WESTERN-Pomona vs RVU-CO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenzie123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
WESTERN
match list for western: http://opti-west.org/pdfs/2017_match.pdf

Pros
  • One hour away from home, warm weather
  • Third year rotation sites is "usually within 60 miles of the school"
  • Mandated in class lecture time is decreasing

Cons
  • Average board exam scores lower than RVU
  • Larger class size than RVU

Rocky Vista-CO
match list for rocky vista: http://www.rvu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Residency_MatchList_2017.pdf

Pros
  • Average board exam scores highest of DO schools (allegedly)
  • New place to live, new life experience, 20 min away from Denver.

Cons
  • I can't find anything on their rotation sites, from memory--lottery system between 3 states during third year???? What will fourth year be like?

Summary: I don't know which one will get me into the residency I will want--I'd imagine myself wanting to come back to CA. Western is closer to home, RVU seems to have higher board exam scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Rocky Vista is working on getting 80% of rotations within 4 hours distance. To my understanding it is lottery and definitely varies on where you could end up being Kansas, Nebraska, Western/Southern CO.

Things to consider are if there are cost differences, grading systems ( I know RVU is graded by percentages), What specialty interests you? ( I know RVU has a strong reputation and has done well with matches)

In my opinion it depends on the type of person you are and if being away from home would hurt your focus. Support systems cannot be understated. Also gotta find what fits better.

WESTERN
match list for western: http://opti-west.org/pdfs/2017_match.pdf

Pros
  • One hour away from home, warm weather
  • Third year rotation sites is "usually within 60 miles of the school"
  • Mandated in class lecture time is decreasing

Cons
  • Average board exam scores lower than RVU
  • Larger class size than RVU

Rocky Vista-CO
match list for rocky vista: http://www.rvu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Residency_MatchList_2017.pdf

Pros
  • Average board exam scores highest of DO schools (allegedly)
  • New place to live, new life experience, 20 min away from Denver.

Cons
  • I can't find anything on their rotation sites, from memory--lottery system between 3 states during third year???? What will fourth year be like?

Summary: I don't know which one will get me into the residency I will want--I'd imagine myself wanting to come back to CA. Western is closer to home, RVU seems to have higher board exam scores.
I read an article recently about Western possibly losing some of their rotation spots at Arrowhead in Colton.

Members don't see this ad :)
Easily RVU. Better curriculum, better board scores, and better matches. It's the better school.

“Easily”? Come on now...

OP has expressed desire to eventually end up back in CA. A fair number of CA students go to RVU and that isn’t really represented well in their matches. Could be self-selection for sure, but close to 55% of Western students end up in CA residencies. Seems like pretty good odds if you play your cards even somewhat right.

And board scores - choosing schools based on a few or even several points difference in board score would be missing the big picture that your board performance will be much, much more affected by your own effort, not to mention your fit and happiness at the school.

Better matches? Highly specific to the person, as has been said before on this site. Not to contradict my first point about match location, as there is logic to looking at larger regional trends (lots of Western grads match in CA) as opposed to individual matches. And even so, would disagree wth you having seen both 2018 lists.

Better school is subjective in this case, see above.

Anyways, it’s about what’s a better fit for OP.

The main points I’ve made above about board scores and match have been made over and over on this site by more tenured, wiser posters. And they’re pretty intuitive too...

but close to 55% of Western students end up in CA residencies

Simply being CA matches doesn't mean anything. There are lots of crappy PC residencies in CA and Western puts a lot of people into CA PC residencies. Similar to board scores your matching potential is based a lot on what you want as an applicant. RVU puts you in a better position overall.

And board scores - choosing schools based on a few or even several points difference in board score would be missing the big picture that your board performance will be much, much more affected by your own effort, not to mention your fit and happiness at the school.

True, but the RVU curriculum puts you ahead in your step studying. You don't consistently have one of the highest board averages for DO schools without doing something right.

And even so, would disagree wth you having seen both 2018 lists.

would love to see the a full Western list. I doubt you actually have it unless you are a student there.

Western has a lot of cons: Their curriculum is garbage, they are very OMM heavy, and they are losing Arrowhead as a rotation site due to CUSM. These things matter. The curriculum can significantly impact how much time you have to be able to study for boards on your own, same with lots of OMM. With new MD schools opening in CA Western will be even more affected with regards to their rotation sites. If OP can match back to CA at Western they can easily do it from RVU.

Reactions: 1 user
Simply being CA matches doesn't mean anything. There are lots of crappy PC residencies in CA and Western puts a lot of people into CA PC residencies. Similar to board scores your matching potential is based a lot on what you want as an applicant. RVU puts you in a better position overall.

It does mean something... but from reading a bunch of your posts on this site you clearly have your beliefs (about what's better, superior, inferior, etc.) and they won't be changed, so there's no point in me arguing about these points. Just want to note that what you seem to cite as fact ("RVU puts you in a better position overall") is just an opinion you hold and one that could be easily argued against at that.

True, but the RVU curriculum puts you ahead in your step studying. You don't consistently have one of the highest board averages for DO schools without doing something right.

Great, I maintain my original point that choosing schools based on a few or even several points difference in board score would be unwise because at this level an individual's board performance will be much, much more affected by their own efforts (not to mention their fit and happiness at the school) versus school curriculum.

would love to see the a full Western list. I doubt you actually have it unless you are a student there.

Incomplete list, but already shared with the OP. Will PM you.

Western has a lot of cons: Their curriculum is garbage, they are very OMM heavy, and they are losing Arrowhead as a rotation site due to CUSM. These things matter. The curriculum can significantly impact how much time you have to be able to study for boards on your own, same with lots of OMM. With new MD schools opening in CA Western will be even more affected with regards to their rotation sites. If OP can match back to CA at Western they can easily do it from RVU.

For the incoming class, they're supposedly revamping the curriculum (to include less classroom/group hours) and reducing the weekly OMM hours from 4 to 2, all of which seems like a step in the right direction. But even with the curriculum as is, the Step 1 average has been cited by others on this site to be in the low to mid 220s, which I would imagine is in the top half for DO schools (please correct me if I'm mistaken).

Regarding losing Arrowhead, have heard numerous times (from WesternU students) the place is malignant and not a good rotation site, and I would imagine WesternU students will still match there regardless, though agree that CUSM in the area is not a positive for WesternU.

The only other LCME candidate/applicant program (new MD school) planned to open in CA is Kaiser (aiming for 2019), and they'd be using their own hospitals as site, which wouldn't really affect WesternU. So as an applicant now or even in the next couple of years, there won't be other (that is, other than CUSM) new CA MD schools affecting WesternU rotation sites, contrary to what you state.

Last edited:
Which is to be expected
a few ARMC members stated they are "dissapointed" at the possibility of losing some students from the DO and Caribbean in order to become a full partner clinical site for CalMed ----- ARMC seems like an awesome teaching hospital for clinical experience.