What are my chances? Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slycooper14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently decided to pursue an MD degree. I have a B.S. in molecular biochemistry (graduated with a 3.09), and a post-bac in cytogenetics (graduated with a 3.6). I also have 3+ years of experience in a clinical cytogenetics lab, and some research experience. I am currently in the process of shadowing a hem. pathologist for the next 6 months. I also have substantial extra curricular activities under my belt. However, I used the AMCAS GPA calculator, and the results were pretty bad.

Undergrad GPA: 2.55
Undergrad Science GPA:2.66

Post-bac:3.66
Post-Bac Science:3.70

"Running GPA": 2.76
"Running Science GPA":2.86

I have not taken the MCAT, but I plan to take it this coming April. If my score is in the 508-512 range, will this make me a competitive candidate? If not, is there something I can do to increase my chances? Even if I get a masters degree, the GPA really won't improve very much. I also replaced the few D's and F's I had years ago during my undergrad, so grade replacement is not much of an option. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

None if gpas are below 3.0
You're going to get autoscreened out of every med school. How does a 3.06 graduate gpa + 3.6 post bacc come out to sub 3.0 "running gpa"?

Take another year, apply grade replacement to all F,D,C coursework and apply DO schools next cycle.
If you really really really want MD do another year or two of upper div science, apply SMP, ace it, retake MCAT if its expired and then apply in 3 years.

Last edited:
Thanks Cardboard. To me, the math doesn't add up, but I followed the instructions on the Excel sheet, and that's GPA it generated. I'm trying to see if there is another source I can use.

Well part of the problem is AMCAS doesn't replace your D/Fs. They average all of your grades together and that's most likely how you ended up so low. You currently have no chance at MD even with a huge MCAT score. As cardboard said you'll be auto screened from all MD schools. Go find a GPA calculator for DO schools. You probably have a much higher GPA. I'm not sure how you will ever be able to overcome your very low GPA for MD schools but you are probably okay for DO. Of course that depends on the MCAT.