Western University - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any more updates from the interview group on 2/7? I believe Western is bringing in another 50 applicants for interviews this weekend.
Yeah I'll be there this weekend!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey it was nice meeting everyone today. Was totally blown away with the whole day. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey it was nice meeting everyone today. Was totally blown away with the whole day. Good luck everyone!
Thanks for visiting us! I/we wish you the best of luck! You all were a great group of applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to you too. It was a great day. I was very impressed with COMP-NW. I'm hoping to hear good news in a few weeks.

Any more updates from the interview group on 2/7? I believe Western is bringing in another 50 applicants for interviews this weekend.

Got my letter from them last Saturday (March 7th) and was placed on the alternate list. I called and talked to Jeannie about any possible reasons why I was placed on the list and not accepted outright. I was informed that there was nothing wrong with my application or interview, just that there is very limited seats available and that most everyone who interviews this late in the cycle, february and beyond, are placed on the alternate list. Not sure how true that is but I guess I'll be working on my letter of intent. Good luck to everyone, hopefully everyone hears some good news soon.

Got my letter from them last Saturday (March 7th) and was placed on the alternate list. I called and talked to Jeannie about any possible reasons why I was placed on the list and not accepted outright. I was informed that there was nothing wrong with my application or interview, just that there is very limited seats available and that most everyone who interviews this late in the cycle, february and beyond, are placed on the alternate list. Not sure how true that is but I guess I'll be working on my letter of intent. Good luck to everyone, hopefully everyone hears some good news soon.

I'm now dreading going to my mailbox today. I wish everyone luck.

Withdrawing my acceptance due to a state school acceptance. I'm confident my spot will go to a deserving applicant. Hope my $2K deposit gets put to good use.

Withdrawing my acceptance due to a state school acceptance. I'm confident my spot will go to a deserving applicant. Hope my $2K deposit gets put to good use.

How long did you have between giving your deposit and choosing elsewhere?

II 2/7.

Got my letter stating that I was accepted . . . to the class of 2020? (2016 start). It says the class is full ("everyone put their intent to matriculate in.") I didn't know they even did this.

Snail mail?

Did anybody get an acceptance from the 2/7 interview date?

Second year here... thought I would share some great news! Our forth year students just match 90% into the ACGME making us the top DO school to be matched!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have the match list for westrrn at lebanon? Any current student knows about the list? Thanks

Does anyone have the match list for westrrn at lebanon? Any current student knows about the list? Thanks
2nd year here: I'm not sure there is a full list yet, but the COMP-NW facebook page has a partial list, and its impressive! Makes me feel much better about my school, and my decision to attend a med school that hadn't had a graduating class yet.

Do not get caught up in match lists as a proxy for the quality of a school. The list only tells you what that specific class was like. COMP-NW, like many other DO schools, is at best a thorn in the side of the 4th year student trying to match. They (the school) will offer little in the way of help and will often get in the way. That said, clearly there were some great matches here by bright and motivated students who had the drive and foresight to plan in advance, find opportunities, and make the most of each and every rotation they are on as 3rd and 4th years.

There is an incomplete match list in the osteo med student forum. If folks insist on using them as a comparison, take a look at the 2015 allo match lists (ahem, UPenn...).

Ditto. Don't get caught up in the outlier matches for any particular school. Ppl place at great programs because of their individual efforts and working harder than everyone else, not because Western or X school gave them a leg up over any other DO student across the country.

Does anyone know when we can start to hope for movement on the alternate list? I know it was late April/early May last year...

Does anyone know when we can start to hope for movement on the alternate list? I know it was late April/early May last year...
They said March interviewees wouldn't hear till 1st or 2nd week of April so I would guess after that

Hey everyone! I just wanted to wish everyone who is interviewing the best of luck! COMP-NW really stuck out for me, which is why I decided to choose it for my medical education. I really hope to see you guys there this coming August! I think we are going to have a really great group =]

They usually start pulling from the waitlist after they get a response from the students accepted in the March interviews and this should happen around the middle of April. If you were waitlisted, this is a great time to send in any additional information about yourself(more volunteer hours, letters of rec, grades etc) to help you be fresh in their minds when they go through the list. There are quite a few of us in my class (2017) that were originally on the alternate list and there was even one student accepted a day before orientation started, so if this is where you really want to be do not be afraid to keep trying and let them know of your interest

Has anyone from the March interviews heard anything this week?

