WesternU MSMS 2017/2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chubbybunz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a current student in the MSMS program at Western University. If you have any questions regarding the application process or the program itself, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

The application is due February 1, 2017, but the sooner you turn it in, the better!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

Chubbybunz is pre-dental but I am pre-DO, so if you have any questions about WesternU COMP or being a competitive MSMS applicant interested in DO, please contact me. Best of luck everyone!

Best,
Osteo-life

P.S. Preview Day is on Saturday, November 19th! Come meet us and check out the campus. :hello:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I am a current student in the MSMS program at Western University. If you have any questions regarding the application process or the program itself, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

The application is due February 1, 2017, but the sooner you turn it in, the better!

Hello! I submitted my application a couple weeks ago. I am now waiting on letters of recommendation.
How do you like the MSMS program? Is it doing a good job of preparing you for health professional school? What advice would you give to future MSMS students?
My apologies for all the questions at once:) This program is my #1 choice.

Hi,

Chubbybunz is pre-dental but I am pre-DO, so if you have any questions about WesternU COMP or being a competitive MSMS applicant interested in DO, please contact me. Best of luck everyone!

Best,
Osteo-life

Hello! I meant to reply to you the first time. I am pre med!
What is the interview process like? Sometimes I get nervous during interviews.
Also, how do you like the MSMS program? What advice would you give to future MSMS students?
This program is my #1 choice. Your advice is greatly appreciated:)

Hello! I meant to reply to you the first time. I am pre med!
What is the interview process like? Sometimes I get nervous during interviews.
Also, how do you like the MSMS program? What advice would you give to future MSMS students?
This program is my #1 choice. Your advice is greatly appreciated:)

I'll reply anyways, and Osteo-life can add in more!

I am very thankful to do this program first before entering professional school. We're only 6 months in, but I've already learned so much in regards to studying. My studying now is SO much more effective and efficient than it was when I was in undergrad. I completely scrapped my old ways when I realized it wasn't working. The anatomy course you'll take during the summer will really show you how serious and fast-paced this program is, as well as how well you study.

My advice for future MSMS students:
DO NOT FALL BEHIND! A huge difference between this program and undergrad is that there is absolutely no way you can procrastinate. You can't slack off for the first midterm, fail it, and think you can make up for it. All the concepts build on top of each other!
And if one way of studying doesn't work, try other methods. I never used to group study before but I find that I do way better talking about it or teaching it to other classmates.

I'll reply anyways, and Osteo-life can add in more!

I am very thankful to do this program first before entering professional school. We're only 6 months in, but I've already learned so much in regards to studying. My studying now is SO much more effective and efficient than it was when I was in undergrad. I completely scrapped my old ways when I realized it wasn't working. The anatomy course you'll take during the summer will really show you how serious and fast-paced this program is, as well as how well you study.

My advice for future MSMS students:
DO NOT FALL BEHIND! A huge difference between this program and undergrad is that there is absolutely no way you can procrastinate. You can't slack off for the first midterm, fail it, and think you can make up for it. All the concepts build on top of each other!
And if one way of studying doesn't work, try other methods. I never used to group study before but I find that I do way better talking about it or teaching it to other classmates.

Thank you for replying. Wow, that is awesome! I'm glad that you mentioned studying because when I entered undergrad, I didn't know how to study effectively so my grades suffered the first two years. I look forward to this program to strengthen my academic credentials and prepare me for the rigors of medical school.

I too used to student alone, but if accepted I will definitely try group studying.

Thank you for the advice!

Hi,

Hi! Thanks for taking the time out and starting this thread. This program is my #1 choice so I've been dying to hear back from the school. I submitted my application at the beginning of october, and got an email from Julie on Nov 11 saying "Your file is ready for evaluation by the department.". Do you know how long they will take from this point onward?

What is the interview like ? Students that make it to the interview, do they usually get accepted into the program? Have you applied to dental school? If so when do you apply? At the beginning of the program in June or do you apply the following year, once you complete the masters?

thanks in advance!!!

Hi! Thanks for taking the time out and starting this thread. This program is my #1 choice so I've been dying to hear back from the school. I submitted my application at the beginning of october, and got an email from Julie on Nov 11 saying "Your file is ready for evaluation by the department.". Do you know how long they will take from this point onward?

