Western COMP Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc4God

MS-I
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, has anyone else been waitlisted at Western? Has anyone been moved from the waitlist to acceptance?

I interviewed on Feb. 16, and received a letter about a week later saying "the class is currently full." It says I'm a high priority alternate for this class. I'm wondering what my chances are...:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, has anyone else been waitlisted at Western? Has anyone been moved from the waitlist to acceptance?

I interviewed on Feb. 16, and received a letter about a week later saying "the class is currently full." It says I'm a high priority alternate for this class. I'm wondering what my chances are...:confused:

I think your chances are very good. What are your stats? If you have higher numbers, I hear that sometimes they'll pull from those applicants first, even if you have lower stats, Western wants people that really want to be there and let's say if you haven't heard from them in a while that doesn't mean you're not competitive, it just means that they're bogged down with the pile of waitlists and you should express your interest to someone, like to Susan Hanson the director and that will help them pick you rather than you might be bothering them.

I think your chances are very good. What are your stats? If you have higher numbers, I hear that sometimes they'll pull from those applicants first, even if you have lower stats, Western wants people that really want to be there and let's say if you haven't heard from them in a while that doesn't mean you're not competitive, it just means that they're bogged down with the pile of waitlists and you should express your interest to someone, like to Susan Hanson the director and that will help them pick you rather than you might be bothering them.

Every little bit of encouragement helps :) . I actually wrote a letter to Ms. Hansen last night...so it's off in the mail. I figure it can't hurt to let them know how badly I want to go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I was told 2 weeks ago that there are still a lot of spots open. Maybe they think there will be a lot of movement. I was never told I'd be interviewing for a waitlist spot. I'm sure you'll get off the liust if you tell them you really want their school. It sounds like they would have accepted you outright if there was a seat. Hang in there. :)

Hey, 15 people got accepted last year from the high alternate list, but I don't know what your chances are for this year, since the number of applicants has increase dramatically. But if you can, get additional letter of rec and send an update on what you are currently doing (show some interest). By the way, I am from Pasadena and I will be attending Western, so maybe we can carpool

I dont' get it...

I dont get it as well. And I dont get you, why would u mistake COMP for CCOM hustler. Change the forum of what you copy pasted in the above quote

Was what I said really that confusing? Let me attempt to make it even easier to understand if that's possible. Since the class is full, if you have high numbers, they might pick you first from the waitlist. Even if you don't have the higher numbers, express your interest to them and it'll help you. simple, no? Either way, it was to encourage the applicant.

Jiny

Hello, I was also waitlisted at COMP, I interview on 2-16, however I am just on the regular waitlist, my letter did not say I was on a high priority alternate list. Do you think there are two separate lists?

Hello, I was also waitlisted at COMP, I interview on 2-16, however I am just on the regular waitlist, my letter did not say I was on a high priority alternate list. Do you think there are two separate lists?

My letter states that there are 3 rankings for the alternate list: high, mid level and low, it doesn't mention the wait list...maybe that's something different? I interviewed on 2/16...we probably met. I'm Kristen from UCLA, and you are?
Good luck with the waiting!

Hey thanks to all those who've been posting here...it's encouraging to know there's still hope :oops:. I guess I'm counting on people giving up their seat with this next round of deposits being due...$1000 is a lot of money for a seat you don't want....but it's still waiting season...

Good luck to all of us on the waitlist/alternate list!! :scared: <---I read somewhere this is the face of worrying you won't get into med school

Hey Kristin, I'm Katie from New Hampshire, I remember you from the interview day, I just called Cameron at COMP and she explained that there is a high priority list, which means that you would have gotten in except the class is full as of right now. They are going to draw from that list first beginning around april or may. Then there is the regular waitlist/alternate list which they will draw from based on how many people do not send in their deposits. The second round of deposits is due March 15th, so thats when we should see a tiny bit of movement starting. Keep your fingers crossed and happy waiting! :luck:

I just turned down western's offer to me a couple days ago...so you can have my seat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Boo, an acceptance letter without the possibility of an immediate acceptance takes all the fun out of the anticipation.

Hey, I know you! Well, here's hopin' we both get in. Have you heard from the other school you applied to?

what are the stats of everyone who got wait listed recently?

