Western U

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mailed my supplemental application on 07/28 or 07/29 and recieved an acknowledgment email on 07/31. My PharmCAS mailing date was 08/06 and I recieved an acknowledgement email on 08/21.

I recieved another email on 09/27, stating that my file is "ready for evaluation."

Members don't see this ad.

Some of the questions in the supplemental for Western can be answered in about a paragraph, but they provide you with a lot of room to answer. What do you think is the best approach, short and concise or elaborate on the points to fill space?

Some of the questions in the supplemental for Western can be answered in about a paragraph, but they provide you with a lot of room to answer. What do you think is the best approach, short and concise or elaborate on the points to fill space?

I would go with short and concise. That is what I did and I got in. Plus, in class they are always emphasizing being short and concise and getting straight to the answer. They dont like a bunch of irrelevant info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are your responses to this year's supplemental essay questions dramatically, somewhat, or little to no change from last year's essay responses?

Thanks Pharmgrl. I was thinking about just getting straight to the answer since they have to go through 1000000000000000000000 responses.

does anyone know a school that offers general biochemistry online. I called western U and they told me i have to finish everything by the spring but I work fulltime so online class would be best for me.

does anyone know a school that offers general biochemistry online. I called western U and they told me i have to finish everything by the spring but I work fulltime so online class would be best for me.

I would be surprised if they accept all online classes. I would first ask to make sure the online course meets the requirement.

They said online class is fine. I met all the other requirements except the biochemistry.

hello wellbutrin

try www.athabascau.ca
its a Canadian university but since Western accepts Canadian students, I am sure it's fine.
i am currently retaking my orgo with them... the staff are pretty nice but it really comes down if ur assigned a helpful tutor or not

good luck :D

hello wellbutrin

try www.athabascau.ca
its a Canadian university but since Western accepts Canadian students, I am sure it's fine.
i am currently retaking my orgo with them... the staff are pretty nice but it really comes down if ur assigned a helpful tutor or not

good luck :D

hi Michelle,

Thanks. I checked their website and i dont think they offer biochemistry.

I am not sure my reply will still help you...
I sent in my application by express mail on Oct 31 :) I should have come by and dropped it off since I live very close by. It would have saved me 14 bucks. I submitted Pharmcas appl just 10 mins before the deadline also. And I am still admitted into the program. Western doesn't have the rolling system; so basically they'll go over all the applications before they decide whether you'll get the interview or not.
For #12, just asnwer it based on your background, write about whatever makes you stand out from the rest of the applicants, or whatever makes they take you instead of the others that have almost the same stats with you

Good luck to your application, hope to see you on campus next year :)
-dtl

I had 2 questions regarding western U.
For those who are currently attending Western U, I was wondering when you turned in your applications.

For anyone who has attempted Western's LONG supplemental application, can you can give me some suggestions about western #12 question. IT SO BROAD!! AHHH

.12. Please use space below to make any additional personal comments that you think will strengthen your application..

thank you!

I am kinda confused with how to fill the prerequisites in that application. For example I took organic chemistry lecture and lab together, 5 units. the application have different column for the lab and lecture and it asks units for each one. does some1 know how tofill it. Thanks

i had the same problem...what i did was write the same course number under the lab section. i didn't fill in the units though...cuz then they might assume the lab was another 5 units!

ex:
organic chemistry CHEM211A 5 units .. etc etc
organic chemistry lab: CHEM211A

Members don't see this ad :)
Did any1 get an interview from Western?????? Do u guys know whn will they be sending interview invites?

interviews are reviewed after hte nov. 1 deadline. im guessing invites wont be mailed out until mid november?

I thought western has rolling admissions....isnt it?

they review the applications after the deadline in the order recieved, thus granting interviews first to those who submitted applications early.

so its rolling, but not really

Hi there, anyone know what the deadline procedure is for Western? Does the app. just have to be postmarked by Nov. 1 or have to be received by Nov. 1? If it's received, I'm probably going to have to overnight it or express it so just want know somewhat beforehand.

Thanks!

hey does anyone know if it's really bad to leave question 12 on the supp app blank?

Do you guys know when is western's first interview for fall 2008? This year or early next year? I got their letter saying they will start review our applications after nov. 1st. Any insights?

i left it blank...i've said all i wanted to say in the first damn 11 q's.

same here, thought it would be better to be concise then ramble on and on about a bunch of stuff they don't really care about. I'll have things to say when I reapply next year if I dont get into any schools to talk about improvements I've made.

same here, thought it would be better to be concise then ramble on and on about a bunch of stuff they don't really care about. I'll have things to say when I reapply next year if I dont get into any schools to talk about improvements I've made.

ic, thanks you guys...

honestly, i'm pretty annoyed w/ Western. I applied to 6schools in total and only Western has a ridiculously long supplemental. It also took them over a month (after my mailing date) to even acknowledge they've got my pharmCAS... and another few weeks to recognize my supplemental even tho i sent those both in at the same time.

