What alternate/home remedies are you confident enough to recommend to patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If the patient can't afford Lamisil for their fungus amongus nails or their liver can't take it, I'll suggest covering the nail with Vicks vapor rub qd. Should start clearing up within a couple weeks if they do it every day. It's worked with 3 of my family members with their absolutely nastyass looking yellow toenails.
But I have no idea which ingredient does this. :( I read somewhere that it's the thymol in it?

Do you all recommend any off the wall remedies?

Members don't see this ad.

If the patient can't afford Lamisil for their fungus amongus nails or their liver can't take it, I'll suggest covering the nail with Vicks vapor rub qd. Should start clearing up within a couple weeks if they do it every day. It's worked with 3 of my family members with their absolutely nastyass looking yellow toenails.
But I have no idea which ingredient does this. :( I read somewhere that it's the thymol in it?

Do you all recommend any off the wall remedies?

yeah, for hiccups, I recommend they cluck like a duck. it doesn't work, at all, but it sure is funny to see!

yeah, for hiccups, I recommend they cluck like a duck. it doesn't work, at all, but it sure is funny to see!

I know you're just being silly, but a spoonful of peanut butter works for hiccups.

I've advised patients with sunburn to put vinegar on it. It's strangely soothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the patient can't afford Lamisil for their fungus amongus nails or their liver can't take it, I'll suggest covering the nail with Vicks vapor rub qd. Should start clearing up within a couple weeks if they do it every day. But I have no idea which ingredient does this. :( I read somewhere that it's the thymol in it?

Supposedly, in addition to thymol, its other ingredients - menthol, eucalyptus oil, camphor - are active against several fungal organisms.

Cover the wart for 6-7 days with duct tape. The duct tape induces the immune system to attack the wart.

We often recommend to patients some old time remedies,,,,
like a warm moist tea bag for slight bleeding/oozing - bite on the tea bag like they would do with gauze - the tannic acid helps stop the bleeding, the tea taste helps previde vomiting (which would dislodge the clot in the extraction site)

in lieu of an ice pack for myofascial pain (hard to curve around face) use froozen corn kennels or peas (place an X on bag to remind them not to use it for food)... use a bag on both sides - facial muscles are bilateral...

for yeast infections - candidosis - if they can't take active yougurt culture... use acidiliphilus tablets. Genetician(sp) violet also works rinse/spit...

i can go on and on,

Tea Tree Oil for nail fungus. Treatment has to last for six months as that's how long it takes for a nail to grow out.

The goo from the inside of the aloe plant for sun-burn.

Gargle with warm salt water for a moderate sore throat.

We often recommend to patients some old time remedies,,,,
like a warm moist tea bag for slight bleeding/oozing - bite on the tea bag like they would do with gauze - the tannic acid helps stop the bleeding, the tea taste helps previde vomiting (which would dislodge the clot in the extraction site)

in lieu of an ice pack for myofascial pain (hard to curve around face) use froozen corn kennels or peas (place an X on bag to remind them not to use it for food)... use a bag on both sides - facial muscles are bilateral...

for yeast infections - candidosis - if they can't take active yougurt culture... use acidiliphilus tablets. Genetician(sp) violet also works rinse/spit...

i can go on and on,

gentian violet for oral candidiasis (can't imagine someone putting the blue liq on their vagina, but you never know with some people)

Chicken soup for colds. :) And it helped me when I got myself into an anticholinergic toxidrome (don't try this at home!) battling the mother of all allergies... though I am pretty sure that magically coincided with the one of the drugs' half-life wearing off.

Cover the wart for 6-7 days with duct tape. The duct tape induces the immune system to attack the wart.

I recently read an article - it might have been in the NY Times Science section - about a study that proved this was not really effective in most cases.

Members don't see this ad :)
yah, it's not really conclusive but hey, duct tape is cheap. What do you have to loss?

gentian violet for oral candidiasis (can't imagine someone putting the blue liq on their vagina, but you never know with some people)

I thought gentian violet was Rx only.

Until after I posted this and I found that vaginal gentian violet is Rx. Oral is not.

Nevermind...

being in oral medicine/oral path I did mean for oral candidosis... but then again before the mycelex troches etc were released we Rx'd nystatin vagina tablet to dissolve slowly in mouth,,, and got many phone calls comfirming.

