western programs

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by augmel, Oct 14, 2002.

1. augmel

augmel Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

anyone know the reps of the western programs outside of CA? (UW, OR, UT, NM, CO)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mindy

Mindy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

university of washington is arguably the strongest pathology department in the nation.

I am not certain about any of the other programs.

Mindy

4. augmel

augmel Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

thanks mindy,
    geez, i didn't know that. i guess that is good and bad. great program but it makes staying in washington a lot harder than i thought. does this mean you need to be AOA and boards of 250 to be at uw? do you have any idea what most programs think of taking in their own? i already hang out around the department some (autopsies, cpc conference) so maybe that helps.
    i appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

5. Mindy

Mindy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Augmel...

okay first of all, we both need to go to bed! :)

My gut feeling is that a program director would like to take someone they know over someone they don't know, if they think you are interested and would do a decent job. I would (because that tends to be my personality) make my interest known to the PD, become familiar with members of the department, and demonstrate willingness to participate whenever possible. I don't think you need the stellar record that you implied, because pathology is not as competitive as other fields yet. (Although this may be changing.)

Are you a third or fourth year? If you are a third year, see if you can get in on a research project. I think being academically productive during medical school is an enhancement to anyone's application. Ask the PD, or other source, who may need a hand with a project, and go ask that person.

I think that you have a big edge if you are a UW student. Use it to familiarize yourself with the department.

Mindy

6. augmel

augmel Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Mindy,

i'm actually a second year, so i'm a little early to be worrying. i just figured that this year i actually have some time to spend in pathology. i clearly won't next year, unless i can squeeze in an elective during my one free month.

at uw we have to do publishable research to graduate so i am already working on a chart-review study of pediatric ALL. i wanted to do some bench work but finding someone to take me onto a project when i have no previous research experience proved impossible. does the kind of research i am doing help at all or do path programs want to see basic science stuff? i appreciate your thoughts.