Western Regional Examination Board (WREB)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished the damn thing this afternoon! Let me share with you about the exam.

What you do:

Live patients: 3 procedures
1) Restorative: 52 points/100
- select 2 out of 3 procedures between Class II Amalgam, Class II Composite, or Gold Onlay
- majority selects two Class IIs (Amalgam & Composite)
- Class II lesions must reach the DEJ (minimum)
2) Perio: 10 points/100
- one quadrant of S/RP
- must have 6 teeth in the quadrant
- 2 out of 6 teeth must be posterior teeth in contact
- must have 8 detectable (radiographic or tactile) surfaces of subgingival calculus
- 6 out of 8 subgingival calc must be in posterior teeth
- must have 2 probing readings with at least true 5 mm or greater pockets

Typodont procedures:
1) Endodontics: 18 points/100
- two mounted teeth: one anterior (single root) and one posterior (multiple roots)
- only need to fill one of the canals in the posterior tooth

Computer Exam: you schedule this exam at your local Pearson Vue testing centers
1) Prosthodontics: 10 points/100
- 50 questions on various prostho questions (3D models)
2) Periodontics: 10 points/100
- 50 questions on one patient case

You need a total of 75 points/100 and at least 55% on every section to pass the exam. If you get below 55% in any of the sections and you have a total score above 75/100, then you only have to retake those sections that you received below 55%. If you receive below a 75, then you must retake the entire exam.

This is a 4-day examination:
Day 1: (half day - afternoon) Orientation
- all your questions will be answered here by the examiners, so be sure to ask
Day 2: (full day 7:30 AM-4:30 PM) clinic day
- schedule your restorative and/or perio patients and/or assigned Endo session in sim lab
Day 3: (full day 7:30 AM-4:30 PM) clinic day
- schedule your restorative and/or perio patients and/or assigned Endo session in sim lab
Day 4: (half day 7:30 AM-11 AM) clinic day
- candidates use this clinic time to do catch up if patients "no-shows" on Day 2 or 3
- most candidates do not use this day at all because they're already finished with everything by Day 3

Cost of the exam alone ranges anywhere from $1400 - $1700 depending on where your testing site is. Testing sites are usually hosted by one of the US dental schools across the country. Additional costs included:

1) Endo typodont: $150 (mandatory)
2) Computer exam fee: $180 (mandatory)
3) Patient costs: I heard as low as $50 per patient to $4000 (patient services) for all three patients for clinical procedures
4) Dental assistant: I heard an average around $100 for the entire exam

So the lowest amount of money you may spend on this exam is around $1700 for everything if you don't pay for patients to as high as over $5000 if you pay for patients through a patient providing service/company.

My Experiences

I decided to take this exam because of the following reasons:
1) WREB is currently recognized by 34 states straight out, the most state recognized dental exam out there
2) According to ADA, between the WREB and the ADEX, 47 states will recognize these two exams through credentials (5 years of working experiences)
3) The states that I may end up in to practice all recognizes the WREB (Minnesota, Illinois, and Arizona)
4) The Board of Dentistry of Louisiana will consider the WREB that will allow me to "moonlight" during my residency. Currently Louisiana has its own board exam which I do not want to take if I don't have to.
5) It's literately the easiest dental board examination out there today considering all the required components of the exam in comparison to other dental board exams.
6) It was offered at my dental school (home field advantage)

Overall I feel that the exam was fair, the environment which I took it in was nice because it was my own dental clinic that I go to everyday. The examiners that we were able to interact with were EXTREMELY friendly and approachable which made the exam more relaxing and less fearful.

I had scheduled the computer exam a week prior so I had already completed the computer exam when I entered my clinical portion of the exam. I thought this exam was also fair. The perio section was easy, questions were on medical history, drug interaction and reaction, probing depth calculations, diagnosis, and identify calculus on radiographs. The prostho section was a bit tougher, the 3D model was fun to play with and hypnotizing. It is all clinical assessment, no numerical memorization or where you can just regurgitate answers. This exam solely tests you on what you know from your clinical training and learning.

