Western University NBEO Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnknownLemon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was looking at the NBEO Scores from 2016-2017 and was extremely surprised at how low WUCO scored on across the entire 3 Parts. Can anyone speak on what's going on here? I get that it's a new program, but this is pretty drastic.

https://optometriceducation.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/ASCO-Report-2016-2017-1.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 users
Hi all, I was looking at the NBEO Scores from 2016-2017 and was extremely surprised at how low WUCO scored on across the entire 3 Parts. Can anyone speak on what's going on here? I get that it's a new program, but this is pretty drastic.

https://optometriceducation.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/ASCO-Report-2016-2017-1.pdf

This is the reason why I didn’t choose Western even though I really loved the school, staff, and students :( Passing boards is a really big deal in becoming an optometrist. I do have a friend who chose Western though, and she loves it/is really happy there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Happy until she has a $200K student loan and can't get a license to practice.
You’re absolutely right. I can’t make their decision for them though lol.
For those looking at schools, I took boards pass rate quite seriously. The year I chose NSUCO was when they had the student (their valedictorian) with the highest score nationwide. I believe at that time, NECO had an overall first time pass rate that was pretty low after the cheating scandal but also had the highest score nationwide tied with NSUCO. The thing is, that student was in the 3 year advanced program for international students who were optometrists in their home country. My advice to pre-optos is to really dive into your research on school. Ask a ton of questions. My thought process was that, there are smart people going to each of these schools, but if someone smart is that well-prepped by their school, the highest score says that the school is on top of it.

You’re absolutely right. I can’t make their decision for them though lol.
For those looking at schools, I took boards pass rate quite seriously. The year I chose NSUCO was when they had the student (their valedictorian) with the highest score nationwide. I believe at that time, NECO had an overall first time pass rate that was pretty low after the cheating scandal but also had the highest score nationwide tied with NSUCO. The thing is, that student was in the 3 year advanced program for international students who were optometrists in their home country. My advice to pre-optos is to really dive into your research on school. Ask a ton of questions. My thought process was that, there are smart people going to each of these schools, but if someone smart is that well-prepped by their school, the highest score says that the school is on top of it.
Do they make this kind of info public? Like how would you know about the top scores of other schools?

The top scorer gets a scholarship and honored at the AOA meeting

Do they make this kind of info public? Like how would you know about the top scores of other schools?
Schools post it on their social media as well. NBEO and ASCO always post board stats and entering class stats every year.

Oh and when I interviewed at Western, I asked them if there was anything about their program they would want to improve. They said “board scores”. :|

Oh and when I interviewed at Western, I asked them if there was anything about their program they would want to improve. They said “board scores”. :|
I'm aware of the type of questions they asked, but what specifically did they want from you during the interview?