Western U does not refund seat deposits!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optstudent1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those applicants that are still waiting to find out (waitlist or not), just note that Western University does not refund your initial seat deposit. I had contacted them earlier last week about the refund deadline, only to find out that the deposit is non-refundable.

Just thought I share the information with other. It's a small price to pay in the long run, but my wallet is definitely thinner because of this...

Members don't see this ad.

How much was the deposit?

For those applicants that are still waiting to find out (waitlist or not), just note that Western University does not refund your initial seat deposit. I had contacted them earlier last week about the refund deadline, only to find out that the deposit is non-refundable.

Just thought I share the information with other. It's a small price to pay in the long run, but my wallet is definitely thinner because of this...

Do most schools have refundable deposits or is it common for health colleges/universities to refund students their deposits?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most schools have two deposits. The first deposit offers at least partial refund to hold a seat until a certain deadline and then there are those rare few offer a full refund (SUNY, I think??). Can someone please verify? Then there is the 2nd non-refundable deposit that means you have committed to taking a seat.

I think most schools have two deposits. The first deposit offers at least partial refund to hold a seat until a certain deadline and then there are those rare few offer a full refund (SUNY, I think??). Can someone please verify? Then there is the 2nd non-refundable deposit that means you have committed to taking a seat.

The particular one for Western University I'm talking about is the initial deposit to hold a seat. I would have thought the deposit would partially refundable, but its not.

Was it clearly stated "NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT"?

Not on the admission letter. It mentions deposit within certain date of the letter, but not that its "non-refundable." I was under the impression that most schools offer partial refunds for students as a courtesy, but guess not.

Not to mention that Western University's Optometry program did not offer any scholarships.

SUNY offers a refund as long as you request a refund by a certain date. I think sometime mid April is the deadline.

If Western isn't refunding the deposit, just keep your seat until the last possible minute. Worst case scenario, you may still need that spot.

Western/UIW/Midwestern are all desperate for applicants.
The early classes will be the bottom fo the barrel and I pity the first class who will be subjected to a variety of planning errors that they (not the school) will suffer for.

These early classes will be viewed by their peers as someone who shouldn't have been accepted to ANY program.

From what I've seen, most deposits range from $500 - $750 with $500 always being non-refundable.

SCO's was 500 and they refunded like 450 if you withdrew your acceptance before April 1st I believe.

Looks like they made a late season change to their policy, which I believe was never really established to begin with since I was told that there was no deadline for a deposit refund, and I went along with that and as of 1/30/09 I have a $500 check from them...

They do need all the money they can get at this point. But clearly they should have stated whether or not their deposit was refundable or not. That's pretty sketch.

Most schools don't refund their deposits, especially if they're under $500.

UAB and NOVA doesn't refund the first deposit nor the second deposit and for both the schools the first deposit is only like $250 ish as far as I remember.

SCCO's initial deposit is $750 or $700 and they refund back $250 if you drop your seat before May.

Anyway, I just know most schools don't refund their deposits.

Most schools don't refund their deposits, especially if they're under $500.

UAB and NOVA doesn't refund the first deposit nor the second deposit and for both the schools the first deposit is only like $250 ish as far as I remember.

SCCO's initial deposit is $750 or $700 and they refund back $250 if you drop your seat before May.

Anyway, I just know most schools don't refund their deposits.

It would have been nice to clearly write their refund policy on the acceptance letter. But I guess it's my fault for not asking either.

LOL...the many changes during the admissions process will probably be an indicator about how the first year will be at WU--that is, many many changes throughout the year. Good luck, WU 2013.

I definitely agree. Good luck WU 2013!

The lack of scholarships really discouraged me as well.

It would have been nice to clearly write their refund policy on the acceptance letter. But I guess it's my fault for not asking either.

Yeah normally they do write it on their acceptance letter...that is kind of strange...well it's a new school so what can you expect...maybe you can dispute it if you're 100% sure they didn't write the policy down...i doubt they'll give it back anyway

Not surprising. These schools aren't opening for the good of humanity or optometry. Since we already have oversupply their only goal is to make money. I'm sure they'll hoover all they can get.

LOL...the many changes during the admissions process will probably be an indicator about how the first year will be at WU--that is, many many changes throughout the year. Good luck, WU 2013.

Don't say no one warned you :laugh:

It DOES stated the refund policy when you went for interview (UNDER DEPOSIT SECTION). You should check the Interview booklet they provided you before you make any decision. Also, my acceptance letter also stated clearly on the deposit policy. Don't blame the school when you, yourself did not clearly read and understand the information.

It DOES stated the refund policy when you went for interview (UNDER DEPOSIT SECTION). You should check the Interview booklet they provided you before you make any decision. Also, my acceptance letter also stated clearly on the deposit policy. Don't blame the school when you, yourself did not clearly read and understand the information.

Maybe I did miss it. Could you post what the specific refund policy? I no longer have the interview booklet since I refused a seat.