For my clinical schedule, I scheduled my two restorative procedures on the first full clinic day (Day 2), both were Class IIs (amalgam and composite). Both of my restorative procedures were on teeth from the same patient. So I had this patient all day from 7:30 AM through 3:30 PM, no lunch, we worked straight through. If you have a great patient like mine who doesn't not mind the long period with her jaw open with a rubber dam on, then great, but some patients will complaint of the long treatment! This day, by far, is the most stressful and physical draining day because of the large amount of points involved in these two procedures plus the stress of the grading process (patient approval, preparartion grade, and finishing grade). This is also the day where I had an assistant, I had a 2nd year dental student assist me. I didn't pay for this patient, she was a patient of mine from my dental school.

On Day 3, I had my assigned Endo session in the sim lab in the morning and I scheduled my perio patient in the afternoon. Both events were without incident. By the end of this day once I completed my perio S/RP, I had completed all the WREB procedures which mean that I was not required to return for clinic Day 4. Again, for my perio patient, I did not pay because she was also my dental school patient. I also finished the day early around 3:30 PM.

"Pink slips" = bad news

I didn't receive any "pink slips" so I feel that I did well on this exam and that I've passed. The official score report and result will be issued within 4 weeks from the end of my exam, so around the first week of May, I should learn my fate.

Some bad things happened to others that I've heard:
1) one dude had his perio patient denied and supposedly this patient was "golden" because it was provided by one of the "patient providing service" which was paid large amount of $$

2) one girl had her patient drive to the exam and told her that he couldn't and wouldn't go through the treatment and quit on her!

3) patients get denied for treatment right from the start because insufficient calculus or not deep enough class lesion

4) patient arriving late delaying treatment causing candidates to run late or must continue the next clinical day

5) multiple candidates received "pink slips" for various reasons

Dude, I think I've written enough.........

Members don't see this ad.

hey.. it was very informative post.
thanks for sharing with everyone
good luck :thumbup:

Sigh. I took it a couple weeks ago in CA. It was pure hell! :rolleyes: I think I aged a couple years during that weekend. Thanks for posting your detailed synopsis. I agree w/ everything you said, pretty much. I won't add to your details, but just thought I'd share some thoughts and random horror stories, in no particular order......

1. My BF in my class had ALL her patients rejected (all these patients had been approved by our faculty as good board candidates).....both class IIs rejected, and her perio pt. didn't have enough calculus. She used other people's super crappy backup class II's, and ended up failing due to lack of time and at the very last minute - one examiner found caries (on an MOD, finger extension-ed composite). And she is one of the most respected people in our class as far as quality goes......so you just never know.....

2. My perio pt. has so much calculus, and one thing you can't foresee is how tenacious it is. He had never been to the dentist, and I seriously had carpal tunnel afterwards. I also sliced a papilla off in my haste....not to mention the fact that his tissue was OBVIOUSLY diseased, and very easy to traumatize!! I honestly have NO IDEA if the examiners saw it. If they did, it could be grounds for failure (tissue trauma). I didn't get any pink slips, so we'll see. I'm worried....but what can you do at this point.

3. I personally know 4 people who left caries. The decay EXPLODED, and apparently they graded HARD. Those people have already signed up for the next WREB they could get into!!

4. I also feel that the floor examiners were sooooo nice. I had heard horror stores, and was very pleasantly surprised at how kind they were. They were making jokes with us, all smiles, very helpful. One examiner really talked me through whether I should do an extension or not, and in a round about way - talked me out of without actually coming out and saying it. I loved him for that. I think the actual graders were hard, and my patients all said they were abrupt and rude. It is truly a humiliating experience for the pts. I give all my pts. serious props for going through that.

5. START looking for patients NOW!!!! I was so stressed out towards the end and ended up using my backup pt. at the last minute. I had several pts. drop out on me towards the end, and I was thankful that classmates shared....none of my pts. complained and were totally understanding. It was great. I paid them a small amt. for their trouble.

6. I took the Perio/Pros last Friday and wasn't too surprised. Perio wasn't bad, but Pros was much harder. You sort of didn't know if you were answering correctly for most of them. Whatever, I'm just crossing my fingers! You really can't study for it, honestly.

