western medicine vs Chinese herbal remedies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmd4me@510

druggist_2_be
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What should the pharmacist do if he found out that one of his patients with serious health conditions is quitting his/her western medicine regimen for a Chinese herbal remedy?

Members don't see this ad.

pharmd4me@510 said:
What should the pharmacist do if he found out that one of his patients with serious health conditions is quitting his/her western medicine regimen for a Chinese herbal remedy?

I would personally do nothing. The patient already has serious health conditions. If its terminal, I would favor chinese herbal remedies because for one thing, they have less toxicities and thus a better quality of life for the patient.

I doubt the chinese herbal rememdy would do much for the patient, but if it has survive thousands of years of medicine, its worth a try.

I agree. Most patients with serious illnesses, especially those who are terminally ill, look to Alternative medicine like they would look to religion. Why take away that glimmer of hope for them? I'm not sure if the herbal remedy would be effective, but i know that it would offer peace to the patient if he/she is trying to escape from the pills and visits.

Members don't see this ad :)
I concur - I wouldn't "do" anything. If asked my opinion, I'd give it. But, I wouldn't volunteer it unless asked.

I'm sorry. I didn't make my post clear enough. I meant to say the patient has serious health problems, but western medications can help control it. The patient quits because he doesn't believe it can help him and on top of that, he doesn't like the side effects. Would this change anything?

pharmd4me@510 said:
I'm sorry. I didn't make my post clear enough. I meant to say the patient has serious health problems, but western medications can help control it. The patient quits because he doesn't believe it can help him and on top of that, he doesn't like the side effects. Would this change anything?

I'd still not "do" anything. A patient relationship must be an active one with you or any provider.

Now...to clarify some more....did the pt offer this information to you directly (not thru a tech, other pharmacist, the daughter, etc...) If so, was it done in a frustrated manner as a way of asking you a question or perhaps as a goodbye, it was good to know you, but I'm off to my herbalist from now on.

Also.....if the information was offered to you....did you have a dialog? What does he perceive the medication should be doing which its not? What side effects is he experiencing which are unpleasant? Has he spoken with his physician?

If this information was DIRECTLY to me....I would educate him on what his expectations of the medication are & if they coincide with what the medication can actually do. I'd do the same with the side effects. Then...knowing what the medication related problems are, I'd offer to contact the prescriber to help find something which will perhaps be more suitable.

However, there may be nothing to offer. Medications are great, but they don't solve all problems & they all come with a negative. Remember also, this kind of frustration may not be about what the pt says it is - it could be frustration with insurance reimbursement of his medication or office visits, poor provider relations, the realization he now has a chronic illness - lots of things.

It can also be a reflection of culture alone. You can't fight what Grandma says has always worked. You'll gain nothing by saying Grandma is wrong. You can only be a supportive place for information & a place the pt can come to talk, even if you no longer dispense his medication.

That's just me.......others might have equally valid & different opinions.

sdn1977 said:
That's just me.......others might have equally valid & different opinions.

Well except for mine, my opinion is usually a bit more important than SDN1977. But it's cool, we've discussed it and it doesn't hinder our professional relationship anymore :D

Eastern Medicine based on restoration of 'Ki' through balancing of othe Ying/Yang by diagnosing a patient though checking the pulse on the wrist is not highly sceintific. At the same time, the herbal medicine does provide valuable vitamins and nutrients. But I question the consistency of potency of the medications and also of a concern is the heavy metal contamination of herbs.

Then again, cultural belief in healing has its' merit.

Leave those patients alone.. unless that patient is your own family..then knock some sense into them and buy them a big jar of Centrum, B&C complex and Vitamin E 400IU.

Are you talking about that kid who is refusing cancer treatments and using herbal stuff instead? The court is trying to force him to take his chemo, taking his parents to court for "child abuse" and such. Complicated situation...

~Meg

WVUPharm2007 said:
I was told Chinese medicine is based on this bizarre "Cold vs. Hot" thing.

Yin and Yang... positive and negative energy which has to be in balance. When it's out of balance, that's when illness occurs. Didn't WVU learn you this stuff?

yinyangok3.gif

Eh, so. They're still worthless. And if they aren't worthless, the chemical that does whatever can be extracted and purified to wind up superior to the stupid plant. Damn worthless plants. The better be thankful they make oxygen or I'd have them all killed. As soon as we evolve away from oxygen use, they're toast.

I just spent a month in China (this summer) studying Chinese Herbal Medicine as an elective. I learned that the Asian people can be very stubborn, and tend to shun Western Medicine. I agree - just leave the patient alone. :)