western programs

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by augmel, Oct 14, 2002.

1. augmel

augmel Senior Member

anyone know the reps of the western programs outside of CA? (UW, OR, UT, NM, CO)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mindy

Mindy Senior Member

university of washington is arguably the strongest pathology department in the nation.

I am not certain about any of the other programs.

Mindy

4. augmel

augmel Senior Member

thanks mindy,
    geez, i didn't know that. i guess that is good and bad. great program but it makes staying in washington a lot harder than i thought. does this mean you need to be AOA and boards of 250 to be at uw? do you have any idea what most programs think of taking in their own? i already hang out around the department some (autopsies, cpc conference) so maybe that helps.
    i appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

5. Mindy

Mindy Senior Member

Augmel...

okay first of all, we both need to go to bed! :)

My gut feeling is that a program director would like to take someone they know over someone they don't know, if they think you are interested and would do a decent job. I would (because that tends to be my personality) make my interest known to the PD, become familiar with members of the department, and demonstrate willingness to participate whenever possible. I don't think you need the stellar record that you implied, because pathology is not as competitive as other fields yet. (Although this may be changing.)

Are you a third or fourth year? If you are a third year, see if you can get in on a research project. I think being academically productive during medical school is an enhancement to anyone's application. Ask the PD, or other source, who may need a hand with a project, and go ask that person.

I think that you have a big edge if you are a UW student. Use it to familiarize yourself with the department.

Mindy

6. augmel

augmel Senior Member

Mindy,

i'm actually a second year, so i'm a little early to be worrying. i just figured that this year i actually have some time to spend in pathology. i clearly won't next year, unless i can squeeze in an elective during my one free month.

at uw we have to do publishable research to graduate so i am already working on a chart-review study of pediatric ALL. i wanted to do some bench work but finding someone to take me onto a project when i have no previous research experience proved impossible. does the kind of research i am doing help at all or do path programs want to see basic science stuff? i appreciate your thoughts.