7. A girl I know had done that "leave 0.5 mm of caries over the pulp" thing, and apparently everything was going well until the last grader poked into the pulp with the explorer. Blood everywhere. ARRGGHHH. Can you believe that?? The pt. was very upset, screamed at the student, and demanded more money for this new inconvenience. It was very stressful for the student, and she doesn't know how this is going to affect her.

sjdent said:
Sigh. I took it a couple weeks ago in CA. It was pure hell! :rolleyes: I think I aged a couple years during that weekend. Thanks for posting your detailed synopsis. I agree w/ everything you said, pretty much. I won't add to your details, but just thought I'd share some thoughts and random horror stories, in no particular order......

1. My BF in my class had ALL her patients rejected (all these patients had been approved by our faculty as good board candidates).....both class IIs rejected, and her perio pt. didn't have enough calculus. She used other people's super crappy backup class II's, and ended up failing due to lack of time and at the very last minute - one examiner found caries (on an MOD, finger extension-ed composite). And she is one of the most respected people in our class as far as quality goes......so you just never know.....

One of my Class II was also a MOD. The proposed lesion was a DO on #4, but the tooth had a LARGE MO composite on it already, that sucker was so large and deep that it already had an existing Ca(OH)2 lining. This was my first procedure during the first full clinic day, I thought I was going to write a novel for Modification Requests, but I didn't because all my concerns were answered by the floor examiners during the orientation Q&A session.

The Floor Examiner simply said that since the tooth has a pre-existing restoration on it, the Grading Examiners will see that on the radiographs and during clinical examination during approval. Floor Examiner further explained that I simply write notes in the "Note-To-Examiners" section explaining the situation. To make matter worse, tooth #5 has a 3 X 3mm periapical radiolucency around the apex which it was treated endodontically back in January. As we all know, the radiolucency will take time to heal (bone remodeling), but it was clearly impenging on the PDL around the apex of #4 (my board tooth) on the radiographs!

Here were my "Notes-To-Examiner" in seeking for this tooth's (#4) approval:
1) Please note tooth #5 was treated endodontically back in 01/06, currently asymptomatic and healing
2) Proposed class II lesion is a DO on #4, but for complete treatment, I would like to include existing MO restoration and treat #4 as a MOD
3) Outline & Internal forms of pre-existing MO on #4 does not follow conventional design

I knew by writing the above 3 "Notes-To-Examiners" and once the Grading Examiners approves the tooth #4, then my a$$ would covered during the procedure and therefore I didn't need to request Modifications during preparation! After I removed all the old composite on MO, dude, that tooth was far from "conventional" preparation design! I was afraid that once I removed the pre-existing Ca(OH)2, I would be so close to the pulp (it looked very close to the pulp), but everything went very smoothly and the prep looked amazing! After removal of MO pre-existing restoration, I then proceed to excavate the new DO lesion without incident. I was very pleased with the end result of the MOD prep, the restoration/finishing was excellent too!

Leaving caries is a HUGE no, no! I can only empathsize.

2. My perio pt. has so much calculus, and one thing you can't foresee is how tenacious it is. He had never been to the dentist, and I seriously had carpal tunnel afterwards. I also sliced a papilla off in my haste....not to mention the fact that his tissue was OBVIOUSLY diseased, and very easy to traumatize!! I honestly have NO IDEA if the examiners saw it. If they did, it could be grounds for failure (tissue trauma). I didn't get any pink slips, so we'll see. I'm worried....but what can you do at this point.

Funny you mentioned all that, my wrist was getting sore too and I scaled for about 2.5 hours and I said I had enough of this! There was one surface that I could not get smooth and that sucker was deep (7 mm), I said screw it, I'll let the Grading Examiners go find it! I too performed some papillectomy, but I don't believe it was severe enough to count as "tissue trauma", again, I too didn't receive any "pink" so who knows? I thought I did well in Perio, but again who knows?

3. I personally know 4 people who left caries. The decay EXPLODED, and apparently they graded HARD. Those people have already signed up for the next WREB they could get into!!

I thought you only loose all the preparation grade (14 points) for that tooth and that's it, no? One can still earn a 75/100 and just redo that one tooth preparation?

4. I also feel that the floor examiners were sooooo nice. I had heard horror stores, and was very pleasantly surprised at how kind they were. They were making jokes with us, all smiles, very helpful. One examiner really talked me through whether I should do an extension or not, and in a round about way - talked me out of without actually coming out and saying it. I loved him for that. I think the actual graders were hard, and my patients all said they were abrupt and rude. It is truly a humiliating experience for the pts. I give all my pts. serious props for going through that.