What is the interview like ? Students that make it to the interview, do they usually get accepted into the program? Have you applied to dental school? If so when do you apply? At the beginning of the program in June or do you apply the following year, once you complete the masters?

thanks in advance!!!

If you received that email, now it's just a waiting game! Last year, I had submitted my application in late January and received the email for the interview 4 days before the actual interview in February (February 16th vs. 20th)! I am assuming they will be having interviews February to March again, but we have not received any confirmation yet.

The interview itself is closed-file, meaning if you reached that far, all of your stats look good and now they're seeing if your personality is a good fit for the program. The interviewers won't know anything about your application and will be basing how well you perform via the questions asked.

I only just submitted my primary application for dental school. Ideally, you'd want to apply as soon as the cycle opens (while in the program), but because the summer anatomy course is so time-consuming, I couldn't get around to it until afterwards. If you want to be ahead of the game, have your personal statement finished and also have your transcripts and letters of recommendation sent out as soon as the application opens. You will not have ANY time at all to do so during the summer.

If you received that email, now it's just a waiting game! Last year, I had submitted my application in late January and received the email for the interview 4 days before the actual interview in February (February 16th vs. 20th)! I am assuming they will be having interviews February to March again, but we have not received any confirmation yet.

The interview itself is closed-file, meaning if you reached that far, all of your stats look good and now they're seeing if your personality is a good fit for the program. The interviewers won't know anything about your application and will be basing how well you perform via the questions asked.

I only just submitted my primary application for dental school. Ideally, you'd want to apply as soon as the cycle opens (while in the program), but because the summer anatomy course is so time-consuming, I couldn't get around to it until afterwards. If you want to be ahead of the game, have your personal statement finished and also have your transcripts and letters of recommendation sent out as soon as the application opens. You will not have ANY time at all to do so during the summer.

Thanks for responding, waiting is the hardest part! I called and they told me interviews don't start until January... hopefully they don't push them back to February. If you don't mind me asking what was your gpa and dat scores when applying?
Also, the prerequisite worksheet they have us fill out. Is the gpa they look at calculated off of the worksheet? In addition to looking at the gpa on my transcript? Im wondering what the purpose of the prerequisite worksheet is.

Thats what I've heard! That the anatomy course is a killer and you will have no time for anything else. Wishing the best for you!! I'm sure you'll get into CDM at western! Did you get your letters of rec from professors from the MSMS program? I ask because wouldn't dental schools prefer letters be from professors in a masters program vs undergad.

Thanks for responding, waiting is the hardest part! I called and they told me interviews don't start until January... hopefully they don't push them back to February. If you don't mind me asking what was your gpa and dat scores when applying?
Also, the prerequisite worksheet they have us fill out. Is the gpa they look at calculated off of the worksheet? In addition to looking at the gpa on my transcript? Im wondering what the purpose of the prerequisite worksheet is.

Thats what I've heard! That the anatomy course is a killer and you will have no time for anything else. Wishing the best for you!! I'm sure you'll get into CDM at western! Did you get your letters of rec from professors from the MSMS program? I ask because wouldn't dental schools prefer letters be from professors in a masters program vs undergad.

I'm not too proud of my GPA. Let's just say I hit average for overall GPA but scraped by with my science GPA. However, I did score a 21 on the DATs (20 science, 21 overall), so I definitely made up for it! :rofl:

The GPA will be calculated off that worksheet. The purpose of the worksheet was to make sure you have all the classes accounted for and also to recalculate your GPA if you retook a class in community college. If you did, the grade from the community college class would completely replace your previous grade from undergraduate (Ex. You received a C in physics in undergrad, but you retook it at a community college and received an A, now you actually have an A in physics).

And thank you for your kind wishes! I had 1 letter of recommendation from a science professor in undergraduate, 1 from a dentist I shadowed, 1 from a PI who I worked for in a lab, and 1 from an anatomy professor in the MSMS program. If you already have letters from undergraduate, you can just use those. The MSMS professor I asked is NOTORIOUSLY busy, so she couldn't get mine out to me until late September, and that's already pretty late into the application cycle.

