What about religious intolerance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3aliyah

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi people,

I've been wondering about religious intolerance since the 9/11 attacks. I am a Muslim (white American convert) and I wear a scarf to cover my hair. I have been told that perhaps I should not wear it in my interviews just in case one (or more) of the committee members has some prejudice. At the moment I'm facing an inner struggle with what my heart believes in and what my brain thinks I should do instead. Any input?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You really need to ask yourself if you want the answer. It's up to you, basically. There are plenty of hijab wearing med students. I know lots of them. Whatever makes you comfortable.

I say go without it for the interviews... this isn't an easy issue... but, the simple answer is just go without it. You're not hiding anything or doing anything immoral by going without it for your interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you really want to go to a school where someone on the adcom would judge you based on something you're wearing on your head? I say wear it. Just be yourself.

THere are TWO of these threads!?!?

Thank you for the input. I think I am now more inclined to wear my scarf. And Shadow - you made a good point by bringing up the fact that if someone on the adcom is prejudice why would I want to go to a school like that anyway!? GOOD POINT. Imtiaz - you almost sound like a Muslim with your reply. :) Yes, wearing a scarf is a personal issue - that is true. I think I simply wear it and if they don't want to accept me for who I am then so be it - they aren't worth it anyway. (It's not like I will truly know if it's their prejudice though...)

thanks again!