DO What are my chances at DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KappaKingRamen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I'd like your opinion of my current stats and if I can get into DO school with them.

GPA: 3.53 Cgpa, 3.44 Sgpa. (upward trend)
MCAT: 493 (second try)
EC: 30 hours shadowing physician, served on a soup kitchen at a homeless shelter, participated in a leadership program where interacted with mentally challenge adults, member of many different clubs at my university such as the business club, investment club, student muslim society, pre-health, ect

My father was diagnosed with cancer during freshman year of college so it's been really stressful for me (which is why my gpa is low and why I don't have many EC). Unfortunately he wasn't able to defeat cancer... he passed away last fall. I'm currently a super senior, but will be graduating this fall.

List of potential schools
LECOM
Ohio University
Michigan State University
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
Nova Southeastern university

Feel free to recommend any other schools that you think I have a good shot at.

Members don't see this ad.

Someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but with that MCAT, your chances are not very good at all. And seeing as this is your second attempt, I'm not sure I can even recommend a retake. How long did you study and what did you use?

Someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but with that MCAT, your chances are not very good at all. And seeing as this is your second attempt, I'm not sure I can even recommend a retake. How long did you study and what did you use?

I took a kaplan course over the summer while taking a few summer classes in order to graduate this fall (was doing a minor, but had to drop it).

Members don't see this ad :)
I took a kaplan course over the summer while taking a few summer classes in order to graduate this fall (was doing a minor, but had to drop it).
with that score you're at a very high risk for failing out of med school. no DO school that I can think of would take the risk of admitting you with that score. Your best bet would be to retake it, or possibly consider podiatry, PA, nursing etc. I'm not trying to be negative here but trying to save you money from applying with your current scores.

Reactions: 1 user
What was your first MCAT? Perhaps committing to several months of focused study (without other classes) would be more beneficial to get you to above a 505. I think a lot of experts on here would recommend that if you haven't flat lined (based on your first MCAT). If you improve your MCAT significantly you might have a shot at all the new DO schools. I would start looking into Plan B options as well.

What was your first MCAT? Perhaps committing to several months of focused study (without other classes) would be more beneficial to get you to above a 505. I think a lot of experts on here would recommend that if you haven't flat lined (based on your first MCAT). If you improve your MCAT significantly you might have a shot at all the new DO schools. I would start looking into Plan B options as well.

My first mcat was a 487 but that was during the last few months before my dad passed away so it was very hard to concentrate (and a mistake to even take it). What alternatives do you recommend with my current stats?

So your MCATs are (1) 487~17 and (2) 493~21. Many schools average so for those that do your MCAT would be a490~19. I can't imagine any DO giving you a shot. Your GPAs are pretty good. You should look at plan B or figure out why you are testing so badly. If you decide to pursue Medicine you need to work on ECs too. But I think you really need to look into other careers.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you are interested in DO school you need to retake the MCAT and score at least 500. Do not retake until your practice scores are consistently over 500.

Reactions: 1 users
I went from a 493 (5/14) to a 500 (9/1). I would recommend having a free schedule, and signing up for another prep company - I used NS.

I don't used prep conpany and prep on my own. What you need to do is spend dedicate time with it. Not all ppl can take that test while in school and I think you are not one of them either. I suggested spend good quality time study and retake that MCAT. Then if your score is >=505, you are good for DO. Otherwise, you should start looking at options like podiatry.

MCAT is lethal.

With no actual patient contact experience (at least, you haven't stated that you have any), you're likely to be rejected out of hand. My own student interviewers would eat you alive.

Hi there. I'd like your opinion of my current stats and if I can get into DO school with them.

GPA: 3.53 Cgpa, 3.44 Sgpa. (upward trend)
MCAT: 493 (second try)
EC: 30 hours shadowing physician, served on a soup kitchen at a homeless shelter, participated in a leadership program where interacted with mentally challenge adults, member of many different clubs at my university such as the business club, investment club, student muslim society, pre-health, ect

My father was diagnosed with cancer during freshman year of college so it's been really stressful for me (which is why my gpa is low and why I don't have many EC). Unfortunately he wasn't able to defeat cancer... he passed away last fall. I'm currently a super senior, but will be graduating this fall.

List of potential schools
LECOM
Ohio University
Michigan State University
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
Nova Southeastern university

Feel free to recommend any other schools that you think I have a good shot at.

You have no chance with those two MCAT scores. You need to retake and get some clinical experience

Reactions: 1 user