2nd year here: I'm not sure there is a full list yet, but the COMP-NW facebook page has a partial list, and its impressive! Makes me feel much better about my school, and my decision to attend a med school that hadn't had a graduating class yet.

How is it impressive? It's exactly what you expect from a DO school. According to the minority of students that actually reported this for the school to post on FB, the ACGME matches are all IM/FM/Peds and the AOA match is a mix of everything. This isn't to take anything away from anyone that is happily headed to their next chapter in life, but I wanted to temper your use of the word impressive with some reality that it is more of an average performance.

I also want to mention that we need to be careful to not confuse the words "match" and "place" into residency. A lot of schools report how many students placed into residency, which includes after the SOAP/scramble/whatever it's called process. This is not the same as matching into your preferred specialty/location.

Again, not to take anything away from those graduating this spring. I want to talk reality, not propaganda, for those in pre-med SDN land.

Last edited:
How is it impressive? It's exactly what you expect from a DO school. According to the minority of students that actually reported this for the school to post on FB, the ACGME matches are all IM/FM/Peds and the AOA match is a mix of everything. This isn't to take anything away from anyone that is happily headed to their next chapter in life, but I wanted to temper your use of the word impressive with some reality that it is more of an average performance.

I also want to mention that we need to be careful to not confuse the words "match" and "place" into residency. A lot of schools report how many students placed into residency, which includes after the SOAP/scramble/whatever it's called process. This is not the same as matching into your preferred specialty/location.

Again, not to take anything away from those graduating this spring. I want to talk reality, not propaganda, for those in pre-med SDN land.

Agreed. I think everyone has done well but it isn't "impressive", especially when compared with some of pomona's matches. That said, I do think that as a student at COMP-NW, you will be able to do just about anything you want if you do your part. I think our match list reflects the interests of the students pretty well.

Accepted!!!!! Interviewed 3/7.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! I was freaking out because I didn't get a letter this morning, but the address they had isn't quite right so PO took a bit to get it to me. I'm planning on going here, so I look forward to meeting the rest of you headed here.

Interviewed 3/7, btw.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry if this has been asked already, but is the grading pass/fail or letter?

Anyone know if there has been movement on the alternate list?

When you sent in your acceptance letter/deposit did you get any confirmation or did you just wait till the check was cashed?

When you sent in your acceptance letter/deposit did you get any confirmation or did you just wait till the check was cashed?
Check your western email. They emailed me a confirmation and then a day later I got Banweb access.

I will be withdrawing my acceptance here. I hope it goes to one of you guys. Totally loved the school and atmosphere and would've been happy here but was accepted elsewhere. Good luck guys!

Has anyone on the holding status heard anything?

I just posted this in the PNWU thread but it applies here as well.

"After May 15 of the year of matriculation, each medical college may implement college-specific procedures for accepted students who hold one or more seats at other medical colleges.
Starting April 1, osteopathic medical colleges report to AACOMAS the names and identification of candidates who have paid a deposit, hold a position at an osteopathic medical college entering class or both. After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institu- tions.

An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited and the seat may be given to another candidate.

Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one college of osteopathic medicine to avoid having positions withdrawn."

- http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2016_aacomas-instructions.pdf?sfvrsn=2

So hopefully starting this past Friday, those with multiple acceptances started dropping and we'll see more movement this week. Maybe not though. The stubborn ones have another couple weeks.

The other part of this to be aware of is that if you're offered a seat now that we're past May 15, you may be required to give an immediate response and deposit.

Hi Just wonder if anyone (OOS) here with MCAT score 26 or lower get into this school?

Is there a FB page for the class of 2019? Also, any suggestions on where to live? I'm looking for a relatively newer and quiet apt complex that offers reasonable prices.
Thanks!

Check your westernU email. Somebody sent out a link about the FB group. I couldn't find it via FB and used the email link.
As for living places, check banweb. There's a bunch of stuff on there. Also, once you get on the FB group, people talk about the two different apartment complexes close to campus.
Is there a FB page for the class of 2019? Also, any suggestions on where to live? I'm looking for a relatively newer and quiet apt complex that offers reasonable prices.
Thanks!