MD & DO What are my chances 2021 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hazelnutmilktea

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a current applicant posting for my friend, she's thinking of applying primarily DO but also hoping to find some MD's that are in range of her stats. Thank you in advance!!

State of Residence: NY (Asian female)

Undergrad: bio major, studio art minor at top 30 school, large urban institution

MCAT: 507 (126/127/127/127) *also should she retake by the start of next cycle? If yes, how many points higher should she aim? Thank you!!

cGPA: 3.399 --> (aiming for 3.45 after this semester)
sGPA: 3.24

Research: ~500-600 hours at organic chemistry lab as research assistant, no publications

Shadowing: 0 (projected 30 hours PCP by summer 2020)

Clinical work: 120 hours at large urban hospital currently (projected 200 hours by summer 2020)

Volunteering: ~70 hours at senior center (projected 140 hours by summer 2020)

Miscellaneous: ~200-300 hours as a paid biology tutor and TA, projected 70 hours as an English tutor by summer 2020

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of her MCAT scores, the 507 is perfect for DO and defintiely works for some MD programs as well. Being from NY trying those state schools are the best bet for MD, plus maybe some regional private schools with medians around 511. Someone has to get in with lower than 511 for that to be the median. I think the shadowing is what really needs to increase. Those show that she knows what being a doctor is like from witnessing a variety fo specialities. The clinical work is good, but the shadowing is really important for many programs. If she can do that, her chances are not bad! Definitely continueing the volunteering will help!
Thank you so much for your reply!! The shadowing thing I completely agree with, she's trying to find more specialties to shadow as well to increase the breadth of exposure. thank you again!!