Western COMP Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is may15th similar to the may15th of allo schools?

It's certainly a benchmark, although it's not as hard-and-fast of a deadline. At allo schools, you have to drop all but one of your acceptances. For osteo, it's more a matter of how long you want to keep paying those sky-high deposits. :) But yeah, I think it will still be a significant date for movement.

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know if one can hold a DO acceptance and an MD acceptance past May 15th?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all of you Western hopefuls...
I just want to let you know that another seat has opened up: mine. Good luck to you all in your medical careers, I hope we'll meet as colleagues someday.
God bless!

Thanks for the good news. Has anyone from the waitlist heard anything lately? I was told things should start moving by the end of this month.

Hello all of you Western hopefuls...
I just want to let you know that another seat has opened up: mine. Good luck to you all in your medical careers, I hope we'll meet as colleagues someday.
God bless!

Congrats, Doc4God!
I'm still waiting to hear from Western myself (waitlisted, currently.)

Thanks for the good news. Has anyone from the waitlist heard anything lately? I was told things should start moving by the end of this month.

I would like to think that this is the case, but I don't know...I would anticipate that the end of May will bring the significant movement. However, my group was supposed to submit deposits by April 27, so who knows?

Good luck to everyone...I'm sort of blah about the process, recently. Can't wait to just get started with the rest of my life. :)

totally agree with you there stringerbell.

i called western yesterday and they said i had good chances... but let's see how it goes.

how are you guys showing your interest in the school?

Doc4God congrats on LLUSOM!!!! (and thanks for freeing up a seat for the rest of us!!!) Hope you have a great first year!

still no news!!! I am emailing to show interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where in the process are you?
Post-interview waiting or already waitlisted?

I am a high alternate waiting for a spot to open up. I have contacted the admissions office but each time they just tell me that we will be notified by mail or phone when we are accepted and give no other information. I wish I knew where I stood.

I am a high alternate waiting for a spot to open up. I have contacted the admissions office but each time they just tell me that we will be notified by mail or phone when we are accepted and give no other information. I wish I knew where I stood.

I'm also high alternate. Judging from SDN, there seems to be a lot of us, and I hope there's room for us all. I've noticed that some people are withdrawing from Western, and hopefully that'll make for enough room for those of us waiting.

I've submitted a letter of interest, although I think that's the only action I'm going to take. (I'm not going to try to keep contacting the admissions office.) Right now, I think I'm going to just take the word "waitlist" seriously, and just wait. I have an acceptance, so I feel better about the ability to just wait, and not go crazy, though. :)

totally agree with you there stringerbell.
i called western yesterday and they said i had good chances... but let's see how it goes.

Silly question, but when they said you had good chances, did they mean you (specifically) have a good chance of gaining admission, or high waitlisters have a good chance of gaining admission?
Or maybe that you have a good chance, as compared to other high waitlisters?

(There's probably no way of you knowing that...but I thought I'd ask anyway.) :)

Silly question, but when they said you had good chances, did they mean you (specifically) have a good chance of gaining admission, or high waitlisters have a good chance of gaining admission?
Or maybe that you have a good chance, as compared to other high waitlisters?

(There's probably no way of you knowing that...but I thought I'd ask anyway.) :)

hey haha well i am pretty sure they meant all of us high waitlisters because I don't think she opened my file...I just gave her a first name and she started talking right away.
but it would be nice if she meant me ... hahaha jk

I just re-read my alternate list letter, and am paying lots of attention to this tidbit...

"...within a few weeks the second level of commitment occurs in our admission process. At that time we will be in a position to offer additional seats and the possibility of your matriculation into our program is a reality. We hope that you will remain strongly committed to our program; and keep us informed of that interest. Your continued interest is an important factor in our decision."

So, obviously, it's a good idea to show continued interest. The question is, how? I'm not going to try to bombard them with phone calls. I've written them a letter of interest, and I'm going to ask one of my current professors to write an update letter, specifically tailored to being accepted from the waitlist. I hope that will help!

bump. any news anyone?

nope no news here yet. I am hoping soon though since it's May 15th.

bump. any news anyone?