It seems to be the consensus that interviews for Western are now interviews for the waitlist. That's kind of disappointing. :(

I thought I was complete in January, but as it turns out, one of my evaluators didn't submit my evaluation as I had thought. As such, I wasn't complete until late February and I was just now offered an interview. I'm happy to have an interview, but I can't shake the feeling that I would be interviewing for a spot in the class, rather than a waitlist spot, if everything had been submitted like I had planned.

(This is what happened: I had letters from 3 evaluators, but I asked one of my evaluators to submit the recommendation form that was provided by Western. So I sent in 2 out of the 3 letters, and provided my last evaluator with the form, and an envelope that was addressed and stamped. Guess it slipped her mind.) :(

It seems to be the consensus that interviews for Western are now interviews for the waitlist. That's kind of disappointing. :(

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions based off of SDN; don't think that way. Rather, come from the place that if you have an interview, you have a chance at a seat. This is your shot at proving to them that you belong to their school, and more specifically to their class of 2011. I was reading the COMP 2011 thread and I saw that someone called the admissions office, who said that about 75% of the seats are filled. I'd go with that number. It's possible that they are holding some seats for some folks. Anyway, give them your very best; knock them dead on the interview.

Good luck!

Yeah please don't think like that. I think you and others still are very competitive for Western if you're offered an interview and do reasonbly well on it. Let's face it, Western is not the most competitive med school to get into in the nation, and if that's true, being less competitive means that it's a likely back-up for many applicants. Being a likely back up, if that's true, then that means people are likely to give up their seats once they're admitted else where. So it's still early in the game and don't draw any conclusions just yet.

I know at interviews they will ask you "Why Western?" and if you're applying else where they want you to tell them where you would choose at the end. Telling them Western is your #1 choice will help you and it helps at every school because schools want students that want to go there. But obviously say it only if you really mean it. So if Western is your #1(it sounds like it and I'm assuming it is) then make sure someone knows about it.

The quote function seems to be non-functional at the moment, at least for me. I just scheduled my Western COMP interview for Thursday, 4/12 (the earliest they had available.)

As for bringing the heat and knocking 'em dead on my interview - of course I fully intend to do that. Would I be a medical school applicant if I did any less? ;)

Congrats on landing the COMP interview StringerBell, good luck!

I know at interviews they will ask you "Why Western?"

In my interview they never asked me "Why Western" nor did I tell them whether or not they were my #1 choice. I was accepted.

Ah, looks like I'm on the alternate list as well... hopefully on the 15th there will be more openings as that's when the deposit is due.

Congrats on landing the COMP interview StringerBell, good luck!
In my interview they never asked me "Why Western" nor did I tell them whether or not they were my #1 choice. I was accepted.

Thanks for the :luck: .

I think if they ask me, I will tell that them that Western is my first choice
among osteopathic schools in pomona.

Truthfully, they're pretty high on my list, but there are a lot of factors to weigh in making a decision, and I don't think I'd tell anyone outright that they were my #1 choice. :)

I was pretty impressed on the interview day with the school, staff, students, everything. By the time you get to the interview you may be able to answer better than you think :)

I was pretty impressed on the interview day with the school, staff, students, everything. By the time you get to the interview you may be able to answer better than you think :)

To be honest, I think that every time that questions is asked it's unfair...there are many more things that will come into the final decision than you are going to tell the interviewer...like the weather, or cost. But after a day of seeing all the most wonderful aspects of a school, it's not too hard to say they're number one on your list, at that moment. And I think that's all they can expect.

This could just be me rambling...instead of finishing a presentation I have to give tomorrow. I guess I'll go now...

Again, good luck to all of us waitlisted or still interviewing :thumbup:

As your inbox is full, and because it pertains to this thread, I decided to post it here:

thumbaleena said:
I thought my file was complete in early January and I just found out that I was missing a letter as well.

Hi!
Yeah, it's terrible, isn't it? I was really angry and frustrated when I found out about it. However, when I had my evaluation submitted, it only took about a week before they invited me to interview. I received the invitation on a Friday, so maybe you'll get one this Friday, too. Good luck!

Of course, if you and I had been invited in January and interviewed in February, maybe we wouldn't even have to worry about interviewing for the waitlist. :/ Good luck at Western and your other schools, as well!

hopefully i find out in a week from western! i just talked to lynn huckle (touro) on the phone and she (not very friendlily) told me that i just have to wait from sometime between now and june to hear anything from tucom. "please be patient." ugh!

