what about the working class? anyone with a 30+?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedChic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it must be nice for those of us taking or retaking the MCAT who can put their full energy into the process again. But what about those who work - full time or part time?

I really would love to hear from anyone who scored over a 30 while working (fulltime or close to it especially)

Would it be advisable to not work and put my energy into this test again? (I'd really rather not "not work" though) I won't have school in the summer so a job and the MCAT would be all I'd be doing but plenty of people are not working so I fear I'll be at a disadvntage.

Please let me know if you've done well on this test with a JOB!

Members don't see this ad.

I was working about 40 hours a week and taking two graduate classes when I retook the MCAT. All you need to do is set aside 1-2 hours every night for studying. I started in January and studied almost daily until the April paper-based exam. I got above a 30.

So it must be nice for those of us taking or retaking the MCAT who can put their full energy into the process again. But what about those who work - full time or part time?

I really would love to hear from anyone who scored over a 30 while working (fulltime or close to it especially)

Would it be advisable to not work and put my energy into this test again? (I'd really rather not "not work" though) I won't have school in the summer so a job and the MCAT would be all I'd be doing but plenty of people are not working so I fear I'll be at a disadvntage.

depends on what you mean by work:eek:

I got a 33 while working more than full time. I worked about 55 hours a week this semester. I began studying for the MCATs in December and hadn't actually had a class in physics, organic and chem in 7 years. I used the Kaplan books and AAMC tests.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was working full time in the lab and part time for Kaplan while I studied for the MCAT. It was absolutely insane and I was really burned out by the end. If you can, try to cut back on your work some. I think if I could do it again, I'd have worked fewer hours in the lab while studying. I did take some time off the last week, but I would have done it sooner. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. :p

I studied for the MCAT while a full-time student + spending about 20 hrs/wk in a lab (and I did very well). I think this is pretty standard. I assume only a small minority of people can take a few months off to do nothing but study for the MCAT (but maybe I'm wrong). It's hard to pack MCAT prep into an already busy schedule, but it's doable. You just need to make it a priority and use your time efficiently. Good luck.

It's certainly nice to see people with such full schedules do well. Thank you for responding! I was getting a bit intimidated by the "post your MCAT schedule" thread.

I'm going to squeeze 2-3 hours before work, work 9-5, then come back around 630(commuting included), eat, rest till 730 and put in another 2-3 hrs. That should work right?

And yes, i do have a real job where I have to actually work and have 0 time to study.

i know i wasnt busy as some people here, but i was taking two classes (quarter system) working 20 hours, volunteering 10 hours a week at the hospital. i did reasonably well!

just remember to take breaks not to burn out. pace yourself like you're running a marathon. good luck!

There is work and there is work. Some jobs are such that you can spend a lot of time at work for MCAT prep. I work 40 hours a week, but I definitely cannot do any MCAT studying at work. I think it's possbile to score over 30 even if one cannot study at work...

MedChic -

Your schedule looks basically the same as mine. It's really good to know that someone else is doing the exact same thing I am. I'm taking it August 14th, so we'll see how that goes...

I've been working full time while studying for the MCAT. I took TPR in the evenings and then for about 2 hours afterwards. On weekends I'd try to study all day.

My advice is... If you take a review course, give yourself a little extra time. I ended my review course at the beginning of May but am not taking the exam until June 15th. I knew I'd need time to catch up on some of the details. Also, get a copy of Audio Osmosis. Its expensive, but it made me feel more productive on the way to work. Also, don't get mad at yourself if you have to take a few nights off to relax.

I started off pretty low, but I've gone up 15 points from my first tpr diagnostic to my most recent practice test. You'll be fine... just stay focused!