MD & DO What are my chances at MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deecee2DO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would like to know whether MD would be an option for me, as I originally was planning on DO but ended up with a higher MCAT than expected (508-128 Chemphys, 125 CARS, 127 Bio, 127 psych soc). I am a 27 year old non-trad btw. My stats are as follows:
BCPM GPA: 3.69
Post Bacc GPA: 3.89
OA GPA: 3.4
Bachelors (BA) degree in Sociology from Providence College
Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine (DC) degree

Currently employed as a practicing DC in a sports medicine group in my area-graduated magna cum laude 5th in my class from DC school. for those of you that arent familiar with the DC curriculum is 4 years and is nearly identical to DO programs ive taken every upper level science and clinical course imaginable over a 4 yr period (micro, path, bchem, anat, neuroanat, physio, ortho, neuro, rheum, pharm, clinical urology, clinical gastroenterology, clinical cardiology, clinical pulmonology, clinical rheum, clinical endocrinology, OB/gyn, physical dx, neurorad, skeletal rad, clinical derm etc to name a few)

ECs
Pre-clinical and clinical sciences tutor
Peer mentor to first year DC students
~2000 hrs clinical experience
Rounds at multidisciplinary urgent care clinic in downtown St Louis for underserved minorities
Rounds at geriatric spinal rehab clinic in st louis
~50 hrs shadowing physiatry, family medicine, internal medicine
75 hours non-clinical volunteering with school for disabled children, YMCA youth sports, soup kitchen
Great LORs from DO physiatrist, MD internist, PhD physiology professor, a DC and a practicing radiologist

My personal statement is very strong and explains my discontent with my profession and my passion to become an MD or DO since the middle of chiro school i just didnt want to quit what i had started i always finish what i start

What are some schools that may be a good fit and whether or not MD would be an option for me instead of DO

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. Where is your current state of residence as this matters for your chances for MD school?

You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. Where is your current state of residence as this matters for your chances for MD school?
Sure thanks for the reply...I am an NJ resident

Members don't see this ad :)
Would like to know whether MD would be an option for me, as I originally was planning on DO but ended up with a higher MCAT than expected (508-128 Chemphys, 125 CARS, 127 Bio, 127 psych soc). I am a 27 year old non-trad btw. My stats are as follows:
BCPM GPA: 3.69
Post Bacc GPA: 3.89
OA GPA: 3.4
Bachelors (BA) degree in Sociology from Providence College
Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine (DC) degree

Currently employed as a practicing DC in a sports medicine group in my area-graduated magna cum laude 5th in my class from DC school. for those of you that arent familiar with the DC curriculum is 4 years and is nearly identical to DO programs ive taken every upper level science and clinical course imaginable over a 4 yr period (micro, path, bchem, anat, neuroanat, physio, ortho, neuro, rheum, pharm, clinical urology, clinical gastroenterology, clinical cardiology, clinical pulmonology, clinical rheum, clinical endocrinology, OB/gyn, physical dx, neurorad, skeletal rad, clinical derm etc to name a few)

ECs
Pre-clinical and clinical sciences tutor
Peer mentor to first year DC students
~2000 hrs clinical experience
Rounds at multidisciplinary urgent care clinic in downtown St Louis for underserved minorities
Rounds at geriatric spinal rehab clinic in st louis
~50 hrs shadowing physiatry, family medicine, internal medicine
75 hours non-clinical volunteering with school for disabled children, YMCA youth sports, soup kitchen
Great LORs from DO physiatrist, MD internist, PhD physiology professor, a DC and a practicing radiologist

My personal statement is very strong and explains my discontent with my profession and my passion to become an MD or DO since the middle of chiro school i just didnt want to quit what i had started i always finish what i start

What are some schools that may be a good fit and whether or not MD would be an option for me instead of DO

I can't think of any DO school that wouldn't interview you and I believe most MD schools would consider you as well, especially if you apply early!