We also recommend Aloe juice or gel from health food stores for the burning mouth/tongue syndrome... works some times.

I personally like to try alternative remedies before drugs. I only take drugs if I absolutely have to. Kind of ironic that I want to be a pharmacist, huh?

Anyhow, if someone's kid has an ear infection and they're not comfortable with antibiotics, a cervical spine adjustment from the chiropractor works wonders. I've done this a couple of times with my kid. He loves it.

Also, for a mild bladder infection or kidney infection when someone is uncomfortable with antibiotics, there's stuff called Phosfood, it's a phosphorus based liquid. Put some of that in your water and drink up, clears it up within a day. I've used this several times myself.

From my experience, chiropractic helps most everything, even if you think it would have nothing to do with it.

And then the more well-known stuff, yogurt or garlic up the who-ha for a yeast infection, breastmilk for any type of cut or ear infection (if you have a lactating lady you trust available), etc.

Anyhow, if someone's kid has an ear infection and they're not comfortable with antibiotics, a cervical spine adjustment from the chiropractor works wonders. I've done this a couple of times with my kid. He loves it.

From my experience, chiropractic helps most everything, even if you think it would have nothing to do with it.

Does your kid like strokes too? Nothing like a dangerous unproven treatment replacing a simple safe usually effective course of antibiotics. I have little/no faith in chiropractics for anything other than specific muscularskeletal problems.

breastmilk for any type of cut or ear infection (if you have a lactating lady you trust available), etc.

Say you have an ear infection and the chiropractic thing does not work, do you go searching for a lactating woman? Do you stock up on the stuff or do you usually have to get it on tap?

For head lice, I like the mixtures of lavender, tea tree, and some other essential oils in vegetable oil (you can get the actual 'recipe' on line). You mix it up in a bottle (makes a fairly large quantity), coat the kid's hair with it, then wrap in a shower cap or saran wrap (please wrap the hair only, not the whole head). Leave it on for a while, use the nit comb to get all the now-dead lice and unglued nits out of the hair, then shampoo the oil out. You might have to shampoo the hair a couple days in a row, it's pretty darn oily. ;-)

This works much, much better than RID and the other pesticide-laden poisons out there, it's not harmful if you have to do it a couple times a week, you don't worry so much about burning up your kids' eyes and/or scalp, and once you get all the oil shampooed out, the kid's hair is actually pretty nice.

For head lice, I like the mixtures of lavender, tea tree, and some other essential oils in vegetable oil (you can get the actual 'recipe' on line). You mix it up in a bottle (makes a fairly large quantity), coat the kid's hair with it, then wrap in a shower cap or saran wrap (please wrap the hair only, not the whole head). Leave it on for a while, use the nit comb to get all the now-dead lice and unglued nits out of the hair, then shampoo the oil out. You might have to shampoo the hair a couple days in a row, it's pretty darn oily. ;-)

This works much, much better than RID and the other pesticide-laden poisons out there, it's not harmful if you have to do it a couple times a week, you don't worry so much about burning up your kids' eyes and/or scalp, and once you get all the oil shampooed out, the kid's hair is actually pretty nice.

I'd recommend shaving the kid's head before I'd tell a parent to travel around looking for oils, herbs and plastic wrap when RID is just down the aisle and is: safe, proven and effective. The salad dressing approach probably smells nice while it's mellowing under wrap, though. :laugh: I love the smell of lavender.

Does your kid like strokes too? Nothing like a dangerous unproven treatment replacing a simple safe usually effective course of antibiotics. I have little/no faith in chiropractics for anything other than specific muscularskeletal problems.

Have you ever been to a chiropractor? Have you done any research whatsoever on this? I have little/no faith in doctors for anything other than my appendix bursting suddenly. And not that I have to justify anything to your close-mindedness, but if an adjustment doesn't help, it doesn't harm anything, so you're none the worse.

Say you have an ear infection and the chiropractic thing does not work, do you go searching for a lactating woman? Do you stock up on the stuff or do you usually have to get it on tap?

Yes, when I was breastfeeding I did stock up. Got a problem with it? Is it too gross for your little boy mind to wrap around? And if I had a family member/friend that could give it to me from the tap, I don't have a problem with that either.

