Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Started by JamesLMT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

So where is everyone from? Are they looking specifically for people from the NW? I'm an Idahoan, so hopefully that will work in my favor (Lord knows it doesn't work in my favor for most schools).

I'm from Minnesota! If I'm leaving the midwest, I'm glad that I'm leaving for the northwest : )
 
Whew, I got nervous when y'all were getting acceptance calls yesterday and I didn't, but I got the call today, congrats DO2016 class!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey so do you guys already in school think that it would be possible to work w part time job while in school (I'm thinking 12 hours on a Sat or Sun every other weekend)? Thanks in advance. Oh and I have already committed to Western
 
Hey so do you guys already in school think that it would be possible to work w part time job while in school (I'm thinking 12 hours on a Sat or Sun every other weekend)? Thanks in advance. Oh and I have already committed to Western

I wouldn't do it. So, we have a test about every other week or every two weeks. When you have a test weekend you will be hitting the books and or lab pretty much that whole weekend. I guess if you found the right job you could do it every other weekend but you are going to be working so hard already, stretched thin, stressed and tired. Some students more so than others. On weekends off it's better to catch up on sleep, spend some family time, or do some activities to get your mind off school. I guess cost vs benefit, you are not going to be making enough money that it'll be worth your "free weekends" unless you're getting paid like hundreds an hour....I cherish them 🙂
 
Tests are often on Monday =)

Congrats to everyone who were accepted thus far! Be sure to join the FB group for the 2016 class (link on previous page) and start getting to know your fellow peers
 
Hey so do you guys already in school think that it would be possible to work w part time job while in school (I'm thinking 12 hours on a Sat or Sun every other weekend)? Thanks in advance. Oh and I have already committed to Western

For some reason the board seems to have eaten my response. Anyhow, I don't think that is any reason why you couldn't work a part time gig, but I think you should ask yourself why. For those hours, I doubt that you're doing it to pay the bills. So is the job better than: sleeping, eating, hanging out with new friends or catching up with old ones, studying, and/or enjoying the outdoors? If it is, then I'd reconsider the decision to leave it for medicine, LOL. Just my $.02
 
So where is everyone from? Are they looking specifically for people from the NW? I'm an Idahoan, so hopefully that will work in my favor (Lord knows it doesn't work in my favor for most schools).

Fellow Idahoan here...I'm from Meridian and currently live over in Boise. How about you?
 
For some reason the board seems to have eaten my response. Anyhow, I don't think that is any reason why you couldn't work a part time gig, but I think you should ask yourself why. For those hours, I doubt that you're doing it to pay the bills. So is the job better than: sleeping, eating, hanging out with new friends or catching up with old ones, studying, and/or enjoying the outdoors? If it is, then I'd reconsider the decision to leave it for medicine, LOL. Just my $.02
Actually my job is in medicine. I think what I will do is drop down to part time and see how it works that 1st month. If it is too much I will quit.
 
Actually my job is in medicine. I think what I will do is drop down to part time and see how it works that 1st month. If it is too much I will quit.

Keep in mind A&P is going to be a lighter schedule then the rest of the year. So keep asking yourself if it's working for you as your schedule changes.
 
Actually my job is in medicine. I think what I will do is drop down to part time and see how it works that 1st month. If it is too much I will quit.

Well, you need to do what is best for you but you should also think of your employer and the work they need to do to replace you. I assume you're an EMT or similar? How does your job answer the questions I asked? Med school isn't "hard"; instead, it's a ton of material moving super fast (insert tired drinking from firehose analogy here) and it's easy to fall behind from a single test. More than anything, I (and my classmates) don't want you to get stressed out any more than what is bound to happen. Good luck and I look forward to meeting you next year!
 
My secondary application has been done for a little while now, but I am still waiting on my physician LOR. Do y'all think I am way too late in the application cycle or do I still have a chance?

33R (11,11,11) 3.7cGPA 3.4sGPA
Oregon resident

:xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also coming from Idaho! Boise, to be specific. Interviewing on December 10th as of now, though hoping to jump on November 12th if a spot opens up. Seems like such a great school. Also very much looking forward to going through Bend on the way and making a stop at Deschutes 🙂
 
If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to work concurrently with school?
I love the interactions that I have with pt's, and I'm worried that when I start medical school I will really miss that. I also love the people that I work with as well (management not so much, but my co-workers and the firefighters)
 
I love the interactions that I have with pt's, and I'm worried that when I start medical school I will really miss that. I also love the people that I work with as well (management not so much, but my co-workers and the firefighters)

As a former paramedic, I agree. You will miss everything about the job that makes it so great. If you can keep doing it, then by all means, continue. It's just that you're going to be shortchanging yourself by stretching yourself too thin. Instead of working, why not spend that time just going back to whereever and hanging out with your co-workers/friends? I promise that that time will be better spent. A good time would be going back for base station/chart review day (unless you guys do them at the same time). Then, most of your co-workers will be also off duty and you will be able to maximize your time. I think everyone will agree that time management becomes one of your highest priorities in medical school. Good luck and enjoy your time off until next August!
 
