Western programs breakdown: academic, community and hard core county

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Koschei

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm getting pretty interested in staying west of the Mississippi for residency. I've heard a lot as far as the word on the street as to the "best" programs in the region, i.e. Denver for 4 years and Harbor for 3 years, etc.

What I am curious about is what are the real heavy academic sites and what are the places that stress clinical experience? I know this topic has been brought up before but I am most interested in programs in the West. Which programs have a good combination of both academics and clinical stuff? What are the up-and-coming but not-quite-there programs? Are there any good small community type programs out here? Note that I am not asking for a "top" program list, I think there are enough of those out here. Just looking for a survey of program types.

Members don't see this ad.

Quick and dirty over-generalization:

Programs that tend to be more academic-orientated: Stanford, UCLA-Olive View, UCSD.

Programs with heavy clinical emphaisis (your "hard-core" counties): USC, Highland.

The two programs you mentioned, Denver and Harbor, are well-known for a balance of both academics and clinical stuff. Another I would add is UC Davis. Thats why these programs are so good and competitive.

Not to say academic programs don't have enough clinical experience or vice-versa, just giving the the overall feel of the programs.

Up-and-comers...I hear that Oregon (competitive), Loma Linda and UCI are gonna be great.

Don't know much about which are more "community oriented" nor do I know anything about the Arizona programs except from hear-say and scutwork.com. By the way, check out scutwork.com.

UC Davis advertises themselves as a good balance (an indeed they serve as the area's county hospital) but they really feel more academic than county. I mean the clinical stuff is still there, but I felt that I saw way more patients at other places.

OhioInTheWest said:
Quick and dirty over-generalization:

Programs with heavy clinical emphaisis (your "hard-core" counties): USC, Highland.

The two programs you mentioned, Denver and Harbor, are well-known for a balance of both academics and clinical stuff. Another I would add is UC Davis. Thats why these programs are so good and competitive.

QUOTE]

I am a senior at USC. Definitely more clinical than academic. My understanding is that Highland is more academic. Harbor is as well. All three progams are ultra strong and you will get out what you put in.