Medical What are my chances at medical school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am applying to medical school next cycle, and I am worried about my chances. I attended a top 10 school in the US for undergrad, graduating in 3 years with a 3.7. I graduated 1 year early because I was diagnosed with stage 3 Hodgkin's lymphoma, and was exhausted by the end of it– not only physically, but also mentally/emotionally. I have been in remission for 2 years now!

In regards to other aspects of my application...I have over 8 years of research experience and some unique-ish ec's. Since undergrad, I have also completed a master's degree in computational biology with a 4.0 from an ivy league school. My mcat score is a 518.

I am worried bc I am applying as an ORM with some not-so-good grades, medical withdrawals, and incompletes. Please let me know your thoughts.
There isn't enough information for us here to get a full picture of your ECs, but at face value you seem like a strong applicant based on your stats. You'll presumably have a strong personal statement. Individual grades are not a huge deal when overall you got a 3.7. Your medical withdrawals and incompletes will be meaningless when you say "I got cancer."

Nobody can give you a guarantee that you'll be accepted, but unless there is a complete lack of clinically-related ECs that you're not telling us about it seems to me like you're overly focused on a few perceived negatives in your application. Apply broadly, and you seem very likely to be accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you very much for your insight. I do have some clinical experience. I have written my personal statement, but I did not mention my struggle with cancer in it. Would you suggest that I do that? I don't want it to be a focus of my application, but I do recognize that it is important to mention.
You should absolutely mention it.

You should absolutely mention it.
Yes, I completely agree.

I can imagine why you might not want to talk about it, but honestly it'll put you into the handful of personal statements that are actually memorable. It explains the medical withdrawals. And honestly, it makes the rest of your academic achievements even more remarkable. There just isn't any reason not to do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
At some point, you should mention it. It does not need to be in your personal statement, but at some point you will be asked about challenges you have had to overcome. Be ready with an answer either in written or oral format (likely both).

Status
Not open for further replies.