My admissions counsellor at COMP, Amber, gave me this small tidbit of information - all of the deposit deadlines have passed, meaning that the deposit is no longer a mitigating factor in who decides to keep their acceptance. (i.e., if a person was holding two acceptances and wanted to decide on which school to attend, they might have made the decision before the deposit deadline in order to avoid having to pay both deposits.)

Because of that, there is no longer any pressure on these individuals to make a decision in a timely fashion. Students deciding between Western and another school may now take their time to make a decision, and, as Amber puts it, "From here on, it is a matter of people informing us they would like to withdraw from the class."

In my opinion, this is neither good news or bad news, because we will still be waiting on other students to make their decision (which is what we were doing anyway, right?) But this should probably help us realize that May 15 isn't really that big of a date, and we shouldn't be expecting a flood of post-May-15 acceptances.

i just emailed ms. hanson, and she said the class is full, there may be waitlist movement, and the last last day for that is AUG 17! yay for more waiting :(

yup i called this week too hoping for something but got the same answer as you stringerbell.

i guess we just have to hope some of the people start getting into other schools (maybe they're waiting for an MD school) and withdraw from Western.

i guess we just have to hope some of the people start getting into other schools (maybe they're waiting for an MD school) and withdraw from Western.

Yeah, there's really going to be a domino effect...
Someone is going to get into their first-choice MD school off of a waitlist, opening up a spot at their state MD school which is offered to someone from their waitlist, and they'll open up a spot for us. Which may make us the last to find out...

By no means, however, does that put us at the bottom of the barrel. We're prepared for med school, and hopefully the schools at which we end up are the right fit for us.

But there is indeed hope...after all, the person who started this thread withdrew from Western when she got into Loma Linda.

Looks like my cousin will be withdrawing his acceptance in order to attend Albany Medical College, so that works out for us.

Looks like my cousin will be withdrawing his acceptance in order to attend Albany Medical College, so that works out for us.

Anyone else feel like they're waiting in line at a Deli, with their numbered ticket in hand...except you don't know what your number is?

Make mine pastrami, on rye, brown mustard and horseradish.

ooo i hope that's soon so that we can get in soon! this waiting is getting pretty tough now! i just want to know where i'm going!
haha

has anyone heard any good news about movement? I have read a couple of people stating that they gave up their seats but I haven't found that anyone has received an invitation from the waitlist. I agree with everyone, the waiting is brutal.

has anyone heard any good news about movement? I have read a couple of people stating that they gave up their seats but I haven't found that anyone has received an invitation from the waitlist. I agree with everyone, the waiting is brutal.

yeah when i called last week i was told that the committee hadn't met in a while and that they would meet whenever a new seat opened up... maybe people are just now starting to withdraw?
also... what if they have too many people going to Western right now? (more people accepted the seats than they had thought?) i dunno i hope not!

*bump*

i've heard a few people have started withdrawing from Western... has anyone heard from Western in the past few days?

*bump*

i've heard a few people have started withdrawing from Western... has anyone heard from Western in the past few days?

really? hope we hear soon then!

Hey guys, I just got a call from COMP yesterday, I was offered a spot, I am going to take a day or two to think about it, but there is a good chance I will not be taking the spot.

Good luck to everyone....

Hey guys, I just got a call from COMP yesterday, I was offered a spot, I am going to take a day or two to think about it, but there is a good chance I will not be taking the spot.

Good luck to everyone....

Grats! What is the other school in question? It is a great decision to make:)

I just withdrew my acceptance at Western. One of you will get my spot. Good luck to those who are waiting. :luck:

I just withdrew my acceptance at Western. One of you will get my spot. Good luck to those who are waiting. :luck:

Thanks, Papillon! Where are you going to go, instead?

Hey guys, I just got a call from COMP yesterday, I was offered a spot...there is a good chance I will not be taking the spot.

