WesternU MSMS 2017/2018

Started by chubbybunz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've submit my MSMS app, but I just retook my MCAT a few days ago. Would it be useful to send the results to EDS at that time (Feb 21st), regardless of the app deadline?
If you have submitted, they will proceed with what you have submitted. We can't update. That's what I was told. We could update after we get accepted.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How important is research experience for this program?

It definitely helps to have lab experience, but it isn't necessary. When you're getting matched with a PI for research, you have the choice of doing wet lab work, clinical research, or literature reviews.
 
Hello!

I just submitted my application and was wondering if it was possible to submit more than the required 3 letters of recommendation?

Thank you for your time!
 
Hello!

I just submitted my application and was wondering if it was possible to submit more than the required 3 letters of recommendation?

Thank you for your time!

All admissions questions should be directed to the admissions office. We can only answer questions from a student's perspective, about student life, academics, etc., not about logistics regarding the application process.
 
I literally just had all the material received on 2/1/2017.. I don't have a competitive GPA around 3.05.. and I am applying for the pre-PA.. Only got 312 as my GRE score..
 
same, haven't heard back yet. Why do you say the 10th tho?
According to Chubbybunz on this thread, interviews will take place February 25th and Saturday, April 1st. On the website it lists we'll be notified 2 weeks before the interview.

Good luck to us all!
 
According to Chubbybunz on this thread, interviews will take place February 25th and Saturday, April 1st. On the website it lists we'll be notified 2 weeks before the interview.

Good luck to us all!

Those dates still hold true! We received an email last week asking the class to volunteer on those days. You'll be meeting me and some of the others in this thread! 😉
 
How about pre-PA students? Do they have specific numbers of slots reserved for pre-PA students?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How about pre-PA students? Do they have specific numbers of slots reserved for pre-PA students?

Generally, MSMS reserves spots for pre-DO and pre-dentals, and the rest for pre-anything else (this year, we had 20 pre-DO, 8 pre-dental, and 2 pre-optometry). There was actually 1 pre-PA last year. But the PA program at WesternU is VERY competitive, so I'd imagine you'd have to have pretty high stats to get in the MSMS program if you're trying to get into WesternU's PA program afterwards.
Again, I don't work in Admissions or anything, I'm just a lowly student (LOL), so this is all speculation.
 
Last edited:
anxiously waiting for friday!

How does the interview process work? Is it one-on-one? open/closed file? student interviews?
 
anxiously waiting for friday!

How does the interview process work? Is it one-on-one? open/closed file? student interviews?
I wouldn't totally freak out if you don't hear back Friday. I assume we'll be hearing back starting Friday but also over the next week after. But yeah I also get you, I'm refreshing my email every 5 minutes even though it's too early.
 
anxiously waiting for friday!

How does the interview process work? Is it one-on-one? open/closed file? student interviews?
I wouldn't totally freak out if you don't hear back Friday. I assume we'll be hearing back starting Friday but also over the next week after. But yeah I also get you, I'm refreshing my email every 5 minutes even though it's too early.

I didn't get my interview call until 4 days before the actual interview day, so be patient!
For the interview itself, mine was with a faculty professor from CDM, a D2 student, and a current MSMS student, closed file.
 
I got an email for an interview for Feb 25. Everything was received by November 18th for me. Tbh I really want to go to this program since I want to attend med school in california and practice there. However, I have been around SDN and have seen a good amount of negative threads regarding the med school. Although I know they're mostly subjective experiences from strangers, it does put some doubt on my mind.

Anyone have any anecdotes they'd like to share about the DO program and/or the MS program?
 
I got an email for an interview for Feb 25. Everything was received by November 18th for me. Tbh I really want to go to this program since I want to attend med school in california and practice there. However, I have been around SDN and have seen a good amount of negative threads regarding the med school. Although I know they're mostly subjective experiences from strangers, it does put some doubt on my mind.

Anyone have any anecdotes they'd like to share about the DO program and/or the MS program?

We take anatomy during the summer with 1st year DOs and most of the MSMS alumni who have become 1st year DOs. From what I've seen, MSMS has definitely prepared them for COMP (the whole point of the MSMS program is to prepare you and get you into professional school after all!). One of the past MSMS alumni actually held study sessions for me and another classmate every single weekend (all while he was taking anatomy with us!) to make sure we were prepared for the exams. And the MSMS alumni were the ones who were boosting up the averages as well.
All of the DOs I've known and talked to have said nothing but good things about COMP. Yes, it's difficult and stressful, but it's doable and you just keep chugging along. The mentality I've seen everyone have is, there's no such thing as giving up. Medical school is going to be hard, but despite all of that, you're still going to work your ass off to be a doctor.
 