Of course, if you and I had been invited in January and interviewed in February, maybe we wouldn't even have to worry about interviewing for the waitlist.

I'm not sure about that. I was invited in December, but they scheduled me for an interview on March 15. Go figure.

Anyway, good luck to everyone!

hopefully i find out in a week from western! i just talked to lynn huckle (touro) on the phone and she (not very friendlily) told me that i just have to wait from sometime between now and june to hear anything from tucom. "please be patient." ugh!

Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck with Touro-CA either, and I would like to go there, all things being equal, due to its proximity to home. If an interview materializes, then I will be glad to go on it, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Meanwhile, I think I'll just go knock 'em dead on my Western interview. I have family near Pomona who are rooting for me to get in there :)

I'm not sure about that. I was invited in December, but they scheduled me for an interview on March 15. Go figure.

Anyway, good luck to everyone!

hey i am interviewing that day too. see u there. btw are u staying at the recommended shilo inn?

That's awesome! :thumbup: Glad to see another SDNer there. I'm actually staying at the Sheraton; it looked like a good deal.

The Sheraton is super nice. Be prepared to pay for breakfast though, since they don't have a free one :thumbdown: Good Luck!!

Hey, I am interviewing that day too. The good thing is that by the time they go through our applications, some spot should open, since there would be people that will not turn in their deposit. :luck:
See you guys there.

Hey, I am interviewing that day too. The good thing is that by the time they go through our applications, some spot should open, since there would be people that will not turn in their deposit. :luck:
See you guys there.

Hey, another SDNer going to the March 15th interview. See you there, and good luck!!! :luck: :thumbup:

Yepp.... waitlisted here. Interviewed on Feb 26th. No indication as to whether I'm "high alternate" or "low alternate" though. It's all OK because I got my first acceptance to Touro-NY today as well. :D OK time to pass out....

Yepp.... waitlisted here. Interviewed on Feb 26th. No indication as to whether I'm "high alternate" or "low alternate" though. It's all OK because I got my first acceptance to Touro-NY today as well. :D OK time to pass out....

Congrats on the acceptance! :D

I just wanted to wish all of the March 15th interviewees well! I hope that the day goes well, and that you get the same interviewers I had...they were very nice!
:idea:If you think you can ask without upsetting anyone...see what they say about the class being full...?? I'm sure we'll all want to know what our actual chances of getting in this year are.

Yeah, good luck March 15th people. I have an interview tomorrow too, but at UNECOM. I'll see how it stacks up against Western. I think I'm interviewing for the waitlist there too, gotta love that!

hmm.. I interviewed on Feb. 26th and at my interview they told us the class was about 75% full. I actually have not heard back from COMP yet which worries me. I guess I'll have to call tomorrow and find out.

Any others interview on Feb 26th and already find out if they got in or not?

I ask admissions and they said the class is temporarily full, yet some spots could potentially open after today. :luck:

I ask admissions and they said the class is temporarily full, yet some spots could potentially open after today. :luck:

Thanks, luna. How was your interview? I hope everything went well and that you knocked them dead.

I had a tough interview. :( I felt that my interviewers threw everything at me possible, from where I applied, where I interviewed (these caught me off-guard and seemed unorthodox), to my past grades/MCAT score, ethical scenario, and much more. I had to the wipe the sweat from my brow, it was so tough. I felt as if the only thing they didn't ask me was what color my bathroom rug was. J/k. They worked me, though. :laugh:

Oh well, best of luck to you, and I hope you find an acceptance letter in your mail box two weeks from now. :luck:

Yeah, the Western interview, all though not that bad, was a lot tougher than the one at UNECOM.

good luck to you guys interviewing!

yeah i called today and was told that the class is full for now.

they haven't even put me on waitlist.. they want me to submit my grades after i complete school before making a decision.

what do you think that means?

good luck to you guys interviewing!

yeah i called today and was told that the class is full for now.

they haven't even put me on waitlist.. they want me to submit my grades after i complete school before making a decision.

what do you think that means?

Well, at least it means that they're still interested in you! Maybe they're on the fence and want to see you finish strong before they offer you a seat...so do your best :) . It seems that you're no worse off than those of us who are on the waitlist for now...