I'm not too proud of my GPA. Let's just say I hit average for overall GPA but scraped by with my science GPA. However, I did score a 21 on the DATs (20 science, 21 overall), so I definitely made up for it! :rofl:

The GPA will be calculated off that worksheet. The purpose of the worksheet was to make sure you have all the classes accounted for and also to recalculate your GPA if you retook a class in community college. If you did, the grade from the community college class would completely replace your previous grade from undergraduate (Ex. You received a C in physics in undergrad, but you retook it at a community college and received an A, now you actually have an A in physics).

And thank you for your kind wishes! I had 1 letter of recommendation from a science professor in undergraduate, 1 from a dentist I shadowed, 1 from a PI who I worked for in a lab, and 1 from an anatomy professor in the MSMS program. If you already have letters from undergraduate, you can just use those. The MSMS professor I asked is NOTORIOUSLY busy, so she couldn't get mine out to me until late September, and that's already pretty late into the application cycle.

wow thats a good DAT score!! How do you like the program?? I can only imagine how much time and studying is required but definitely well worth it.
so i recently found out that they took the pre-req worksheet off the website (it was put up this year by mistake and since i submitted my application in the beginning i ended up submitting it). its no longer a part of the application. instead they are looking at how applicants performed in all pre-dental (western cdm) pre req classes. this is so nerve racking!! because clearly i didn't do too well in all of my pre-req or i would have been accepted into dental school by now... just so nervous.

thank you so much for constantly getting back to me, means a lot because im sure you're very busy

Hi there! Thanks again for taking time for our questions.

What is the average entry GPA for MSMS students? I've been told I have an excellent application for my current med school interviews, it's just my 3.27 GPA holding me back. ochem really slayed me, but I've got a 511 MCAT and plenty of research experience. :c I see that you've applied in January; d'you think it's too competitive to apply now that it's December? Regarding LORs, is it possible to reuse med school LORs without asking your writers to update them? I can't read my LORs so I don't know how general they are.

How long did your personal statement responses go? I don't see a word count.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Would you say the MSMS program is beneficial If I have a 3.3 Cgpa and 3.49 science gpa
No mcat yet underep hispanic, Ive been getting alot of mixed reviews saying I should do post bacc or maybe that I shout take the mcat and apply directly any advice would be helpful thanks :)

Would you say the MSMS program is beneficial If I have a 3.3 Cgpa and 3.49 science gpa
No mcat yet underep hispanic, Ive been getting alot of mixed reviews saying I should do post bacc or maybe that I shout take the mcat and apply directly any advice would be helpful thanks :)

You can definitely get into DO school if you take MCAT and score decently. I would apply med schools first

wow thats a good DAT score!! How do you like the program?? I can only imagine how much time and studying is required but definitely well worth it.
so i recently found out that they took the pre-req worksheet off the website (it was put up this year by mistake and since i submitted my application in the beginning i ended up submitting it). its no longer a part of the application. instead they are looking at how applicants performed in all pre-dental (western cdm) pre req classes. this is so nerve racking!! because clearly i didn't do too well in all of my pre-req or i would have been accepted into dental school by now... just so nervous.

thank you so much for constantly getting back to me, means a lot because im sure you're very busy

At the moment, we have class MWF 1-4PM, and I stay on campus until 9/10PM just to study. It's about the same for TTh (out of the lab by 2PM, stay on campus to study until 7/8PM, and then go to the gym for my sanity's sake). Any free time during the weekend before an exam is basically non-existent too. Even though this program is difficult, it is doable.
So yes, it's definitely worth it!!! I don't think I would have been able to get in to a dental school straight either since even my pre-dental pre-req grades were not stellar. But don't worry, MSMS is concerned about your whole application, not just your grades! Your extracurricular activities, especially volunteer, is extremely important. Our program's vision is about helping underserved communities after all!

Hi there! Thanks again for taking time for our questions.

What is the average entry GPA for MSMS students? I've been told I have an excellent application for my current med school interviews, it's just my 3.27 GPA holding me back. ochem really slayed me, but I've got a 511 MCAT and plenty of research experience. :c I see that you've applied in January; d'you think it's too competitive to apply now that it's December? Regarding LORs, is it possible to reuse med school LORs without asking your writers to update them? I can't read my LORs so I don't know how general they are.

How long did your personal statement responses go? I don't see a word count.

