yet but I really want to go to this school and so i am trying to figure which campus would be better. thanks for any advice you can provide!!

This might be possible, but I think part of the mission of the Lebanon campus is to provide physicians specifically for the NW. They probably have specific rotation sites set up for the NW as well, in fact I did see a post with those sites but it was a few years old and has probably been updated by now. Personally I chose Lebanon because of the smaller class sizes and the fact that I really want to practice medicine in an underserved area. If those are important to you, then Lebanon might be the best bet. The cost of living is MUCH less than CA as well. It really just depends what suits you best though. Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck!

I would guess that you have an excellent shot. Your numbers look fine, but aside from that I believe that 60-70% of the entering class is targeted from the northwest. Best of luck!

This might be possible, but I think part of the mission of the Lebanon campus is to provide physicians specifically for the NW. They probably have specific rotation sites set up for the NW as well, in fact I did see a post with those sites but it was a few years old and has probably been updated by now. Personally I chose Lebanon because of the smaller class sizes and the fact that I really want to practice medicine in an underserved area. If those are important to you, then Lebanon might be the best bet. The cost of living is MUCH less than CA as well. It really just depends what suits you best though. Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck!

thanks, i do feel like you do in that i want to practice with the underserved but i was hoping that included a hispanic population. I figure i know spanish might as well use it to help underserved people that dont speak english. with that being said I am sure there is a hispanic population in the nw that needs to be served. finishing up my secondary, hope i get a chance to visit the campus this fall!!

That would be one good question to ask during the interview. From what I know, 3rd year core rotations are set in the Northwest. I don't believe they have considered allowing students to do their rotations in socal, as we are required to return to Lebanon every 13 weeks for didactic stuff. You are given much more freedom for location during your 4th year rotations, since you are in charge of setting up sites. People are even allowed to go abroad during that time. Now having said that, I can see the possibility that you can go to socal for core rotations. Both schools are considered "one campus" since the Lebanon campus is piggy-backing on Pomona's accreditation. We share the same curriculum and take the same tests. Surely if you pushed hard enough, they would allow you to go to socal for core rotations. This is all speculative, of course.

That would be one good question to ask during the interview. From what I know, 3rd year core rotations are set in the Northwest. I don't believe they have considered allowing students to do their rotations in socal, as we are required to return to Lebanon every 13 weeks for didactic stuff. You are given much more freedom for location during your 4th year rotations, since you are in charge of setting up sites. People are even allowed to go abroad during that time. Now having said that, I can see the possibility that you can go to socal for core rotations. Both schools are considered "one campus" since the Lebanon campus is piggy-backing on Pomona's accreditation. We share the same curriculum and take the same tests. Surely if you pushed hard enough, they would allow you to go to socal for core rotations. This is all speculative, of course.

good to know thanks foe the info...lets hope I get the opportunity to ask!!!:xf:

thanks, i do feel like you do in that i want to practice with the underserved but i was hoping that included a hispanic population. I figure i know spanish might as well use it to help underserved people that dont speak english. with that being said I am sure there is a hispanic population in the nw that needs to be served. finishing up my secondary, hope i get a chance to visit the campus this fall!!

There ARE Hispanics here in Oregon!!! I work in Woodburn (just north of Salem) and the community is about 80% Hispanic, 20% native Russian speaking (old believer), and a small pocket of Somali refugees.

Plenty of opportunity to speak Spanish.

dsoz

So it looks like there will be 24 of us interviewing on Sept 10th.

So it looks like there will be 24 of us interviewing on Sept 10th.

Yup... Oh btw.. we had a student ambassadors meeting today (which are basically the students that want to come talk to you and let you know what's going down in Lebanon) and there were some thirty odd people there (over a third of our class). Just to let you guys know, we are SO excited to have you coming to interview here and are looking forward to seeing you all.

Yup... Oh btw.. we had a student ambassadors meeting today (which are basically the students that want to come talk to you and let you know what's going down in Lebanon) and there were some thirty odd people there (over a third of our class). Just to let you guys know, we are SO excited to have you coming to interview here and are looking forward to seeing you all.

I am equally excited! See you very soon!:thumbup:

So excited about coming up for the interview on the 10th, as well!!!

This year, they are (sadly) not doing a bus tour around town for the interviewees. If you can, try to schedule in some time to drive around the city and get a feel for what Lebanon is like. The town's quite friendly and there's quite a lot of things you can do if you're an outdoorsy person.

Also a heads up. I drove to Lebanon yesterday, and it looks like they are going to be closing exit 233 on the 5th. You can get there via exit 234A and B, and just take some side streets to get to Santiam Hwy.

Just scheduled the 10/1 interview, anyone else going to be there?

Just scheduled the 10/1 interview, anyone else going to be there?

I'll also be there, just got the phone call yesterday. Do you guys know what the accredidation status of the school is?

We do have accreditation largely thanks to the fact the accreditation body considers the Pomona and Lebanon campus to be "one school". Thus Pomona's accreditation status extends to this campus too.

Since the school is officially completed, does that mean that classes aren't going to be streamed from the California school?