Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

what about the working class? anyone with a 30+?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by MedChic, May 11, 2007.

1. MedChic

MedChic Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 19, 2005
    So it must be nice for those of us taking or retaking the MCAT who can put their full energy into the process again. But what about those who work - full time or part time?

I really would love to hear from anyone who scored over a 30 while working (fulltime or close to it especially)

Would it be advisable to not work and put my energy into this test again? (I'd really rather not "not work" though) I won't have school in the summer so a job and the MCAT would be all I'd be doing but plenty of people are not working so I fear I'll be at a disadvntage.

Please let me know if you've done well on this test with a JOB!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. deuist

deuist Stealthfully Sarcastic Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Florida
    I was working about 40 hours a week and taking two graduate classes when I retook the MCAT. All you need to do is set aside 1-2 hours every night for studying. I started in January and studied almost daily until the April paper-based exam. I got above a 30.

4. inside_edition

inside_edition Waitlisted Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2006
    depends on what you mean by work:eek:

5. bioteach

bioteach MSIV 7+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I got a 33 while working more than full time. I worked about 55 hours a week this semester. I began studying for the MCATs in December and hadn't actually had a class in physics, organic and chem in 7 years. I used the Kaplan books and AAMC tests.

6. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting.... Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Florida/Fellowship
    I was working full time in the lab and part time for Kaplan while I studied for the MCAT. It was absolutely insane and I was really burned out by the end. If you can, try to cut back on your work some. I think if I could do it again, I'd have worked fewer hours in the lab while studying. I did take some time off the last week, but I would have done it sooner. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. :p

7. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    MDApps:
    I know....I have a job, but I don't really "work" per se.:laugh: It's a great arrangement! In fact, I did the majority of my MCAT studying there.

8. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Carrboro, NC
    I studied for the MCAT while a full-time student + spending about 20 hrs/wk in a lab (and I did very well). I think this is pretty standard. I assume only a small minority of people can take a few months off to do nothing but study for the MCAT (but maybe I'm wrong). It's hard to pack MCAT prep into an already busy schedule, but it's doable. You just need to make it a priority and use your time efficiently. Good luck.

9. MedChic

MedChic Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 19, 2005
    It's certainly nice to see people with such full schedules do well. Thank you for responding! I was getting a bit intimidated by the "post your MCAT schedule" thread.

I'm going to squeeze 2-3 hours before work, work 9-5, then come back around 630(commuting included), eat, rest till 730 and put in another 2-3 hrs. That should work right?

And yes, i do have a real job where I have to actually work and have 0 time to study.

10. killinsound

killinsound Physician 10+ Year Member

Aug 30, 2006
    i know i wasnt busy as some people here, but i was taking two classes (quarter system) working 20 hours, volunteering 10 hours a week at the hospital. i did reasonably well!

just remember to take breaks not to burn out. pace yourself like you're running a marathon. good luck!

11. BrokenGlass

BrokenGlass 2+ Year Member

Jan 12, 2007
    There is work and there is work. Some jobs are such that you can spend a lot of time at work for MCAT prep. I work 40 hours a week, but I definitely cannot do any MCAT studying at work. I think it's possbile to score over 30 even if one cannot study at work...

12. LadyLightning20

LadyLightning20 7+ Year Member

May 26, 2007
    MDApps:
    MedChic -

Your schedule looks basically the same as mine. It's really good to know that someone else is doing the exact same thing I am. I'm taking it August 14th, so we'll see how that goes...

13. pinkblue

pinkblue 2+ Year Member

May 17, 2007
    I've been working full time while studying for the MCAT. I took TPR in the evenings and then for about 2 hours afterwards. On weekends I'd try to study all day.

My advice is... If you take a review course, give yourself a little extra time. I ended my review course at the beginning of May but am not taking the exam until June 15th. I knew I'd need time to catch up on some of the details. Also, get a copy of Audio Osmosis. Its expensive, but it made me feel more productive on the way to work. Also, don't get mad at yourself if you have to take a few nights off to relax.

I started off pretty low, but I've gone up 15 points from my first tpr diagnostic to my most recent practice test. You'll be fine... just stay focused!