Western or Midwestern Podiatry???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdpPOD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Before I ask my question, here's some background info...
I'm from SoCal and I have been accepted into the POD programs at Western and Midwestern, and I am waiting to hear back form CSPM.

My dilemma:
I have to decide to decline or accept Western in a couple of days. So, which school would you choose to attend if you had the choice between Western and AZPOD?

My personal thoughts:
Western:
Positives=
1. Close to home (1 1/2 hour drive)
2. Clinics are probably busy and you'll have a lot of hands-on practice before residency
3. The faculty and students are the most friendly compared to the other schools I visited.

Negatives=
1. The location and campus are not great
2. It's expensive to live in the area, the program is still new and finding it's place among the other schools
3. Based on what I've read on other posts, the POD students seem to have an overload of classwork. I'm a very active person; so, if I can't find time to take care of my own health and workout, I probably won't be very happy with the program.

Midwestern:
Positives=
1. Nice, safe campus and location
2. They have a reputable POD program
3. Reasonable living costs
4. Students are friendly.
5. There's a gym on campus!

Negatives=
1. Worried that the clinics might not be busy enough to get a lot of hands- on experience
2. farther from home (5 1/2 hour drive)
3. faculty did not seem to be very personable with the interviewees, which leads me to believe they are not very personable in general. Also, I was a little disappointed that we did not meet the Dean of the program, and I wonder if that says something about the faculty, but I could be wrong.
4. One other thing, everything is done on an iPad. Though some may think this is great, I'm old-fashioned and like to use paper and pen to make notes because I learn better. Plus, I don't like staring at bright screens all day.

Any advice is appreciated! Correct me on any points I've made if they are not true! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in your same boat. I've interviewed at Temple, NYCPM, and Western (just last week). I've been accepted to Temple and NYCPM so far and I'm waiting for Westerns response. I really like Western because it's close to home and I like that all the classes are integrated with the DO's (similar to Midwestern).

For me, as long as I'm accepted to Western I will go. If I don't get in, I have scheduled my interview at AZPOD for later this month. I agree with you about Midwestern being a cheaper place to live, but I would still rather be in a familiar place with cooler temperatures. AZ is miserable in the summer months. I feel like both schools will challenge us equally, so for me my decision is purely do to location.

As for not having time to worry about yourself. I think you'll find the time as long as you plan out you day and don't waste time doing things that aren't of importance.

How did Western contact you? Do you really have to wait for the letter in the mail (no call or email)?

Thanks for your input Izu8413!

Western contacted me first by email and then I received the letter later the next week. It only took 4 days to find out if I was accepted, but I was also in the first group to be interviewed. That could be why I found out so soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in your same boat. I've interviewed at Temple, NYCPM, and Western (just last week). I've been accepted to Temple and NYCPM so far and I'm waiting for Westerns response. I really like Western because it's close to home and I like that all the classes are integrated with the DO's (similar to Midwestern).

For me, as long as I'm accepted to Western I will go. If I don't get in, I have scheduled my interview at AZPOD for later this month. I agree with you about Midwestern being a cheaper place to live, but I would still rather be in a familiar place with cooler temperatures. AZ is miserable in the summer months. I feel like both schools will challenge us equally, so for me my decision is purely do to location.

As for not having time to worry about yourself. I think you'll find the time as long as you plan out you day and don't waste time doing things that aren't of importance.

How did Western contact you? Do you really have to wait for the letter in the mail (no call or email)?

What was your opinion of NYCPM? Any reason aside from location that you'd choose Western over the East coast schools?

My personal thoughts:
Western:
Positives=
1. Close to home (1 1/2 hour drive)
2. Clinics are probably busy and you'll have a lot of hands-on practice before residency
3. The faculty and students are the most friendly compared to the other schools I visited.

Negatives=
1. The location and campus are not great
2. It's expensive to live in the area, the program is still new and finding it's place among the other schools
3. Based on what I've read on other posts, the POD students seem to have an overload of classwork. I'm a very active person; so, if I can't find time to take care of my own health and workout, I probably won't be very happy with the program.

Positives:
1) Being home is a good thing, but you won't be able to go home often if ever.
2) Honestly, I think clinics are busy everywhere.
3) The podiatry faculty is nice, but the majority of the time you'll be learning from professors that teach the DO program. On average you'll see the podiatry faculty about 4 hours a week, the rest of the 25-30 hours will be with the DO professors who teach the systems class.