To the controrary, all my patients said that the Grading Examiners were SUPER nice and considerate, every time my patient walks out, they reiterate how nice they were!

5. START looking for patients NOW!!!! I was so stressed out towards the end and ended up using my backup pt. at the last minute. I had several pts. drop out on me towards the end, and I was thankful that classmates shared....none of my pts. complained and were totally understanding. It was great. I paid them a small amt. for their trouble.

I freaking screened patients until the day before the WREB orientation! Since I elected not to pay for any patient provider services and refuse to pay for my patients, I had to do extra work to find patients. Luckily I found my primary patients within my dental school family, but at the time, I didn't feel that they were perfect board patients! For example, my MOD clas II patient, when I showed the radiograph to classmates, they all thought that I was crazy for doing to tooth #4 for boards with a large and deep MO pre-existing restoration on it, plus it already had a base liner! So I was screening like crazy for more potential better patients to be my primary restorative patients and potentially as back-up patients! Oh btw, my patients were excited as it is when I told them that I was going to do their procedure for free since those procedures they would've been the one to pay for it out of their own pockets! My suggestions to all is ask patient to be your board patient and inform them that their procedure will be free, believe me, they will all be excited without additional monetary offering!

6. I took the Perio/Pros last Friday and wasn't too surprised. Perio wasn't bad, but Pros was much harder. You sort of didn't know if you were answering correctly for most of them. Whatever, I'm just crossing my fingers! You really can't study for it, honestly.

7. A girl I know had done that "leave 0.5 mm of caries over the pulp" thing, and apparently everything was going well until the last grader poked into the pulp with the explorer. Blood everywhere. ARRGGHHH. Can you believe that?? The pt. was very upset, screamed at the student, and demanded more money for this new inconvenience. It was very stressful for the student, and she doesn't know how this is going to affect her.

That sucks! The student dentist should've forewarned the patient of the potential risk pretreatment. If the caries were that close to the pulp, then the radiograph should've indicated that. Further, during the procedure the student should've inform the patient that "we're really close to the nerve!" and the student should've wrote a "Note-To-Examiner" to be gentle.

I saw a guy's restorative worksheet, that sheet was completely filled with Modification Requests, the entire page! I later asked him what had happened, he told me that he pulped the tooth, but since he communicated so will with the Floor Examiners and through Modification Requests, he never received a "pink"!

Oral communication with the Floor Examiners and writing "Note-To-Examiners" to Grading Examiners are so important that I strongly believe to be able to know when and why to communication with WREB Officials is the key to success of this exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree - knowing your candidate guide from cover to cover (i.e. KNOWING how to work w/ the examiners to the every last detail) is absolutely key.

sjdent said:
I agree - knowing your candidate guide from cover to cover (i.e. KNOWING how to work w/ the examiners to the every last detail) is absolutely key.

Further, bring your questions to the Orientation and ASK them! It's not a time to be shy! This is one of the main opportunities where you can get all of your concerns and doubts answered clearly!

Also, I just found out that when we receive our WREB score card, there will only be a total score. The breakdown of individual section performances can be purchased separately for another $25! That would've been nice to see our individual section breakdowns.

Yah-E said:
Also, I just found out that when we receive our WREB score card, there will only be a total score. The breakdown of individual section performances can be purchased separately for another $25! That would've been nice to see our individual section breakdowns.

No way! Grrr.....

Hey Yah-E....question for you. I've been asking everyone their opinion. So originally i thought I was fine about the whole "tissue trauma" thing, since I didn't get any pink slip back. I thought, "well, I guess they didn't notice." THEN I started thinking in the days following that maybe they DID notice, marked tissue trauma, failed me, and just never thought it was severe enough to give me a "Post Operative Care" card. Hmm....I think there may still a chance I failed??

On another note, a guy in my class had a similar situation with adjacent tooth damage....he was sure he was going to get a Post Op Care form back from the graders, but he never did. He's still freaking out about it, that maybe he failed.

