What are my chances as a Canadian applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueChips28

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am a Canadian applicant looking to see if I have any shot at a US MD school. I have applied DO this current year and have had 3 interviews and 2 acceptances (so far, waiting on KCU) so far. I am very grateful for the interviews and loved the schools and the philosophies of DO and would be honoured to study medicine at any of those 3 schools. I am still waiting on Michigan State and if I got into that school I would strongly favour going there. However; I recently re-did my MCAT and improved from a 504 to a 511 and would like to know if I stand a chance as a Canadian Applicant. I have applied to Canadian schools as well but I understand I would be an extreme long shot.

Stats:

3.53 cumulative, 3.59 science GPA (upward trend of 3.87 cumulative and science GPA for last 3 years --> all courses but 2.0 were science)

511 MCAT (127/127/130/127) (but retaken from a 504)

Extra Curriculars:

4 years volunteering on an emergency response team trained at EMT-B, 5000+ hours (conservative estimate - 3 shifts per week, each shift being 12 hours, for 9 months a year for 4 years, with some months having more and some have less shifts) and over 250 calls. Also leadership positions within the team.

I have shadowed both DO and MD (DO for only 10-15 hours though)

1 Week stuck in a natural disaster providing EMT and Advanced care for the area I was stuck in (which if you would like to know more I could PM)

Volunteer in 2 research Labs - one field and one wet lab (over 100 hours in each but no papers published during this time)

So whats the verdict? Should I attempt to apply next year? If I retook the MCAT again and got better would it help a lot?

Thanks for your time! :)

Edit: MCAT split and explanation for volunteering hours

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi fellow Canadian! Congratulations on that acceptance! I would personally recommend you to take that DO acceptance and run with it. Most MD schools in state (that considers Canadian) expect higher GPA/MCAT from Canadians. 3.59/511 won't move many schools out there, especially since many schools will average MCAT scores. Plus if you forsake that DO acceptance, I don't think you'll be able to receive acceptance from other DO schools in the future (I may be wrong). Risk is too great.

Hi fellow Canadian! Congratulations on that acceptance! I would personally recommend you to take that DO acceptance and run with it. Most MD schools in state (that considers Canadian) expect higher GPA/MCAT from Canadians. 3.59/511 won't move many schools out there, especially since many schools will average MCAT scores. Plus if you forsake that DO acceptance, I don't think you'll be able to receive acceptance from other DO schools in the future (I may be wrong). Risk is too great.

Thank you for your reply! I just wanted to get alternative perspectives to make sure I make an informed decision. I am very excited about my acceptances and am looking forward to osteopathic medical school. I think im leaning towards making a decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
As an international applicant your stats must(should) be stellar. Currently your GPAs are below average for US students(3.6+) as is your averaged MCAT. You shouldn’t have applied to DO if you were unsure about attending.

As an international applicant your stats must(should) be stellar. Currently your GPAs are below average for US students(3.6+) as is your averaged MCAT. You shouldn’t have applied to DO if you were unsure about attending.
Hi! Thank you for your response :)

I don’t think I said that I was unsure about DO, quite the opposite actually, I apologize if that was not clear.