WHAT ARE MY CHANCES? Apply for Fall of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grossmed198

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying for the Fall of 2019. What are my chances?
FOR MD OR DO

Live in NY and graduated with a bachelors degree in biology with a minor in chemistry.
*cGPA- 3.67 ( out of a 4.0 scale)
*sGPA (major)- 3.71
*sGPA (minor)- 3.33
*MCAT- 494 (as of right now but still havent taken it yet so could get higher)
*Great LOR
*Currently over 200+ hours of shadowing and counting
*Work for a well-known hospital affiliated with a medical school in NY
*Great extracurriculars (was president of multiple honor societies and did 4 years of my own research)

Members don't see this ad.

Not to be rude, but currently they are zero.

Retake MCAT, 505+ for DO 510+ DO and maybe some MD.

Not to be rude, but currently they are zero.

Retake MCAT, 505+ for DO 510+ DO and maybe some MD.

Okay thank you. Besides current practice MCAT score are GPA and other credentials okay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not take the MCAT until your practice scores are consistently over 500. You could receive interviews at some DO schools with a 500. For MD schools you need 508.

I'm pretty sure AMCAS doesn't separate your minor sGPA from your major sGPA.

You might want to divert your upcoming shadowing hours to serving the needy.

Agreed with others-do not take the MCAT until you’re consistently hitting above 500, preferably 505, as scoring less than 500 will be problematic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on the nature of your hospital work, you're low on patient care hours. This is different from shadowing. Do you have any volunteer experience?

So what is your sGPA(combine major and minor) ? From what you’ve shared your ECs are weak! When are you planning to take the MCAT? Don’t take it until you are consistently scoring at or above your target score on FL tests. A 494 is not competitive. STOP shadowing right now and do something else. What exactly do you have in clinical experience(not shadowing)? How about nonclinical experience? Any service to the unserved or underserved? You need at least 150 hours in service to others(showing your altruistic side). And depending on what your clinical experience is you might need hours there too. Consider a gap year since you don’t have a MCAT score (and your practice one(s) are uncompetitive) and your ECs are questionable at best. You only want to apply one with the best possible application possible.