They are also the only school that didn't recognize some of my pre-reqs...

however, as of yet NOBODY has reviewed my application (not even for admission, but for completeness!!!!). Some ppl on this forum already found out they're missing a pre-req or sthing..but nothing for me. Everytime I try to be proactive they just tell that somebody will contact me if sthing's wrong and go away.... i've already gotten three interview invites for schools that i turned in application even later than western..and still NO word from western..

ok...finished venting now :laugh: anybody as aggrevated as me?

hey michelle..
i hear western wont fully review your apps until the deadline( nov 1st) has passed.. so dont worry too much..
I am in your same shoes.
you and i and the rest of the western applicants just need to sit tight and try to be as patient as possible..
ugh.. i hate this waiting period. where else did you receive invitations for an interview??

I met with some1 knowledgeable with the admission process couple days ago. he told me that they give some preferences to people who apply early. so two things he stressted were
1. apply early
2. dont leave question 12 blank.

I met with some1 knowledgeable with the admission process couple days ago. he told me that they give some preferences to people who apply early. so two things he stressted were
1. apply early
2. dont leave question 12 blank.

Well that stinks. They aren't going to reject applications on not answering an optional question right?

Well that stinks. They aren't going to reject applications on not answering an optional question right?

No. He said it is optional question...but he recommended me to answer in my case. I think it depends on your profile if there is need to say more use that question if dont then it is ok i think.

Hehe here is when I have to defend Western. I wonder who you heard this from? For your info, Western has had practically 100% board pass rate for the past couple of years. Not last year but the two consecutive years before, WesternU won FIRST PLACE against all the other California schools during interschool knowledge bowl-type competitions.

In regards to your comment, I highly doubt techs are 'teaching' how drugs work--what if they just want to apply their knowledge from class to work place or if they are 1st year students who have not covered drug metabolism (such as myself?). Okay, regarding the professors, they are helpful and accessible--I see many students in my class going to their office hours all the time, especially since we've been having exams every week til december! I know you 'heard' this comment, but common, would you seriously take ignorant comments like this to make such generalizations about a school? If so, then thank you for not applying to WesternU. :rolleyes:

Otherwise, anyone interested in WesternU (curriculum, interviews, apps, school life) feel free to PM me. I usually comment on SDN often but I've been so busy lately! Hehe :p

Hi ilovepharm,
I've applied for Western's Pharmacy program, and I totally agree with u. Many that I know choose Western U over any other pharmacy schools.
Anyways, I have a question. What was the average acceptance GPA last year? How 'bout experience in research and pharmacy?

The first interview date for Western is couple weeks away and still no news but silence. Did anyone hear anything ?

The first interview date for Western is couple weeks away and still no news but silence. Did anyone hear anything ?

Hi.
The website says that WU will contact the interviewee 1-3 weeks before the interview date.

i mailed my supp. late july. pharmcas was sent late august. LORs were sent late october.

I received an email informing me that my application is ready for evaluation.

has anybody else (other than anteater) received this email?

i mailed my supp. late july. pharmcas was sent late august. LORs were sent late october.

ok, looks like people have been receiving this email several months ago.

i guess my application is somewhere in the bottom of the stack :(

I turned in my supplemental in October and Pharmcas mailed my application in late September... so far i got two emails..one saying they got my supplemental and the other saying they got my pharmcas.

I think they gonna start calling people sometime next week or so for the December interview.

i got my supplemental confirmation on 9/21 and i got the pharmcas one two or three weeks before that

edit: i think i misinterpreted your post. i got an "We are in receipt of your ­Supplemental application" email on these dates.

anyone hear from western yet?? the first interview is on dec 8th.. i hope they will contact us soon. i heard they will start calling 2 weeks prior to the interview date. they should at least give us time to book our flight. i m from bay area..

we should definitely hear from them soon. if not next week, them i'm sure the following week. :luck:

if you think the questions to WU supplemental were crazy you should try looking at the one from UCSF. "What do you think about the human condition from ur experiences".

I submitted my pharmCAS on 10/8 my supp on 10/23. I received an email saying that my application is ready to be evaluated on 11/13. Thnx giving is coming up, I dont think I'll be in the first batch to be interviewed on 12/8 :(

I spoke with admissions today and they said they will probably start calling people for invites on monday

omg.. thanks for the update. i really hope that i will get a call..

i heard they will interview about 480-500 applicants