I got an email for an interview for Feb 25. Everything was received by November 18th for me. Tbh I really want to go to this program since I want to attend med school in california and practice there. However, I have been around SDN and have seen a good amount of negative threads regarding the med school. Although I know they're mostly subjective experiences from strangers, it does put some doubt on my mind.

Anyone have any anecdotes they'd like to share about the DO program and/or the MS program?

goodluck on your interview!
 
I just received the email this past Monday saying my application is ready for review so I'm guessing I won't be hearing back until it's time for the April interview. Did anyone else hear back yet?
 
I just received the email this past Monday saying my application is ready for review so I'm guessing I won't be hearing back until it's time for the April interview. Did anyone else hear back yet?
I have not yet gotten my email that my app is ready for review, which makes me nervous. I did ask admissions if all required docs were received and they said yes and the portal shows everything received. I'm wondering if a lot more people applied this year!
 
I have not yet gotten my email that my app is ready for review, which makes me nervous. I did ask admissions if all required docs were received and they said yes and the portal shows everything received. I'm wondering if a lot more people applied this year!

I think it's definitely possible that they received MANY more applicants this year than previous years. It could explain the slower updates.
 
There was also something unexpected that happened that could be a big cause for application delays. Judging by the size of how many MSMSers that are going to be present on the first interview date, it's going to be small.

Best of luck
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There was also something unexpected that happened that could be a big cause for application delays. Judging by the size of how many MSMSers that are going to be present on the first interview date, it's going to be small.

Best of luck

Does this mean they will accept less than 30 applicants? Also, when I try to log onto my application it says "the webpage is not available." Is this what you are referring to? Anyone else experiencing this?
 
Do they typically send rejection emails immediately after they review a file or will they send one massive, group email of shattered dreams?
 
I got an email for an interview for Feb 25. Everything was received by November 18th for me. Tbh I really want to go to this program since I want to attend med school in california and practice there. However, I have been around SDN and have seen a good amount of negative threads regarding the med school. Although I know they're mostly subjective experiences from strangers, it does put some doubt on my mind.

Anyone have any anecdotes they'd like to share about the DO program and/or the MS program?

Regardless of what you may have heard on SDN about WesternU, I want to clarify that it is one of the best OMS in the country. Many OMS boast about serving the underserved, but COMP actually does that, especially given its location.

The MSMS program is hard. I will admit that we are examined under a microscope all year. With that being said, you do in fact learn about being a professional. From the way we are dressed, to the way we are supposed to speak, we are being groomed for the DO program, because when it comes down to you vs. another applicant, this is what is going to give you the edge. The DO program here is great, and from what I've heard from the former MSMSers/now OMS-Is, they love it. They really feel that MSMS prepared them to kick butt during first year. In fact, my friend just posted a photo of the honor society for COMP OMS-I, and a good chunk of the MSMSers that matriculated made the honor society.

IF you have doubts, I suggest you do a bit more research OUTSIDE of SDN, as I feel that some people on SDN can be quite toxic.
 
Regardless of what you may have heard on SDN about WesternU, I want to clarify that it is one of the best OMS in the country. Many OMS boast about serving the underserved, but COMP actually does that, especially given its location.

The MSMS program is hard. I will admit that we are examined under a microscope all year. With that being said, you do in fact learn about being a professional. From the way we are dressed, to the way we are supposed to speak, we are being groomed for the DO program, because when it comes down to you vs. another applicant, this is what is going to give you the edge. The DO program here is great, and from what I've heard from the former MSMSers/now OMS-Is, they love it. They really feel that MSMS prepared them to kick butt during first year. In fact, my friend just posted a photo of the honor society for COMP OMS-I, and a good chunk of the MSMSers that matriculated made the honor society.

IF you have doubts, I suggest you do a bit more research OUTSIDE of SDN, as I feel that some people on SDN can be quite toxic.
It is outstanding getting to read your previous posts last year as I was preparing to apply, and then seeing your update and hearing how satisfied you are with the program! Congrats on being so close to the MSMS finish line! :highfive:
 
FYI for anyone this could potentially benefit: I just submitted new MCAT scores to EDS, and they've been updated on the online application. It's always worth a try!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FYI for anyone this could potentially benefit: I just submitted new MCAT scores to EDS, and they've been updated on the online application. It's always worth a try!
Man those lying ........ they told me what's done is done... gg got fooled too hard
 
Received a call this morning on my way to work notifying me of my acceptance to the program for 2017-2018 school year. I'm taking it! Interviewed on the 25th, a day before my birthday, so I am stoked to get this late birthday present. Should get the official letter tomorrow when staff is in! Good luck to everyone else & look forward to meeting you all this May!