I submitted my secondary, payment, and LORs (interfolio) on 10/16. What sort of timeline am I looking at to become complete? To get an interview invite (hopefully)? Thanks!
 
I submitted my secondary, payment, and LORs (interfolio) on 10/16. What sort of timeline am I looking at to become complete? To get an interview invite (hopefully)? Thanks!

You should get an email confirming that your file is complete soon if you havent already. Then, I would say you'd probably hear back within 3 weeks of that- either a call saying you have an interview or an email/letter putting you on hold or saying that they do not wish to interview you. If you haven't heard anything in 3 weeks, it never hurts to call and ask the status of your application. Good luck!
 
I realize the likelihood of a detailed answer is low at a new school but is there anything extraordinarily great about the rotation sites for 3rd year?

As it was the first interview of the year for me I made the mistake of not really cataloging what I liked about the school other than I liked it in general. Unfortunately at my other interviews I did a better job at this and am having trouble making up a pros/ cons to compare well with my other acceptance.
 
I realize the likelihood of a detailed answer is low at a new school but is there anything extraordinarily great about the rotation sites for 3rd year?

As it was the first interview of the year for me I made the mistake of not really cataloging what I liked about the school other than I liked it in general. Unfortunately at my other interviews I did a better job at this and am having trouble making up a pros/ cons to compare well with my other acceptance.

Remember: we may be a new campus, but not a new school, and they have had the northwest track for years, so rotation sites are already set up.
One pro that I heard was that because of the rural setting and few students, we will get a lot more hands on experience on our rotations than other students.
 
I need a new laptop before I start next year. I love Macs but saw that the school will not support them unless they have the Windows Operating System preinstalled using Boot Camp. Is anyone in the current class using this set up? I'm a bit nervous about running the windows OS on the mac. I've heard good and bad things about it. Just exploring my options at this point. Thoughts??? Advice??
 
I need a new laptop before I start next year. I love Macs but saw that the school will not support them unless they have the Windows Operating System preinstalled using Boot Camp. Is anyone in the current class using this set up? I'm a bit nervous about running the windows OS on the mac. I've heard good and bad things about it. Just exploring my options at this point. Thoughts??? Advice??

I do and it isn't a problem. It doesn't matter what OS you run.
 
They only discourage it because IT can't help you if your computer ever crashes or gets a virus. With macs, you have apple genius bar anyways. But yeah, hold off till next summer to get that mac
 
I need a new laptop before I start next year. I love Macs but saw that the school will not support them unless they have the Windows Operating System preinstalled using Boot Camp. Is anyone in the current class using this set up? I'm a bit nervous about running the windows OS on the mac. I've heard good and bad things about it. Just exploring my options at this point. Thoughts??? Advice??

I was worried about that too and explored a bunch of different options regarding bootcamp, etc before school started. I figured I'd just see how it went. It turns out you don't need anything but your mac, and everything works fine. I've never needed IT for anything but I think they probably know how to work macs. If not, you'll be able to ask questions of your fellow students. I would bet that at least half of the inaugural class has a mac.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Current students: How is taking notes in class? Are you using your computers most of the time, or do you use notebooks?
 
I think most people will say that they've had to adapt in one way or another. I used to take notes on my computer in PPT but now I've found that not helpful. So now, I print out all of my lecture notes and handwrite on them. Sadly, Western doesn't provide printed lecture notes 🙁 Oh well. The other nice thing (for me) is that not using my computer means I'm not distracted by the webz. LOL.
 
Got a voicemail about an interview offer as well! Confirming tomorrow. Congrats to everyone else and good luck to those waiting!

Can anyone explain what the NWT entails? I'm originally from Chicago, IL, went to undergrad in Austin, TX, and just wondering if residency selections are strictly limited to the Northwest if coming out of COMP-Lebanon. I understand that the mission statement specifically mentions DOs for the NW, but it isn't binding right?

Thanks for the help!
 