Reactions: 1 user
Sure thanks for the reply...I am an NJ resident
Apply to your 3 NJ state schools since those are where your chances are highest. Seton Hall may also open for 2018. Other MD schools where you could receive an interview with your stats include:
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Albany
New York Medical College
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Brown is also worth trying with your Providence connections.

Apply to your 3 NJ state schools since those are where your chances are highest. Seton Hall may also open for 2018. Other MD schools where you could receive an interview with your stats include:
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Albany
New York Medical College
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Brown is also worth trying with your Providence connections.
I would also add Maryland, Hofstra, and Sinai

Awesome thanks so much guys for the input i must clarfy though that my 3.89 is my gpa in the pre-req requirements required by all medical schools (my premed gpa so orgo 1&2 physics 1&2 chems 1&2 bios 1&2). i didnt do a post bacc program. and my bcpm is still a 3.69 which was based on amcas calculation and encompasses every science course ive ever taken. my grad gpa is a 3.7 as well. clarifying this might change my school lists to possibly less competitive? idk

Last edited:
NOT with a 508 MCAT score.
Yeah I agree especially Sinai. No way. Goro do you agree with the list that Faha provided? Georgetown Tulane and Brown with a 508? Georgetown's avg MCAT for matriculants was a 510 last year i think

Last edited:
With a 508, I suggest:

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
WVU
Jefferson
Tulane
Loyola
U Miami
Wake Forest
VCU
Netter
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, LUCOM or Wm Carey, for different reasons
Your state school(s).

With a 508, I suggest:

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
WVU
Jefferson
Tulane
Loyola
U Miami
Wake Forest
VCU
Netter
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, LUCOM or Wm Carey, for different reasons
Your state school(s).

Thanks again Goro, but i have another question. I do not have any research experience. I literally have zero hours in research. Will this be a problem for me when applying to the MD programs you have listed.

No. It's the top schools that are more anal about research.
Would Brown consider me? Or would I need research and higher MCAT? They are supposedly more holistic, but just would like to know your opinion if I would have a shot and if not what I would need to do to have shot. Someone told me attending Providence College for undergrad might help, but not sure if that is true. I've always dreamed of attending Brown, but never thought it was within my reach. I also heard they really like non-trad applicants that have life experience and unique backgrounds.

Last edited:
I normally don't recommend Brown because they highly favor their own students. But you're in striking distance.

Would Brown consider me? Or would I need research and higher MCAT? They are supposedly more holistic, but just would like to know your opinion if I would have a shot and if not what I would need to do to have shot. Someone told me attending Providence College for undergrad might help, but not sure if that is true. I've always dreamed of attending Brown, but never thought it was within my reach. I also heard they really like non-trad applicants that have life experience and unique backgrounds.

Brown now accepts approximately 85 students per year through AMCAS and they do prefer non-trad applicants. The other 60 students per class are mainly through a special program that is predominately Brown undergraduate premeds.

Brown now accepts approximately 85 students per year through AMCAS and they do prefer non-trad applicants. The other 60 students per class are mainly through a special program that is predominately Brown undergraduate premeds.
Hey sorry @Faha to bother again but could I add Penn State to my list?

Last edited:

Brown might find the DC interesting. You could throw your hat in.

Is any of your volunteer/clinical experience in RI? That would help.

Brown might find the DC interesting. You could throw your hat in.

Is any of your volunteer/clinical experience in RI? That would help.
Hey thanks @BurghStudent for the reply! No none of my ECs were done in RI or providence. I did however attend Providence College for undergrad. I also attended a summer educational program my junior year of high school at Brown called Summer@Brown (high school doesn't matter I know haha) where they offer college level courses to high school students interested in preparing themselves for undergrad, but since it was in high school again i doubt that means anything haha (it was so long ago-2006). I lived at Brown for 3 months and absolutely fell in love with the city and the campus, but ended up at Providence since my grades and ACTs were not Brown caliber in high school (only had like a 3.5 although at one of NJs top prep schools was still not good enough).

Last edited: