What are my chances and how can I improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

16mlep

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am a sophomore at a large public university in the northeast. I'd really appreciate any feedback regarding areas that I can improve to make myself competitive for top 20 schools.

My info:

male, white

cGPA: 3.97 sGPA: 4.0

Leadership: -On track to become a resident assistant
-plan on becoming a learning assistant for at at least one class.

Volunteering: -approximately 100 hrs in a hospital (with plenty of patient interaction), will likely have about 200-250 by the time I apply
- going to begin volunteering at an agency to work with the underserved in my local city, plan on getting 200-250 hours

Clinical: 10 hours directly shadowing physicians, planning on 50 by the time I apply, with 3-4 different specialites

Research: I am in a neuroscience lab, where I currently spend 1-2 hours per week. The lab focus is really interesting to me, however, I've only really done testing once or twice. Most of the time I spend looking up primary literature. Should I try to conduct independent research through this lab? (I am interested in research, but I do not necessarily plan to pursue academic medicine.)

Other: health honors society member, IM football for 2 yrs (captain), IM basketball

Am I on the right track, or are there areas to improve on? Especially regarding research, I really do not know what medical schools look for. Please Help!

Members don't see this ad.

TBH, everything looks pretty generic. That is not a bad thing, per se, but your post doesn't really tell us anything about you, so its hard to say, especially without an MCAT score. It looks like you're just checking the boxes. Do things that you're passionate about.

TBH, everything looks pretty generic. That is not a bad thing, per se, but your post doesn't really tell us anything about you, so its hard to say, especially without an MCAT score. It looks like you're just checking the boxes. Do things that you're passionate about.

Thank you for the feedback! I do enjoy the things I am doing right now, but I was indeed afraid that I sound pretty generic. I was thinking about joining an outdoors type club next semester, as I am absolutely passionate about being outside.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the feedback! I do enjoy the things I am doing right now, but I was indeed afraid that I sound pretty generic. I was thinking about joining an outdoors type club next semester, as I am absolutely passionate about being outside.

I have a friend who loves the outdoors. Because of this, they volunteer on a search-and-rescue team and have gone through a wilderness medicine program at some medical school. I think it is always best if you can tie in your ECs to things you actually enjoy doing. The boxes gotta be checked, but check them with something that shows that you're not just going through the motions. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
If you applying only MD, then make sure you include primary care physician shadowing (IM, Peds, FM, OBGYN)
If you are applying MD/PhD, then focus your shadowing on specialties that you would like to do research in...

I have a friend who loves the outdoors. Because of this, they volunteer on a search-and-rescue team and have gone through a wilderness medicine program at some medical school. I think it is always best if you can tie in your ECs to things you actually enjoy doing. The boxes gotta be checked, but check them with something that shows that you're not just going through the motions. Good luck.

That's awesome, I will definitely take that into consideration. Thanks again for the feedback!

If you applying only MD, then make sure you include primary care physician shadowing (IM, Peds, FM, OBGYN)
If you are applying MD/PhD, then focus your shadowing on specialties that you would like to do research in...

I have only shadowed ortho and EM so far, but I will absolutely shadow primary care. Thank you!

your chances are related to how well you do on your mcat, how personable you can be, and how broadly you apply