WesternU COMP (CA campus) vs. Charles R. Drew University?

Started by frieren
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

frieren

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WesternU Pros
  • an established DO school; more connections to hospitals for rotations
  • real cadavers for anatomy lab
  • on campus housing
  • curriculum with conference weeks built in after exams
  • larger class, could be a pro or con
WesternU Cons:
  • I will have to take extra boards (COMLEX and STEP, which is added stress) to stand out during residency
    • I understand taking both boards is not required, but I choose to since I want to maximize chances, even if I want to pursue primary care and not the competitive specialties later on

CDU Pros
  • an MD school, so I would only need to worry about one set of boards (STEP)
  • pre-clinical curriculum has class with embedded research in it --> this might make it easier to find research opportunities
    • on their website:
    • Research: Introduces students to research mentors and guides them in developing projects that culminate in a research proposal and final presentation.
  • smaller class size of 60 students: could be a pro or con

CDU Cons
  • is a newer school, less established and less connections to hospital systems for rotations
  • virtual anatomy labs (maybe pro)
  • no on campus housing
  • preliminary accreditation; "on track to achieve full accreditation upon the graduation of its inaugural class in 2027"
Any advice/insights would be great. Thank you!
 
Last edited: