Western University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi patientlover,
For this interview, I'll be flying from SFO to LAX. If you're asking about the other flights before & after this interview, I will be flying to BOS Logan to Boston, and JFK to New York City.

I hope that answers your question!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I don't have any advice on traveling for the interview but I do have some tips for interviews.

One of the things that always worked for me is just be confident. You've made it this far because you are qualified academically so all you need to do is show the interviewer that your personality fit the school and the profession. Just be yourself and speak loudly and confidently.

Even when you don't know how to answer a question appropriate, just answer with confidence in your voice and dont be timid, also believe in what you're saying. Your passion will show. This will definitely get you into programs you want to get into.

Remember, interview is not about the correct answer. It is about conveying the right message with the right enthusiasm.

Hope this helps. Good luck everyone! Hopefully see some of you during interview.

I am wondering, for the interview, do we just simply reply by submitting the online form and that's it?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was extended an invite, I simply replied that I was interested in attending the interview date and that I would like more information.

I wonder do we get a confirmation email after submitting the form online.

I wonder do we get a confirmation email after submitting the form online.

I didn't get an e-mail after filling out that form... I even e-mailed one of the counselors about it, but he never responded. Not sure, I guess we just follow the directions on the website and show up to the time we got assigned?

Do we get assigned different times? I filled out the form saying I could make it to the interview Dec 15th at 9:30 am, but they never sent a confirmation back. Guess I'll just show up at 9:30!

Do we get assigned different times? I filled out the form saying I could make it to the interview Dec 15th at 9:30 am, but they never sent a confirmation back. Guess I'll just show up at 9:30!
isn't the interview at 7:30? i guess, we all have different times?

There are multiple interviews in a single day, well at least there were on my interview date last year. It is possible the same situation applies this year.

I just received a confirmation email from Western, which included the parking pass. My interview, at least, is from 9:30 to 1:00pm on saturday

For the current Western students, could you explain about more about the P1 year 'modified-block' schedule? I understand that you take 3 classes..a 1x/week class and 2 other classes the rest of the week? Which courses are they and how long do they run? Also at the interview they mentioned using Blackboard and also a test taking software to give feedback; have they started doing that yet or is that something that is new?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure. I wish I had p1 students or any current students with us when I was in the application process. The block schedule is VERY complicated to explain. If you wish, I can upload what the class schedule the first semester is like so you can read and see for yourself day by day what we do by the hour.

The modified block: The semester is divided up into two blocks. They each span roughly half a semester. During each block, you are taking different classes (obviously) and for some, you are going to be on rotations. As a class you are randomly divided up into three groups for rotations: groups A,B,C. In the first block, group A will be on rotations, have immunology, pharmacological basis of therapeutics I (PBT1), and a pharmacy foundations course (in which this class spans 2 blocks/1 semester). When the first block ends, you will have a final on immunology and PBT1. When the second block starts, groups B/C will be on rotation while taking PBT2, the second half of pharmacy foundations and pharmacy biopharmaceuticals. The end of the second block you will have a final on the classes of the second block and pharmacy foundations. **Also note that when each group is on roations, it lasts for 4 weeks. You go to each rotation site from 1pm-6pm for 3 days a week (Tu,Th, Friday). At the end of your fourth week you will have a final on what you learned at your rotation site. They will provide materials for what you need to learn. However, the idea of the rotation, which is community pharmacy for the first year, is to familiarize yourself with a pharmacy setting.

Classes for the week: Each week has the potential to be different. I myself live week to week and look a head no more than 2-3 weeks at a time to know when exams are coming up. It's very difficult to explain because each day is different. However, MOST Mondays are reserverd for your pharmacy foundations course. If you would like, I can upload the first few weeks of school so you can see what we are going through.

Blackboard: This website is used to retrieve all your information/documents for your classes. This is NOT where your electronic exams will be taking place.

Electronic exams: Electronic exams will be taken on YOUR laptop with a program called examsoft. They haven't implemented the electronic exams on us. It was nice that they told you about it. They did a test on the DO students and from what I have gathered, the students liked it or showed improved test scores. The aim of the program, from what I have understood, is to improve test results. Some of the p3s are going to be using it or have used it. I don't remember which exactly.

I hope this helped. I am in the middle of exam and studying, so my brain is running a mile a minute. If you need any further explanation, please do not hesitate to ask.

Last edited:
I hope this helped. I am in the middle of exam and studying, so my brain is running a mile a minute. If you need any further explanation, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for taking the time to share all of that information....! :) Very helpful; I would love to see that course schedule too if you have time to upload it. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

I got an interview invitation for Dec. 15th. Because I had an important schedule on 15th, I replied that I needed an alternative day. Should I call the school for rescheduling an interview day or just wait?

Last edited:
I got an interview invitation for Dec. 15th. Because I had an important schedule on 15th, I replied that I need an alternative day. Should I call the school for rescheduling an interview day or just wait?

I'd definitely call.

To those who interviewed on last saturday, do you remember what date Dr. Prabhu said we will receive our acceptance letters? Also do you remember if he had said that we will get an email first then a hard copy?

To those who interviewed on last saturday, do you remember what date Dr. Prabhu said we will receive our acceptance letters? Also do you remember if he had said that we will get an email first then a hard copy?