According to the competitive candidates page on our website, the average overall GPA is 3.18, with science being 3.05. If you have already applied to med school, there's no harm in applying to MSMS too as a backup plan. If you were accepted here and decided to go through the program, it's not like you'd be doing a post-bacc program, you'll be getting another degree out of this one, AND your foot in the door for WesternU's DO program!
I wouldn't let the December date hold you back from applying! If you're thinking of doing it, just get it in before the due date! I submitted my application in January and still ended up in the first wave of interviews so don't be discouraged.

Regarding LORs, I would highly recommend you ask your writers to update them. When I was on the student panel for our last Preview Day, someone had asked about that and Marcos, our director, said the LORs should be addressed to the MSMS program.

And I just dug up my personal statement: 628 words, 3888 characters. I would try to keep it at a page or so (if single spaced).

I would recommend you take the MCAT first. You'll be needing that score to apply to med school or this program anyways!

At the moment, we have class MWF 1-4PM, and I stay on campus until 9/10PM just to study. It's about the same for TTh (out of the lab by 2PM, stay on campus to study until 7/8PM, and then go to the gym for my sanity's sake). Any free time during the weekend before an exam is basically non-existent too. Even though this program is difficult, it is doable.
So yes, it's definitely worth it!!! I don't think I would have been able to get in to a dental school straight either since even my pre-dental pre-req grades were not stellar. But don't worry, MSMS is concerned about your whole application, not just your grades! Your extracurricular activities, especially volunteer, is extremely important. Our program's vision is about helping underserved communities after all!

does everyone in the program have the same schedule or do you get to pick and choose your classes/schedule?
And thanks for the feedback!

According to the competitive candidates page on our website, the average overall GPA is 3.18, with science being 3.05. If you have already applied to med school, there's no harm in applying to MSMS too as a backup plan. If you were accepted here and decided to go through the program, it's not like you'd be doing a post-bacc program, you'll be getting another degree out of this one, AND your foot in the door for WesternU's DO program!
I wouldn't let the December date hold you back from applying! If you're thinking of doing it, just get it in before the due date! I submitted my application in January and still ended up in the first wave of interviews so don't be discouraged.

Regarding LORs, I would highly recommend you ask your writers to update them. When I was on the student panel for our last Preview Day, someone had asked about that and Marcos, our director, said the LORs should be addressed to the MSMS program.

And I just dug up my personal statement: 628 words, 3888 characters. I would try to keep it at a page or so (if single spaced).

thank you SO much! this is great information.

does everyone in the program have the same schedule or do you get to pick and choose your classes/schedule?
And thanks for the feedback!

Hey! I'm in the MSMS program as well. We all take the same classes, so our MWF schedules are the same in terms of classes. T/R schedule varies based on your research position/how demanding your lab is, but we do have 9am-2pm designated as "research time."

Hey! I'm in the MSMS program as well. We all take the same classes, so our MWF schedules are the same in terms of classes. T/R schedule varies based on your research position/how demanding your lab is, but we do have 9am-2pm designated as "research time."
thanks for responding!

Hi, thanks for taking your time to answer our questions!! I wanna ask you if you know anyone who is international student in your MSMS program? I am an international student myself and this program is my top choice; however, I don't know if being an intl' student lowers my chance of matriculation. Again, thank you!!

Hi, thanks for taking your time to answer our questions!! I wanna ask you if you know anyone who is international student in your MSMS program? I am an international student myself and this program is my top choice; however, I don't know if being an intl' student lowers my chance of matriculation. Again, thank you!!

Sorry for the late reply, we've been on winter break for the last 3 weeks!
I don't think we had any international students recently, but I'm sure it wouldn't lower your chances as long as you fulfill all the prerequisites and requirements. If anything, I think it'd set you apart from other students applying for the program!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! Has anyone heard back ? I heard interview are supposed to start in Feb.

Hi everyone! Has anyone heard back ? I heard interview are supposed to start in Feb.

I haven't heard anything yet. I keep checking the application status. Mine says "Application materials received", but the statuses of the items in the Requirements box are blank. How is your application going?

I haven't heard anything yet. I keep checking the application status. Mine says "Application materials received", but the statuses of the items in the Requirements box are blank. How is your application going?
I see the received with dates. Nothing on status. but then, I had very low MCAT score. I feel like I'd be lucky to land an interview lol

I see the received with dates. Nothing on status. but then, I had very low MCAT score. I feel like I'd be lucky to land an interview lol
Me too, I have a very low MCAT score. I'm so nervous! Hopefully we will land an interview! Keep us updated! ;)

same, i have dates listed under received but nothing in the status column. last i heard they moved interviews back to feb.

i wouldn't worry too much about your mcat scores... essentially this program is for student who want to raise their scores and get into dental/medical schools. if our scores were higher we wudnt need this program. right? just tryna think positive.

