What are my chances? 3.4 cgpa 3.4 sgpa 514 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paintbucketgreen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
- 3.4 cumulative GPA, 3.4 science GPA (strong upward trend w/ mostly A's and B's freshman year; As, a lot of Bs, 3 C+ during sophomore year--my worst year; mostly As, 3 Bs, one C junior year (anomaly--hard, miscellaneous class about freshwater plant life that I regret taking); straight A's senior year in mainly upper division bio courses)
- 514 MCAT
- Human Biology major at UC Irvine
- CA state resident
- 200+ hours of hospital volunteering
- 50+ hours physician shadowing
- 1 Leadership position (president of a local/global community service chapter on campus)
- 1.5 years of research in a cancer epigenetics lab (also did the undergraduate research program where I presented research at a symposium)
- 5 solid letters of rec (human bio professor, philosophy professor, research PI, physician I shadowed, child life volunteer advisor)

~Also planning on working as a medical scribe in the summer during my gap year, but I would imagine that would go into secondary applications if I receive any. Any feedback would be appreciated, I'm pretty upset about my low GPA stats and I am very worried that it will hold me back from getting any acceptances at all. My first two years really dragged me down, i was unfortunately an unmotivated and careless student at the time with many distractions.

I'm not interested in top schools as those are completely unrealistic for me--do I have a shot at any DO schools, or maybe mid-tier or low-tier MDs?

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 6 and you should receive several interviews. For MD consider these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
NOVA MD
Kaiser, Roseman and Seton Hall (if they open for 2019)

Apply very broadly for MD schools and you should get in. You will get accepted into every DO school in the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean exactly when you say apply broadly?

Apply to your state schools, a few reaches, a few "safety schools", but focus on more schools where your MCAT/GPA are within their 25th-75th percentile [I'd recommend investing in the MSAR as it gives you MCAT/GPA percentiles for each school].

I have similar stats to you [higher MCAT, lower GPA] so feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

- 3.4 cumulative GPA, 3.4 science GPA (strong upward trend w/ mostly A's and B's freshman year; As, a lot of Bs, 3 C+ during sophomore year--my worst year; mostly As, 3 Bs, one C junior year (anomaly--hard, miscellaneous class about freshwater plant life that I regret taking); straight A's senior year in mainly upper division bio courses)
- 514 MCAT
- Human Biology major at UC Irvine
- CA state resident
- 200+ hours of hospital volunteering
- 50+ hours physician shadowing
- 1 Leadership position (president of a local/global community service chapter on campus)
- 1.5 years of research in a cancer epigenetics lab (also did the undergraduate research program where I presented research at a symposium)
- 5 solid letters of rec (human bio professor, philosophy professor, research PI, physician I shadowed, child life volunteer advisor)

~Also planning on working as a medical scribe in the summer during my gap year, but I would imagine that would go into secondary applications if I receive any. Any feedback would be appreciated, I'm pretty upset about my low GPA stats and I am very worried that it will hold me back from getting any acceptances at all. My first two years really dragged me down, i was unfortunately an unmotivated and careless student at the time with many distractions.

I'm not interested in top schools as those are completely unrealistic for me--do I have a shot at any DO schools, or maybe mid-tier or low-tier MDs?
I recommend:
Duke
U VM
Pitt
Mayo
Miami
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Tufts
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
George Washington
Georgetown
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
UCD
UCI
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with both Westerns, TUNCOM, Touro-CA, AZCOM, PacNW and BCOM

I recommend:
Duke
U VM
Pitt
Mayo
Miami
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Tufts
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
George Washington
Georgetown
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
UCD
UCI
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with both Westerns, TUNCOM, Touro-CA, AZCOM, PacNW and BCOM

What do you guys think about University of Washington? I know that schools pretty high up there but I did read that they have accepted some students with GPA as low as 3.4. Do you think if I took an extra gap year to do more research,clinical experience, and let’s say I retook my MCAT to do a little better (516/517 or so), do you think I’d have a shot there?

Or I was also thinking if I took a second gap year, that I could do a GPA booster post bacc program at CSU East Bay (which is relatively cheaper than others and may be worth it? Since I’m a CA resident) and did really well in it, like 3.8 or higher. Would that open up some more MD schools for me?

What do you guys think about University of Washington? I know that schools pretty high up there but I did read that they have accepted some students with GPA as low as 3.4. Do you think if I took an extra gap year to do more research,clinical experience, and let’s say I retook my MCAT to do a little better (516/517 or so), do you think I’d have a shot there?
Apply only if you are a resident of the WWAMI states