What do you think? Are those pink slips everything? Is it possible to fail a section and not even know?

sjdent said:
Hey Yah-E....question for you. I've been asking everyone their opinion. So originally i thought I was fine about the whole "tissue trauma" thing, since I didn't get any pink slip back. I thought, "well, I guess they didn't notice." THEN I started thinking in the days following that maybe they DID notice, marked tissue trauma, failed me, and just never thought it was severe enough to give me a "Post Operative Care" card. Hmm....I think there may still a chance I failed??

On another note, a guy in my class had a similar situation with adjacent tooth damage....he was sure he was going to get a Post Op Care form back from the graders, but he never did. He's still freaking out about it, that maybe he failed.

What do you think? Are those pink slips everything? Is it possible to fail a section and not even know?
I believe it can happen with failing us without us knowing. But I believe that since WREB is so keen on paperwork communication, they would've gave us something if it's as bad as "tissue trauma" to failure! I guess we'll never know, but I think that we're OK. Also think of this, lets say if we failed, then why would the Grading Examiners give us back the full mouth series and the worksheet? They should've kept the radiographs and the worksheet and have the patients walk out with a "pink"! I don't believe we've failed!

I was worried about tissue management also because some of the papillaes were knicked, but when I asked my patient how did the doctors checked you, she claimed that they were all very nice and all 3 of them examined her very fast! I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt and stop worrying meself!

Since you took the exam earlier, you should be getting your scores back this week or the next. Keep us informed! Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine!

This may be different because I took CRDTS in 2002 - but

1. I got a Modification Slip for my Amalgam - "Remove restoration and deepen pulpal floor" I did not leave any existing restoration. I still Passed and even passed the amalgam prep part.

2. A girl in my class left caries but still passed and also we had one person with a pulpal exposure who passed, and another who had to temporize who also passed.

3. The grading was not as harsh as I thought - except in the perio section but CRDTs had been notorious for failing people in the perio section in the past - so that may have just been a trend for the examiners at that time.

4. Only 3 people in my class failed - one who took Florida boards and passed and was a good student, and 2 other not so good students but one finally passed and the other failed 3 times and ended up getting a license in NY because she took a 1 year GPR which she turned into 2 years.

5. Everyone who took Wrebs in my class passed - and commented on how friendly the floor examiners were.

I am tensed after I went thro the posts here. Can u plz advice how shd we prepare for the prostho section. Everyone is telling its tough. Is it tougher then part2 nbde? I know its cumulative knowledge. It would be great help from u guys if u can be more specific on what r there standards of asking questions in prostho is? I am so tensed about this whole exam . I am taking this next month. I am taking my perio/pros section on may 2nd. plz help me and guide me. I would really appreciate.
Thank You
Satch

FYI, Illinois no longer takes WREB and Minnesota will only take WREB if you also take the written and manikin portions of ADEX.

Also, ADEX is recognized by 41 states, more than WREB.

Blue Tooth said:
FYI, Illinois no longer takes WREB and Minnesota will only take WREB if you also take the written and manikin portions of ADEX.

Also, ADEX is recognized by 41 states, more than WREB.

You know, I just read this on the wreb.org site today (see below). A little disturbed by that! I guess Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Nebraska pulled out. Heck, by the time I'm finished with my residency, I'll probably qualify to practice there by credential.

http://www.wreb.org/currentpubs/newsletters/BoardWinter06.pdf

hi...
can anyone tell me wut kind of questions they ask in perio/pros section.
everybody is telling praos is tough but can anyone be specific like wut pattern of questions they r asking plz help the test takers
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you can only apply two years of a residency to credentials. So even though your residency is six years, you still need three more after you finish to apply this way.

Bitters said:
I think you can only apply two years of a residency to credentials. So even though your residency is six years, you still need three more after you finish to apply this way.
Bitters:

With an activated MN dental license, I will have a full dental license in the state of MN. I'm not trying to qualify through credentials. I'll activate my MN dental license, but will not use it because I'll be in Louisiana. At least in this way, I'll have an active dental license somewhere.

Again, it goes like this:

1) If I passed my WREB, I will have WREB
2) states usually only accept WREB results within the last 5 years
3) Starting on 1/1/07, the state of MN will no longer "fully" recognize WREB like they do today, today MN fully recognizes the WREB
4) If I activate a MN dental license today with my WREB (before 1/1/07), then I don't have to deal with after 1/1/07 new MN licensure requirements which is ADEX

I can go on and do my residency stuff in Louisiana, but I'll have a dental license activated in MN! I know it's extra money each year to pay to keep it active, but if I don't use my WREB results now to activate MN's dental license, then after 1/1/07, my WREB alone is no longer good in MN!