Hi, do you guys know what kind of clinical exposure we get while in the program?

Hi,

Best,
Osteo-life

https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2017_post-bacc-programs.pdf?sfvrsn=4

According to this page it says that students linked are granted admission, but I can't find this information anywhere on their website. Do you have more information about this? Is it guaranteed admission after making a GPA cutoff of some sort?

Thanks!

Hi, do you guys know what kind of clinical exposure we get while in the program?

We are required to do research, and some have PIs whose projects provide some clinical exposure.
Otherwise, we're required to do 30 hours of shadowing on our own, so you'd be getting clinical experience that way.

https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2017_post-bacc-programs.pdf?sfvrsn=4

According to this page it says that students linked are granted admission, but I can't find this information anywhere on their website. Do you have more information about this? Is it guaranteed admission after making a GPA cutoff of some sort?

Thanks!

There isn't guaranteed admission, or linkage, anymore. The previous year did have a contract that required a certain GPA, but we do not have it for our class this year.

There isn't guaranteed admission, or linkage, anymore. The previous year did have a contract that required a certain GPA, but we do not have it for our class this year.

Thanks, you saved me some money. :D

Hi,

Since they're starting interviews in February this year, are they going to push the interview dates to April??

To give a generic timeline:
I submitted Jan 19 and got an interview two weeks before the March interview (only word). I had a panic attack when applicants received February interview dates. Thankfully, everything worked out.

I would also like to mention that one of the directors said that personal statements are read before your stats. I advise all applicants to look at our mission statement and see if the program is for you. Best of luck, MSMS is wonderful.

P.S. They planned three interview dates but ended up doing two last year.

Are you guys guaranteed an interview though if you all do well in the program? I know most schools have guaranteed interviews that lead to acceptance.

Are you guys guaranteed an interview though if you all do well in the program? I know most schools have guaranteed interviews that lead to acceptance.

you will most likely receive an interview if you do well in all your classes, have an adequate MCAT/DAT score, and maintain professionalism/a positive image throughout the program. That being said, the conditions for interviews are defined by the professional schools themselves (COMP and CDM).

Hey guys, just a heads up! We received word from our director that there will be 2 interview dates scheduled: Saturday, February 25th and Saturday, April 1st.

Reactions: 2 users
you will most likely receive an interview if you do well in all your classes, have an adequate MCAT/DAT score, and maintain professionalism/a positive image throughout the program. That being said, the conditions for interviews are defined by the professional schools themselves (COMP and CDM).

Thank you for your response. I was thinking about applying. Did they give you guys the condition yet or does it change with each year. I know some school have clause if you get a 3.0 or better than you get an interview.

Thank you for your response. I was thinking about applying. Did they give you guys the condition yet or does it change with each year. I know some school have clause if you get a 3.0 or better than you get an interview.

the conditions change with each year, but they are realistic, fair expectations that can be met if you really put in the effort and prove that you're able to handle an academically rigorous curriculum. I highly recommend applying. If you have any other questions about the program in general, feel free to pm me!

does anyone know if they've started to review applications? i called to ask and was told "they are getting a slow start this year", not exactly a yes or no haha

Hey guys! Do you guys know the average DAT score for accepted students into the program? I couldn't find it on their website.

Hey guys! Do you guys know the average DAT score for accepted students into the program? I couldn't find it on their website.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to compare the MCAT avg percentile and cross reference that with the DAT. From my gathering, there seems to be a wide range of scores.

If I remember correctly, yes, that's where I put down my shadowing experience.

Thanks for the reply! This might be a silly question, but does it look really bad if you don't fill up all 10 spots for awards/scholarships?

So I've submit my MSMS app, but I just retook my MCAT a few days ago. Would it be useful to send the results to EDS at that time (Feb 21st), regardless of the app deadline?

So I've submit my MSMS app, but I just retook my MCAT a few days ago. Would it be useful to send the results to EDS at that time (Feb 21st), regardless of the app deadline?

I'm actually unsure how to proceed with that. I would the call the admissions counselor and ask.