Whoa, I guess the waitlist is starting to move! YAY! Manannaik, which schools are you deciding between?

congrats to those of you that got accepted and THANK YOU for withdrawing :)

i hope this brings good news this week!

Hey guys, thanks again

I weighing Midwestern and also my home school of Wayne State (Still on the waitlist) and Finch (Waitlist)

Well I just called Amber Degelia and left a message that I will not be using the seat that opened up. I wish one of you guys get my seat.

Good luck to all.....

I must be crazy to give up gorgeous socal to want to stay in the cold :)

Good luck to all, thanks again for your support guys :)

I weighing Midwestern and also my home school of Wayne State (Still on the waitlist) and Finch (Waitlist)

I waited on the Wayne State waitlist forever and ever.
I finally got removed from it. They said there would be very little waitlist movement, and then they rejected a bunch of people off of the waitlist. Obviously, you were higher up than I am, but that seems to be the word out of Wayne.
Good luck!

QUOTE=manannaik;5231902]Hey guys, thanks again

Well I just called Amber Degelia and left a message that I will not be using the seat that opened up. I wish one of you guys get my seat.

Good luck to all.....

I must be crazy to give up gorgeous socal to want to stay in the cold :)

Good luck to all, thanks again for your support guys :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for giving us a better chance! I wish you the best in whatever path opens up for you.

I'm going to be commuting from Calabasas and going to through Pasadena and we have another classmate that's commuting from the Valley...maybe we could work something out. Are you closer to the 10 or the 210???

It seems like western has the highest stats for their students. Why is that? Is it a really great school, or is it just because of location. How does it compare to pcom?

When I was at the interview I was impressed by mainly four things: the curriculum is well thought out, the faculty seems to be responsive to their student's needs, and the lectures are video/audio recorded, and the students seem to be happy and helpful.

It seems like western has the highest stats for their students. Why is that? Is it a really great school, or is it just because of location. How does it compare to pcom?

I would resist the temptation to judge the quality of school based solely on the average statistics of their matriculants, i.e. MCAT and UGPA. There are a number circumstances that can cause these averages to become skewed. Looking at these statistics can provide a general idea of the competitiveness of a school, but it doesn't give the whole picture of the admissions process, nor does competitiveness based on numbers only, suggest the quality of a school.

While all schools look at the complete applicant during the admissions process, some schools will emphasize these statistics more than others. I think there is some active recruitment going on in that Western invites some of it's applicants for high-priority interviews, pre-secondary, presumably based on numbers. I have also heard it suggested that a significant number of applicants come from CA (close to one third of the total applicant pool and a little more than 60% of matriculants, according to a previous post that listed application statistics) and/or tend to also apply to other CA medical schools, which also tend to have higher average statistics.

When choosing a school, it is best to use criteria that are important to you; thus it is a highly individual choice. In order to aid in your comparison between PCOM and Western, we would need to know your criteria. Location is a frequently cited factor that makes Western stand out. It is located in Southern California and very close to some attractive areas. I never cared for Pomona, however. Western hasn't been doing so hot with board pass rates in the past, so they reinvented their curriculum to address this issue. I think the modified curriculum looks pretty good. Also, Western is one of the schools that teaches cranial-sacral, if that floats your boat. What also caught my attention was that Western has a lot of students in different fields; they have a host of other professional schools and students on campus and they grant other degrees. It is also my understanding that classes for the most part aren't mandatory and all lectures are recorded and readily available online.

Doing a search and looking at the interview feedback can provide more data.

That's great, thanks. :)
Now I wonder who Amber is going to call next...

According to an e-mail from Amber DeGelia today:

"The class is pretty much settled; there have not been a lot of withdrawals lately. "

Not very good news for people looking to get in. :(
It looks like withdrawals/offers at this point will be more of a trickle (2-3?) than a flood.

"The class is pretty much settled; there have not been a lot of withdrawals lately. "

It looks like withdrawals/offers at this point will be more of a trickle (2-3?) than a flood.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Good thing I gave up hope with Western a while back.

Sorry to hear that SB. :( I hope it works out for the best for all involved.