What I was trying to point out is that there is no need for you to activate your licence this early. All you are doing is giving money to the state of MN for no reason.

Why do it now and waste the money.

If you decide after six years of residency that you dont want to go to MN, you cant apply to another state by credentials. Most require five years, or around 2000 hrs of practice in the previous state.

Also MN allows you a speciality licence anyway. So why waste the money there.

The cost of a dental license is nothing - its like 120 dollars every two years in Wisconsin. Once you start working/ or residency there are more steps involved in getting a license (for example background checks throught the National practioner database; Letters from other jursidications you were working in).

Even though I am in ontario, I still keep my wisconsin license active just in case I ever move back.

I took the clinical portions a month ago and after 5 mods had an exposure. The "pink" form I received was an incident form that just had to be filled out for the patient to get further tx if necessary. It said nothing about failing. They let me restore the tooth and I was told it was graded. Is there a different pink slip for failures?

A pink slip doesn't necessarily mean "failure". Apparently there are a lot of different pink reasons for pink slips or Post Op Care forms. If you got an exposure, I believe it's a 5 pt. deduction.

yeh, I lost the five points. so we'll see what happens. Have you taken the computer test yet?

So I just took the CSE. The perio section is straight forward. Review the effects of diabetes on periodontal health. It's just one patient chart for 50 questions. The prosth section was ok. Lots of partial questions asking about VDO, VDR, rest seats. Also some about crown preps, ie gold, all ceramic, pfm. Know the reduction amounts for each. Implants are straight forward. Just the basics. It wasn't to bad, so for those who are nervous, don't be. I took it while under the effects of the worst cold I've ever had, and still feel ok about it. good luck and good night.

Thank God some one here helped. God bless you so Jiwddi.
good luck with ur clinicals
:thumbup:

One week down, three more weeks to go to get our results! Waiting sucks, I want to know now! My classmates who took the FL licensure exam, they found out the NEXT DAY!

Yeeeeah, about that whole "WREB's policy is to let you know of your results w/in 4 weeks" thing....total crap. It's been 4 weeks and NO WORD. My classmates have been calling the WREB office and they say nothing's been mailed yet. We took ours Mar. 17-20. NADA!!! Hopefully, all of yours come sooner. So frustrating to have to wait. Um, it's just our FUTURES!! ;)

sjdent said:
Yeeeeah, about that whole "WREB's policy is to let you know of your results w/in 4 weeks" thing....total crap. It's been 4 weeks and NO WORD. My classmates have been calling the WREB office and they say nothing's been mailed yet. We took ours Mar. 17-20. NADA!!! Hopefully, all of yours come sooner. So frustrating to have to wait. Um, it's just our FUTURES!! ;)

Dude, you took your exam three weeks before I did and you still HAVEN'T received your results yet? WOW! Looks like I may have to wait longer than 4 weeks then! That blows. :thumbdown:

Please let me know as soon as you receive your result so I can gauge when I expect to receive mine. Our school does receive the group results before we receive our individual results in the mail.

Hi Guys, I just completed taking the exam today. The last two days have been so hectic and stressful. Does any one know how the individual section ratings on a scale of 0-5 translate into the overall score on a 0-100 scale? I have commited my fair share of mistakes

1) Submitted Endo 5 minutes late and was told that would result in 2 point loss
2) Submitted 2 of the endo x-rays couple of minutes late - 2 points loss
3) Made a wrong call for extension in Operative - 3 Points loss

The above is what I know and would like to see what my chances are. The preps were decent (of course, to my satisfaction !!) and would like to see what my chances are and how this whole 75 points cutoff is decided. Any light?

