what are my chances of getting into a do school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguin111

Reaction score
If I have a 3.12 science gpa and a 3.04 cumulative gpa with a 520 MCAT score and a high upward trend in the last 2 years of undergrad. What are my chances of getting into a D.O. school? I've done a year of research, worked as a medical scribe for half a year, did 200 hours of shadowing a physician and a pa and was involved in 6 clubs on campus.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
you'll get multiple acceptances into DO

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll get in for sure

Echo the above advice. Your MCAT is outstanding. Try MD and DO.

Without seeing your transcript, I would want to know more about your upward trend during the interview.That's a good MCAT. What you don't want to project is a sense that you are bright, but lazy. A bad combination for a med student or physician.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Without seeing your transcript, I would want to know more about your upward trend during the interview.That's a good MCAT. What you don't want to project is a sense that you are bright, but lazy. A bad combination for a med student or physician.
Honestly my first three years of undergrad I was immature, lost, didnt know what I wanted to do, had some family issues + messed up mental health, my bad grades are completely on me. In my senior year, I finally realized that I wanted to become a doctor after doing some shadowing, so I got my **** together and got straight As on all my classes. I took an extra year and graduated a year later because I had to finish some pre requisites and re-took any class I did bad in and got straight As that year too. During my last two years, I shadowed and worked at the hospital consistently and also studied for the mcat at the same time.

Last edited:
  • Care
Honestly my first three years of undergrad I was immature, lost, didnt know what I wanted to do, had some family issues + messed up mental health, my bad grades are completely on me. In my senior year, I finally realized that I wanted to become a doctor after doing some shadowing, so I got my **** together and got straight As on all my classes. I took an extra year and graduated a year later because I had to finish some pre requisites and re-took any class I did bad in and got straight As that year too. During my last two years, I shadowed and worked at the hospital consistently and also studied for the mcat at the same time.
I wasn't actually asking you to reveal the nature of your journey here, but was suggesting you be prepared to discuss when you are interviewed. If personality issues were a factor, be ready to demonstrate how you are not that person now. Also, GPA and mcat aren't the only factors. Make sure you have adequate volunteer and clinical hours too.

I wasn't actually asking you to reveal the nature of your journey here, but was suggesting you be prepared to discuss when you are interviewed. If personality issues were a factor, be ready to demonstrate how you are not that person now. Also, GPA and mcat aren't the only factors. Make sure you have adequate volunteer and clinical hours too.
For sure, thank you for the advice. I did work as a scribe for about 6-7 months. I'm not sure if that counts as clinical experience? and I also haven't done any volunteering yet.

For sure, thank you for the advice. I did work as a scribe for about 6-7 months. I'm not sure if that counts as clinical experience? and I also haven't done any volunteering yet.
Working as a scribe for a physician absolutely does count as clinical experience. In fact, it is often viewed as one of the most valuable clinical experiences that you can get as a pre-med student because of how direct and thorough your interaction with physicians is. If you do not have any voluntary experience, that definitely could definitely hurt your application. However, it does not have to necessarily be clinical.

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro has said many times students should seek volunteering opportunities with people less fortunate than yourself.