What are my chances at these schools?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gdent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
DAT

Bio: 21
Chem: 25
Ochem:23
Math: 18
RC: 16
PAT: 20
TS: 22
AA: 21

OGpa: 3.48
SGpa: 3.40

Shadowed/Volunteered over 800 hours, Hospital volunteer ~300 hours, President of music club, philanthropy committee leader, director of non-profit corp, piano, dance, dental research etc..Im a cali resident..

Schools:
UCLA, UCSF, Western, NYU, Columbia, USC, Creighton, Michigan, Lecom, roseman, Midwestern Illinois, Pittsburgh, UPENN, Virginia Commonwealth University, Midwestern Arizona, loma linda

Should I add/ delete any schools? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You're golden for most schools. Get your app in early and prepare for interviews! I will say that your chances for UCLA, UCSF, and UPENN are on the lower end, however. But it depends on whether you're from cali, what undergrad you went to (really easy or really challenging), your personal statement, interviews, etc. You should be set though, IMO!

EDIT: Woops, I didn't see your RC score. That might be an issue... make sure to call up all the schools that you plan on applying to and see what their cut-offs are. I think 16 is the lowest.

Can I ask why you did not do so well in RC? Just wondering!

Thanks for your feedback. I just confused the strategies i was going to use for the RC section. I called some of schools and most of them said they will check my english grades (which are both A's), then decide whether to invite me for an interview or not.

Any one else??

Members don't see this ad :)
Great scores!! But I hate to say this, an RC 16 or less can be the sole reason for a rejection from the majority of schools. Regardless, as long as you called some schools and got that info, continue to apply and apply as early as you can. If need be, you can still retake.

I realize it's not the purpose of this thread, but you should consider retaking the DAT because of that 16 RC score. I believe it will hurt your chances of admission considerably. I believe schools put a lot of emphasis on that section of the test. They want to see that you can handle a lot of information and gather the key points quickly, as you will need to be able to do that well in dental school. Regardless, best of luck with your applications no matter what you decide.:thumbup:

Thanks for all your feedback. I took the DAT in september and spent 3 months studying for it..As of right now I dont have any time to put in the study time due to work...Im going to apply with these scores and if I dont get interview invites by the end of the year, i will take some time off work to re-take.

You'll get in to a school with those scores. However, you won't get in to top schools (Penn, UCSF, UCLA, Columbia) with a 16 RC. RC is highly correlated with didactic success in dental school, and is therefore one of the most important sections of the DAT to at least score competently (18+) in . Conversely, the 18 in math means nothing and doesn't warrant a retake.

Don't retake your DAT. You are fine.

Like BU2012 said, you chances at Penn, UCSF etc. are slim. Also, LLU is very strict on the RC score. I spoke to their admission. They love RC.

I would add more school to the list: Arizona, Case, Temple etc... schools that accept a lot of OOS

Thanks a lot guys! Hopefully Ill get into one of them. My goal is to stay in cali.

You'll get in to a school with those scores. However, you won't get in to top schools (Penn, UCSF, UCLA, Columbia) with a 16 RC. RC is highly correlated with didactic success in dental school, and is therefore one of the most important sections of the DAT to at least score competently (18+) in . Conversely, the 18 in math means nothing and doesn't warrant a retake.

Source? The only thing I read about correlation between DAT and Dental school showed minimal correlations between success in DS and the DAT. If I remember right, the strongest section was TS and Science GPA was the best correlation. Curious is all.