I knew I shouldn't have replied to this post, so many of you seem so close-minded that I was shocked that an "alternative treatment" thread popped up.

Yes, when I was breastfeeding I did stock up. Got a problem with it? Is it too gross for your little boy mind to wrap around? And if I had a family member/friend that could give it to me from the tap, I don't have a problem with that either.

I knew I shouldn't have replied to this post, so many of you seem so close-minded that I was shocked that an "alternative treatment" thread popped up.

No....I am pretty sure my little boy mind can wrap around things worse than that. But I will admit chugging someone elses breast milk is gross. I just dont see why in the world you would do such a thing. I can understand not wanting to take meds.... I try not to take anything unless I absolutely have to. However, I am also not afraid of them.

The idea behind breast milk is to give the mothers antibodies to the child to protect it while it builds its immune system up. Even then, the antibodies only protect the child for 6 months, which is why they have to get vaccinated. The chance that antibodies contained in the breast milk are for the bacterium causing the ear infection are almost non existant. Especially since bacteria mutate so often.

Most ear infections are caused by other bacteria in the body. I am not talking about your normal flora, I am talking along the lines of the bacteria that causes a person to become ill, such as a cold. Before the person starts to show symptoms of the cold, the body is making antibodies. This is why alot of ear infections go away on their own, because of the immune system. So if you gave your kid someone elses breast milk at the first sign of an ear infection and the ear infection went away, you would more than likely contribute that to the breast milk than the childs own immune system.

So explain to me the scientific/biological reason why you give yourself/your kid (who I am guessing is/are older than 6 months) breast milk.

Dont worry about other posts, It is merely opinions. No one has to agree with you and you dont have to agree with others. Trust me, I thought the same when I first started posting, but you probably wont meet anyone on here in person, so go ahead and keep posting and tell us what your thinking!!Ive been called some names, but hey, F**K it... Post your thoughts and learn from others and others will learn from you!!

Antibiotics are probably overused for childhood ear infections, but I doubt that breast milk will treat one. If so, I look forward to your peer-reviewed, evidence-based paper. Let me know the publish date. We'll start human dairy farms!

I went back and read your original post where you actually recommended someone put garlic in their vagina. (I assume that's what you meant by "who-ha".) What?!

This thread should probably be closed before someone gets hurt.

No....I am pretty sure my little boy mind can wrap around things worse than that. But I will admit chugging someone elses breast milk is gross. I just dont see why in the world you would do such a thing. I can understand not wanting to take meds.... I try not to take anything unless I absolutely have to. However, I am also not afraid of them.

The idea behind breast milk is to give the mothers antibodies to the child to protect it while it builds its immune system up. Even then, the antibodies only protect the child for 6 months, which is why they have to get vaccinated. The chance that antibodies contained in the breast milk are for the bacterium causing the ear infection are almost non existant. Especially since bacteria mutate so often.

Most ear infections are caused by other bacteria in the body. I am not talking about your normal flora, I am talking along the lines of the bacteria that causes a person to become ill, such as a cold. Before the person starts to show symptoms of the cold, the body is making antibodies. This is why alot of ear infections go away on their own, because of the immune system. So if you gave your kid someone elses breast milk at the first sign of an ear infection and the ear infection went away, you would more than likely contribute that to the breast milk than the childs own immune system.

So explain to me the scientific/biological reason why you give yourself/your kid (who I am guessing is/are older than 6 months) breast milk.

So you think that the beneficial properties of breast milk just disappear after 6 months? Absolutely not. It's beneficial for a lifetime, our society just makes boobs to be funbags instead of what they're really for - to provide nourishment for a child. The antibodies are most beneficial for the first TWO YEARS, not 6 months (World Health Organization), and they can certainly help after that. One can make their own antibodies after that, but a boost of them never hurts anything.

And never did I say to drink it. You put it directly onto the cut/ear whatever. Do you think that maybe the fact that a single drop of breast milk contains about a million white blood cells could have anything to do with its healing properties?

Think about it, before you come to a thread about ALTERNATIVE REMEDIES, and tell us how conventional medicine is so much better than what we've been using since the beginning of mankind. mmkay pumpkin?