Last edited:
Got a voicemail about an interview offer as well! Confirming tomorrow. Congrats to everyone else and good luck to those waiting!

Can anyone explain what the NWT entails? I'm originally from Chicago, IL, went to undergrad in Austin, TX, and just wondering if residency selections are strictly limited to the Northwest if coming out of COMP-Lebanon. I understand that the mission statement specifically mentions DOs for the NW, but it isn't binding right?

Thanks for the help!
First of all I want to point out that there is no longer the Northwest track. Residency can be anywhere, but they are really looking for people who have a desire to work in the NW. But there is no binding contract or anything like that.
 
First of all I want to point out that there is no longer the Northwest track. Residency can be anywhere, but they are really looking for people who have a desire to work in the NW. But there is no binding contract or anything like that.

Thank you so much! I was a bit confused about that when I saw it on their website, but now I see that they were explaining how the campus evolved into what it is today.

I'm super excited to head NW! As you can see, I've hit the midwest, the south, and now hopefully the NW.
 
how does the acceptance process work? Once you receive an acceptance offer, do you have a time limit from that date? Or is there a preset time for when to accept by, say sometime next year. This question is for all those who have several interviews and offers.
 
Last edited:
how does the acceptance process work? Once you receive and acceptance offer, do you have a time line from that date? Or is there a preset time for when to accept by, say sometime next year. This question is for all those who have several interviews and offers.
I interviewed in September and was offered an acceptance at the end of September. I had until Dec 15th to make the first deposit, and I have until February to make the 2nd deposit. One of the other schools i was accepted to, I had 30 days to make a deposit.
 
Just got the email from Jeannie about the Pizza dinner on November 11th, preceding our interviews the next day. Should be fun...anyone else here going to be there?

Yep, just confirmed that I'm attending!


Where is everyone staying for their interview in Lebanon? Any hotel recommendations?
 
how does the acceptance process work? Once you receive an acceptance offer, do you have a time limit from that date? Or is there a preset time for when to accept by, say sometime next year. This question is for all those who have several interviews and offers.

From what I gather, all offers have a deposit deadline of December 15. People that have offers after that will have a different deadline.

dsoz
 
Anyone know anything about how and where to apply to have student hosting during our interview visit?

Anything to save a bit of money. 🙂
 
I'll be there at the pizza event, I am semi-hosting it. Long story, but it is a good time for you guys to interact with the students without any pressure or anything. Asking honest questions and getting honest answers. As far as rooming with students, send a quick email to Jeannie Davis, she has a list. As far as hotels, I think there was one listed earlier in the thread but as far as last time many, many people stayed in Phoenix inn in Albany. See previous posts for a review. Any other questions send them our way, you have many eager students wanting to get to know you guys. 🙂

EDIT: There are many of the students going to be there, make sure we don't outnumber you guys! lol. Spread the word.
 
Last edited:
I'll be there at the pizza event, I am semi-hosting it. Long story, but it is a good time for you guys to interact with the students without any pressure or anything. Asking honest questions and getting honest answers. As far as rooming with students, send a quick email to Jeannie Davis, she has a list. As far as hotels, I think there was one listed earlier in the thread but as far as last time many, many people stayed in Phoenix inn in Albany. See previous posts for a review. Any other questions send them our way, you have many eager students wanting to get to know you guys. 🙂

EDIT: There are many of the students going to be there, make sure we don't outnumber you guys! lol. Spread the word.

Awesome! Thanks, James. I'm really looking forward to heading out there in a couple weeks (and a little nervous, of course). After the interview, I'll be driving back through Bend on the way home...if anyone's interested in joining me at the Deschutes brewery for a beer, let me know!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone, I just wanted to see if there are any new interview invites sent out recently. Also, any interview invites for those who had their application complete in mid to late October?
 
Hello everyone, I just wanted to see if there are any new interview invites sent out recently. Also, any interview invites for those who had their application complete in mid to late October?

I got an invite last week for a december interview. Good luck.
 
Did anyone else have a "~rj" next to their LOR writer's names on their Webstar? Hope it doesn't mean what I think it means! :lame:
This is probably my #1 school, and I hail from Idaho. Give me a chance! :xf:😍
 
Did anyone else have a "~rj" next to their LOR writer's names on their Webstar? Hope it doesn't mean what I think it means! :lame:
This is probably my #1 school, and I hail from Idaho. Give me a chance! :xf:😍
Mine have -tb next to them. ( I'm thinking it could be the initials of who entered them in maybe)