DDS_FIGHT said:
Hi Guys, I just completed taking the exam today. The last two days have been so hectic and stressful. Does any one know how the individual section ratings on a scale of 0-5 translate into the overall score on a 0-100 scale? I have commited my fair share of mistakes

1) Submitted Endo 5 minutes late and was told that would result in 2 point loss
2) Submitted 2 of the endo x-rays couple of minutes late - 2 points loss
3) Made a wrong call for extension in Operative - 3 Points loss

The above is what I know and would like to see what my chances are. The preps were decent (of course, to my satisfaction !!) and would like to see what my chances are and how this whole 75 points cutoff is decided. Any light?
Congrats on completing the exam and sorry to hear about your points deductions. As far as score conversions from 0-5 to the final percentage format, as stated clearly in the Candidate's Manual that the graders will take the middle score from 3 Grading Examiners and use them this way:

0 = 0%
1 = 35%
2 = 55% (minimum score to pass)
3 = 75%
4 = 88%
5 = 100%

By the looks of that, your middle score should be at least a "2" to pass that section.

Lets use an example: You lost total of 4 points for the Endo Section and lets say that your three grader scores were 2, 3, 4 for both teeth. In this scenario your Endo Section score will be a "3" because that is the middle score/grade.

3 = 75%

(.75)(18 possible points for Endo) = 13.50 (you've earned for Endo toward the final total score)

13.50 out of total possible 18 points for Endo section

Your 3 points deduction for "Invalid Modification Request" will be deducted from your total Operative score as stated on p. 25-26 of the Candidate's Manual. For example, for both operative procedures you received 42/52 points, a 3 point deduction will be subtracted from that:

42 - 3 = 39 is your final Operative grade/score

Your 4 points deduction from two late procedures from Endo will be deducted from the Total Exam Score (see p. 13 of the Candidate's Manual). For example, at the end with every section added up and you get a 82/100, then 4 points will be deducted from 82:

82 - 4 = 78 will be your final WREB grade/score

Hi Yah-E, First all so many thanks for putting this together. It gives a much better idea. Some where it is mentioned that they use some sclaes to convert the Raw scores (0-5) into the points/percentages. Thanks in advance

hey dude, i´m a fresh dentist from venezuela, i´m thinking seriously about getting this test because i´m leaving this country, i´ve been looking for info and starting to prepare myself and i can´t find a good guide to study. can you give me information about the content? do you still have? can i have it? i just need a light to start. Glory from Venezuela.

p.d: another thing. how difficult is to get patients there?

SJDENT..Just wondering if you had seen your friend's radiographs(the one that was rejected)? I'm a little leary of one of my cass II's. It goes to the DEJ, but just barely. A little curious as to the subjectiveness of the examiners.

Hi Yah-E, First all so many thanks for putting this together. It gives a much better idea. Some where it is mentioned that they use some sclaes to convert the Raw scores (0-5) into the points/percentages. Thanks in advance

Hey guys,
I took the WREB the past weekend and comparing it against the NERB which I took last year - it was much was relaxed. I had a question - not sure if anybody has the answer yet: I had a pinpoint pulpal exposure on one of my class 2 prep's - I know there is a 5 point deduction for this - does anybody know if there are any other repercussions from this to you passing the whole thing? Thanks.

sjdent said:
I PASSED!!!!!! Found out today. :D :D :D
Dude, that's awesome, Congrats!! Also, what did the result come in, white regular envelope or just a postcard?

Yah-E said:
Dude, that's awesome, Congrats!! Also, what did the result come in, white regular envelope or just a postcard?

I took it Mar. 17-21. I found out thru our school - apparently they faxed the results to the schools first.

It is time to party. Enjoy your time. Couple of questions:
1) What was your final score? Did they give you sectionwise score?
2) How did the rest of the people in your class do?

DDS_FIGHT said:
It is time to party. Enjoy your time. Couple of questions:
1) What was your final score? Did they give you sectionwise score?
2) How did the rest of the people in your class do?
I know candidates will only receive overall score in the mail. Sectional breakdowns of all sections are available for purchase for $25 directly from WREB. However, reports to the schools DOES have the sectional breakdowns which candidates can ask about.

I only received my overall score (85) today, no details. I'll see what comes in the mail - hopefully it has the breakdown. I haven't heard anything about the $25 thing.

We had a pretty high pass rate this yr. I've heard 88%? But I'm not positive.

SJDENT, Enjoy your time before you enter the real world.

Yah-E, I am sure you would pass in flying colors. Good luck on the result. Looks like we have to wait for a month now

i just took it this weekend. everything went fine except for a minor root fracture on the apex on one of my endo tooth. i'm worried out of my mind. waiting 4 wks for the result doesn't help either. yikes.