In the group I was in--Dr. Prabhu said early january..but the woman we heard from afterward (from admissions?) said that it was more likely to be late january. And then, she said maybe to e-mails but that we will be getting letters in the mail. Classes re-open after the holidays on Jan 7. so I'm assuming that is when the offices re-open too.

Last edited:
For the people who already had interviews..How do you all think you did? Did you feel confident?

For the people who already had interviews..How do you all think you did? Did you feel confident?

I felt pretty good about it. I never feel like it goes perfectly, but the lady who interviewed me was nice and was talking about how when I get into school, there are more opportunities for pharmacists than I even realize now..so I felt like that was a positive feedback. :xf:

I was pretty impressed by the school's program and curriculum. I enjoyed talking to the attending students can gaining more insights about rotations, best seats in the classroom, and housing. My interview itself was pretty challenging, I felt. Questions definitely required critical thinking but they weren't difficult. One of my interviewers had a heavy accent which made it hard for me to understand the question but I tried my best ;)

Thank you for taking the time to share all of that information....! :) Very helpful; I would love to see that course schedule too if you have time to upload it. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

You got it boss.Just finished finals so and that's why I have been lagging on the responses here. I have uploaded the file. To any P1s or anyone attending WesternU let me know if you don't want this up for any reason. I couldn't find a bad reason myself which is why I uploaded it.

http://www.2shared.com/file/2go58jKE/Fall_Revised.html

This is the only site that I know where I can upload files at the moment. If anyone can share a better site where this file can be hosted for me, I can and will edit it.

Also, keep the questions coming if anyone has any. :thumbup:

Another question for current students--even without the examsoft fully started yet, do you already receive your tests back with your wrong answers marked? Western seems like it is one of the few schools that gives exam feedback which is important to me..so I just want to double check that that is the case.

Thanks!

Another question for current students--even without the examsoft fully started yet, do you already receive your tests back with your wrong answers marked? Western seems like it is one of the few schools that gives exam feedback which is important to me..so I just want to double check that that is the case.

Thanks!

With the way the current system works, you take your test on your scantron and it is collected. These exams are then given to another person who will run the exams to have them graded. Once they are run, you can request what is called a student print out. On this print out, it will give your results (a percentage), your answers, and the correct exam answers, however there are no test questions printed out on the student report for obvious reasons. With this student print out, you can go to to office hours and see the question itself and do what is called a regrade. Regrades are a way to get points back if you can defend your answer to a particular question. One thing that I notice that is different from Western and my undergrad school is the availability of the staff; they almost always are in their office during your lunch break or after school. On any given day, I can walk to one person's office and see my professors in their office when I needed them. Hope that helps :thumbup:

With examsoft, their aim is to provide you feedback on what you missed. That is why they want to move to an electronic exam because it gives you help and the statistics to the faculty that weren't available to them before.

Last edited:
Does anybody know how long is the essay portion for the interview?

Does anybody know how long is the essay portion for the interview?

It's 40 minutes and you're only allowed 3 sheets of paper. My question was whether or not art, music, and drama programs should be required in every college curriculum.

It's 40 minutes and you're only allowed 3 sheets of paper. My question was whether or not art, music, and drama programs should be required in every college curriculum.

Did everyone have the same topic or are you allowed to choose out of a few prompts? So did you use all 3 sheets? Lol ;)

There's only one prompt. I think the prompt is the different per group since they separate you into 2 groups. (One does the interview while one writes the essay). And I think I used about 2.5 pages? But it's quality not quantity!

Did anyone who interviewed on Dec 15 get a decision yet?? i'm impatiently still waiting!:confused:

I'm waiting too! I think they specifically told us during the interview NOT to call the admissions office, so I guess we just have to continue checking our mailboxes...

I'm waiting too! I think they specifically told us during the interview NOT to call the admissions office, so I guess we just have to continue checking our mailboxes...

I actually called today, and when I was told end of January, I asked: "like the last week of January". The receptionist replied, yes.

Hi. I was wondering for those that have already went to the interview. Did you guys prepare for pharmacy law questions or recent events? Were those asked? Or were the mainly similar to the ones in the feedback section?

they called me and told me that they lost my essay portion so I have to go in and rewrite it :( no bueno
but for those of you still waiting to hear back they said theyd start letting people know the end of this week, so don't lose hope! Goodluck to you all! :)

Hi. I was wondering for those that have already went to the interview. Did you guys prepare for pharmacy law questions or recent events? Were those asked? Or were the mainly similar to the ones in the feedback section?

No law or recent events. They ask a question in the interview that is a logic question to test your line of reasoning but it is not pharmacy related and requires no previous knowledge.

With the way the current system works, you take your test on your scantron and it is collected. These exams are then given to another person who will run the exams to have them graded. Once they are run, you can request what is called a student print out.

:thumbup: Thank you.

they called me and told me that they lost my essay portion so I have to go in and rewrite it :( no bueno
but for those of you still waiting to hear back they said theyd start letting people know the end of this week, so don't lose hope! Goodluck to you all! :)

Thanks for this! Seems so long because of winter break xD

Thanks guys! I'm dying to find out! it's my last hope for this cycle. good luck to you all too!:rolleyes:

I hope we really do start to hear by the end of this week. =) Good luck to everyone ;)