Antibiotics are probably overused for childhood ear infections, but I doubt that breast milk will treat one. If so, I look forward to your peer-reviewed, evidence-based paper. Let me know the publish date. We'll start human dairy farms!

I went back and read your original post where you actually recommended someone put garlic in their vagina. (I assume that's what you meant by "who-ha".) What?!

This thread should probably be closed before someone gets hurt.

And as for the garlic, it has natural anti-fungal properties. Look it up. Here's a link to a partial article.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pagerender.fcgi?artid=203719&pageindex=1

And nobody will get hurt if the people dead-set against alternative remedies wouldn't keep harassing the ones that do it.

They also say you can use Cetaphil lotion in the hair, let sit, and comb out the dead buggies/nits :eek:

How do you plan on being a pharmacist if you have no faith in modern medicine. Are you going to take a rx from a patient, rip it up and hand them a glass of your breast milk and tell them to drink up?

How do you plan on being a pharmacist if you have no faith in modern medicine. Are you going to take a rx from a patient, rip it up and hand them a glass of your breast milk and tell them to drink up?

I agree that to be a pharmacist one must be able to trust the medications they are dispensing. One must be able to understand how the meds work and be able to tell the pt that the therapy the doc has prescribed will make them better. However, this is an alternative remedy thread and I see nothing wrong with a little breast milk info...I also see nothing wrong with someone who wants to try alternative therapy before going to rx drugs. To each their own...

Yeah, nether does Kevin Tredeau.

Sorry, that was a low blow but I really hate that guy and his infomercals

Haha, me too, That guy is a douche bag. I see no problem in people doing "alternative crap" to their bodies if they choose too...I do have a problem with people selling that crap and profiting (sp) from it. I never advise pts on weird crap and I usually never comment on weird crap. I always get "my friend told me to put dog caca..." I have no comment...

And never did I say to drink it. You put it directly onto the cut/ear whatever. Do you think that maybe the fact that a single drop of breast milk contains about a million white blood cells could have anything to do with its healing properties?

This is absolutely ignorant (keep in mind that I'm attacking your ideas, not you personally). It's not a matter of alternative medicine v. "conventional" medicine. It's a matter of intuition v. science. I'm not even going to try to educate you about the immune system and the concept of self v. non-self. I seriously hope you don't hurt someone.

Do us a favor and give your pharmacy school interviewers a lesson in breast milk instillation.

Antibiotics are probably overused for childhood ear infections

That's true. I think 70- 80% of ear infections just clear up without an antibiotic. An NSAID would help with the pain.

That's true. I think 70- 80% of ear infections just clear up without an antibiotic. An NSAID would help with the pain.

yeah, but 90% of the time they get the antibiotic...well, maybe not 90% of the time, but I always hear "my child has an ear infection, heres my antibiotic prescription". The "customer" is always right...:rolleyes:

Have you ever been to a chiropractor? Have you done any research whatsoever on this? I have little/no faith in doctors for anything other than my appendix bursting suddenly. And not that I have to justify anything to your close-mindedness, but if an adjustment doesn't help, it doesn't harm anything, so you're none the worse.

ACtually, it can do harm. My DH went to a chiropractor when he was having back problems. He then ended up with numbness down his leg. So he then went to a neurologist, has an MRI and it was determined that his "realignment" had misaligned a vertebrae..permanently. Luckily all he has is a bit of numbness in his leg. He has been told to NEVER go to a chirpractor again (granted his neurologist said that he has only told 3 people in his career to never go to a chiropractor, but that is enough for me to avoid them like the plague).

there is this thing called the financial toxicity to see a chiropractor. So if the adjustment doesn't work, then it hurts ur wallet.

I can respect your approach to health. At the same time I don't think pharmacists or pharmacy students are being close minded. I think we're programmed to believe evidence based healthcare not an anectdotal experience ot statement. There is merit in breast fed babies with less incidence of ear infections. But would I want to feed someone else breast milk? Hells no...The trust will have to come from knowing the breast milk is free of any virus or contamination proven by a lab test. Also...the consistency of breast milk will differ from one person to another and the level of passive immunity breast milk provides will lack consistency from one sample to another.