Negatives
1) Location of campus itself is not great, but few students live nearby. Drive 15 mins in any direction and things get WAY better
2) It's expensive if you want to live in a nice area nearby, you can live cheaply if you REALLY wanted to
3) That depends on how much you workout, I find time to go to the gym twice a week

What was your opinion of NYCPM? Any reason aside from location that you'd choose Western over the East coast schools?
I loved NYCPM, and if it fit my family situation better I would go there. Since I'm married and my wife and I are planning to have a kid in the next year or so we would like to have our families near by to help while I'm slaving away at school. I loved the clinic in NYCPM. Loved the city. However, I think it would be tough on my wife to move across the country where we have no friends/family for the most part.

Yikes! Tough choices.

If I were in your position the first thing I would do is make a call to Western and ask for a few another week or two to make a decision. It is more than likely that you will be accepted to CSPM and you don't want to rush your decision by any means.

If I had to pick between Midwestern and Western I would choose Midwestern. I had the opportunity of sitting with Dr. Harkless for about an hour and asked him a lot of questions. Great guy but I wasn't impressed by his goals and vision for the program. The Midwestern program has a vision and set goals for the students. Thus, Midwestern would be my choice.

Good luck and congrats.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone!

Before I ask my question, here's some background info...
I'm from SoCal and I have been accepted into the POD programs at Western and Midwestern, and I am waiting to hear back form CSPM.

My dilemma:
I have to decide to decline or accept Western in a couple of days. So, which school would you choose to attend if you had the choice between Western and AZPOD?

My personal thoughts:
Western:

Midwestern:
Positives=
1. Nice, safe campus and location
2. They have a reputable POD program
3. Reasonable living costs
4. Students are friendly.
5. There's a gym on campus!

Negatives=
1. Worried that the clinics might not be busy enough to get a lot of hands- on experience
2. farther from home (5 1/2 hour drive)
3. faculty did not seem to be very personable with the interviewees, which leads me to believe they are not very personable in general. Also, I was a little disappointed that we did not meet the Dean of the program, and I wonder if that says something about the faculty, but I could be wrong.
4. One other thing, everything is done on an iPad. Though some may think this is great, I'm old-fashioned and like to use paper and pen to make notes because I learn better. Plus, I don't like staring at bright screens all day.

Any advice is appreciated! Correct me on any points I've made if they are not true! Thanks!

1. There are plenty of opportunities to get out and do clinical stuff with the homeless clinics. There are other opportunities with marathons/special olympics/whatever other trendy event is going on where you can work on peoples feet as well. You probably wont see much of the clinic across the street.

3. Havent had any problems with faculty not being personable. They are always willing to help when you e-mail them, or will walk you through something during their office hours if you are stuggling. All of the pod staff thus far has been awesome.

4. This is the first year of requiring an Ipad, so who knows if they will stick with it or not. You are more than able to just pull up the powerpoints on a laptop, or print them off to take notes if you prefer the old school method.

5. You are not out of the woods if you think MWU will be a cake walk. The load here is very demanding and everyone has to work their tails off to get decent grades. You will probably find yourself missing out on some workouts depending on the week. Although the gym is a short 1 minute walk from the 24 hour study room that you might possibly live in for 2 years, so its an easy break to take while studying. haha.

same situation.. I actually requested an extension at western.. and got it approved.. but i have made my mind to attend AzPod.. it was probably the most toughest decision, IN EDUCATION, I have made so far!... if you plan to attend AzPod let me know.... GOOD LUCK.

can I ask how you got an extension at a school for handing in the deposit?

Was it as simple as an e-mail or phone call? Did you have to give a really good reason or something?

can I ask how you got an extension at a school for handing in the deposit?

Was it as simple as an e-mail or phone call? Did you have to give a really good reason or something?

Yup.. Basically I emailed the director of admissions who I think is the one who sends out the acceptance emails as well and just requested an extension. She replied asking for a reason. I told her the honest reason that I'm debating between two schools and will like more time. She will ask you how much more time, I asked for 3 weeks more. She said okay I will submit your request for approval and in about 5 minutes or so I got an email saying that my request was approved. But keep in mind that they are on vacation right now, I think until the 3rd.. Good luck.!

Okay, I guess it will depend on the school/director but it's good that you were honest. Thanks!