What are my best options moving forward?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justwantsomeadvice

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I state my stats, I know that my path will require some more years, and I’m willing to work for it. I just need to know the types of paths I would need to embark on moving forward.

Some info about me:

California Resident, Asian-Filipino, 24 yrs old, UCI for undergrad

cGPA: 3.367, with upward trend

sGPA: 3.30 I do have a C- in OChem Lab 1, I know I screwed up, and I don’t know how to go about retaking it cause it’s a Lab course. I know it was dumb of me not to retake while still in college.

MCAT: 502, planning to retake

Volunteering: ~ 600 hours in clinical setting, ~600 hours community service volunteering

Work: ~900 hours as a Internal Medicine medical scribe

Leadership: Multiple roles within my church community

Research: completed 2 quarters worth, but no publications/posters

Shadowing: ~40hrs Internal medicine

With the above being said, what would be the best options for me at this point to continue towards my goal of become a Doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet would be to take extension and summer classes for science upperdivs and retakes and take the MCAT afterward. That should make you a strong candidate for DO's. You are already competitive for many DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to go for MD, you need to retake the MCAT and score 510+. Also you need to complete a post bacc and take enough classes to get your cGPA and sGPA over 3.5 (probably two quarters of 16 units with straight A's).

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice would be to apply to special masters program where your MCAT is above their minimum required. Additional there are several Masters Program with a strong emphasis on Upper Level science courses (Johns Hopkins Master in Health Science in the Biochemistry and Molecular Bio department comes to mind . This won't make up for your GPA being on the lower end but will deffinetly show competency in a heavy science course load if you do well. This will also help you study for your MCAT retake. If you put in the time and effort into your grades you have a good chance at lower and some mid tier medical school.

Study, retake MCAT 510+, 1 year post bacc to bring GPAs up to 3.4/3.5
Apply to any DO school next year and some MDs that reward reinvention.

I have to respectfully disagree with the SMP in this case. OP's GPA are not low enough where additional courses couldn't bring him to a competitive GPA in a year. A SMP would not only be more expensive, but much riskier.

Reactions: 2 users

I have to respectfully disagree with the SMP in this case. OP's GPA are not low enough where additional courses couldn't bring him to a competitive GPA in a year. A SMP would not only be more expensive, but much riskier.
In regards to the post-bacc, do you think it would be best to do a DIY one or a structured one created by an institution? As well, where would I go about finding such information?

Your best bet would be to take extension and summer classes for science upperdivs and retakes and take the MCAT afterward. That should make you a strong candidate for DO's. You are already competitive for many DO schools.
Just wondering, were you a UC system undergrad? I am wondering because I don't have a clue on how extensions work.

Also wondering, in regards to my situation, why would an SMP prove to be riskier in your opinion?