Instead of accusing other posters of being close minded, it would help your cause to provide the evidence to back up your claim.

Do you think that maybe the fact that a single drop of breast milk contains about a million white blood cells could have anything to do with its healing properties?

Citiation please.

Think about it, before you come to a thread about ALTERNATIVE REMEDIES, and tell us how conventional medicine is so much better than what we've been using since the beginning of mankind. mmkay pumpkin?

That's Flawed thinking. Maybe that is because it is what current technology limited them to. Humans used to bleed people out to cure fevers, should we still be doing that? I came into this thread to see some possible nifty remedies, ie the tea bag for tooth extractions

I have nothing against alt medicine when it has some data supporting its use. Use fish oil for your cholesterol before a statin and give St. John's Wort a shot before zoloft. If you want to do that and it's helping you, that's great. But telling people to take ther kids to a chiro for a ear infection and rubbing breast milk into open cuts is a little too far out

So you think that the beneficial properties of breast milk just disappear after 6 months? Absolutely not. It's beneficial for a lifetime, our society just makes boobs to be funbags instead of what they're really for - to provide nourishment for a child. The antibodies are most beneficial for the first TWO YEARS, not 6 months (World Health Organization), and they can certainly help after that. One can make their own antibodies after that, but a boost of them never hurts anything.

I dont think I said anything about conventional medicine.....I am too lazy to go back and look. Like others said, I feel antibiotics are prescribed too much and further harm us by creating resistant microbes (Ex. MRSA).

Would you happen to have a link to the W.H.O. article about the breast milk antibodies. I double checked after you posted and my micro book said maternal antibodies "fade" at about 6 months, but the ones that help prevent measles can last up to 15. I am not saying your wrong, I just want to get MY facts straight.

I had no clue that breast milk contained white blood cells. So yes....I did in a
sense over look the healing powers of WBC's. However, I am not quite sure the little extra would help. By the time the person starts presenting with an illness, the bodies own WBC's have turned into APC's, travled to the lymph, recruited Helper T-cells, and made Cytotoxic or B cells depending on if its Humoral or Cell mediated immune response. I also have no Idea how fast this works....so maybe it could help.

I have a question for anyone.....Since breastmilk contains WBC's, I am going to assume it contains RBC's. If it does contain even the slightest amount of RBC's would one have to worry about blood typing when getting it from another person?

Enough about breastmilk back to alternative treatment. Does anyone know how effective salt water is on bacteria in the throat?

Enough about breastmilk back to alternative treatment. Does anyone know how effective salt water is on bacteria in the throat?

I dont know how effective it is buts a remedy that was told to me when I was 10 years old. I still recommend it to this day. Are there any citations on this??

My pharmacist recommended I take acidophilus capsules during a course of antibiotics and I have since been forever grateful :D

An FNP once suggested I make a poultice out of fresh ginger to help draw out a deeply embedded splinter. Not sure if it was the ginger or time but it did eventually work its way out.

Without really weighing in one side or the other, I have to point out two minor flaws in your post. 1.) Most colds are caused by viruses, not bacteria.
2.) The point of breast feeding is WAYYY more than providing six months of immune support while the baby's own builds up. Lets see, um you have nutrition, hydration, bonding, calories, etc. Now while I dont advocate drinking other people's breast milk ( I admit it would gross me out to drink someone's breast milk besides my wifes and all ) if you think about it, everytime you drink milk or eat dairy products you are drinking the breast milk from a female of another species altogether.

Without really weighing in one side or the other, I have to point out two minor flaws in your post. 1.) Most colds are caused by viruses, not bacteria.
2.) The point of breast feeding is WAYYY more than providing six months of immune support while the baby's own builds up. Lets see, um you have nutrition, hydration, bonding, calories, etc. Now while I dont advocate drinking other people's breast milk ( I admit it would gross me out to drink someone's breast milk besides my wifes and all ) if you think about it, everytime you drink milk or eat dairy products you are drinking the breast milk from a female of another species altogether.

1) Good to know....Thanks.

2) I know it's not all about the antibodies....however, the point was about breastmilk and the "healing properties" of it. While it's true you drink milk from cows "breasts", to me its just different. It's pasteurized/homogenized and I am assuming is regulated in some form by the usda.