Took WREB last year.
Some of my advice for those who havent taken it yet:

1. The pig-tail explorer (if they are still required) that we used were new and very sharp. Most people only used shepard's hook because that was what they used in clinic. The new explorers could get a stick in sound enamel. Most of the people found out after the first two days to "accidently" dull them with a bur or the tray table.

2. Try to do a slot prep if you can. This is very conservative and much easier, IMO, than a regular class II. Not as much cutting aka ways to mess up. Also, if not many people are doing these then the examiners may think you know what you are doing.

3. What ever you do dont leave decay. If you think you might need to go .5mm but are not sure whether or not to get a extension, dont ask for it and go .5mm. Bottom line= no pink slip--pass pink slip--may not pass

I dont know if this helps at all but it was what i remembered. Good luck all and let me know if i can help

iceborne said:
i just took it this weekend. everything went fine except for a minor root fracture on the apex on one of my endo tooth. i'm worried out of my mind. waiting 4 wks for the result doesn't help either. yikes.
Man, sorry to hear the incident, but at least you're completed with WREB!

According to the Candidate Manual (p.57), a root fracture during condensation will get you a "3" as the highest score for the condensation grade for that tooth. Only 5 points maximum are assigned to the condensation grading per tooth. So if all 3 examiners gives you at least a "2" (55%), then you'll at least pass the condensation section for that tooth.

You should be fine if all other sections are strong!

Yah-E said:
Man, sorry to hear the incident, but at least you're completed with WREB!

According to the Candidate Manual (p.57), a root fracture during condensation will get you a "3" as the highest score for the condensation grade for that tooth. Only 5 points maximum are assigned to the condensation grading per tooth. So if all 3 examiners gives you at least a "2" (55%), then you'll at least pass the condensation section for that tooth.

You should be fine if all other sections are strong!

lets just hope i don't have to retake it. thanks man.

hi guys, I took this test in Ft lauderdale on April the 7th. Here are few things I learn the hard way.

I had a full clnic day the first day so I decided to finish both my class IIs that day. What happened is I started one hour late and I had to ask for 2 modifications to extend the gingival floor gingivally due to caries. Both my mod were approved but the patient had to be sent to the grading examiners to get the approval cos the floor examiner felt that they might be denied. this process cost me alot of time but at the end I managed to finish the composite and I felt that I didnt have enough time and strenght to go ahead with the class II amalgam. So I took a bold decision to postpone the amalgam prep and filling to the last day. My second day went fine with endo and perio but of course I caused few minor injuries to the gum but It was ok. and by the way I asked a floor examiner about major trauma to the tissues, he said that if the grading examiners fail u due to major trauma they will let u know.

the last day was very stressful cos I knew I had to start and finish my amalgam in 3 HOURS. i was worried about the time knowing that my composite took me more than 5 hours due to the modifications. So I decided not to ask for modifications even if the cavity was not gonna be ideal and even if i loose few points here and there but the main goal was to finish and not end up going overtime and loosing points. Well I was lucky and I didnt need mod and I finished in 2 hours.

Overall I didnt get no pinks, and if i had to take it again i wouldnt worry about asking for modifications unless i need to leave some caries over the pulp.
One big advice would be : dont leave any class II for the last day cos u only have 3 hours. So if u feel that u couldnt finish both ure class IIs on the full clinic day, leave one for the half day with endo cos u have around 5 hours.
and it makes more sense to give more time for a 26 points procedure rather than spending 5 hours on a 10 pt procedure ( ie perio). leave perio for the last day and do what u can in 3 hours. at least u know that u have to send ure patient 2 times once for approval and once for grading, plus when u feel that ure time is running up just send the patient up the worst that coud happen is leaving 2 or 3 areas with calculus, so what u loose 3 points , no big deal.

I took the computer test one day after the clinical. perio was very easy, just know how to premedicate and how to read xrays. the pros was a little harder but still ok. few implant questions were tough other than that it was ok.

hey othodentist...good luck with ur results :thumbup:
thanks for r advice :) it is highly appreciated.

For those of you who took the WREB on the weekend of March 30 - April 2 and March 31 - April 3 (University of Minnesota, Temple University, and University of Louisville), have any of you received your results yet?