what are my chances? Average student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txdoc2b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi , I am an MS III and very interested in anesthesia. The only problem is that all the sudden I keep hearing that it is now VERY competitive, our dean said equal with radiology. For some reason, I always thought of radiology as way more competitive than anesthesia. Anyways, that really worried and discouraged me- so I just wanted to get an opinion from some of the 4th years who matched or maybe some of the PGY1 or 2...

My step i score is 220which is just above average, my grades are mostly HP's, and more P's than H's. My clinical evaluations so far from 3rd year are all pretty good and above average. Also, I did a preceptorship in my anesthesia dept. after 1st year, so they are already aware of me in the dept. and know I am interested.

So what do yall think? I don't want to get into a "top program" and really want to stay in TX. I think I am an example of a very "average"student, but with a good personality to hopefully bump my chances.:horns:

Members don't see this ad.

Anesthesia is competitve, but nowhere near radiology. Look at the unfilled spots on scutwork. With a 220 you are in pretty good shape. Doing well on step 2 wouldn't hurt you. Don't worry about it though, work hard and it will work out.

i beg to differ with the above post...yes in general anesthesia is a bit less competitive than radiology but if you are looking to match in NYC, Chicago and LA/southern cal, anesthesia at these places is just as competitive now

People applying now have 90%ile + on their boards with AOA so i wouldnt discount the competitiveness at this point

Members don't see this ad :)
you have nothing to worry about with a 220
i am a US grad from an avg med school
i was a below avg med student at my school and scored significantly below average on step 1 with no step 2
had average LOR
did no away rotations
i applied kindo of late to a broad range of programs about 35
i got interview offers at about half of them
i matched at NYU my first choice--granted my program didn't fill this year, but
i got three interviews in chicago
5 in the new york area
( you can see my previous posts to see exactly which programs i got interviews at and what my rank list looked like)
and the others were in the midwest (including wash u and MCW)
i have to respectfully disagree with the notion that anesthesia is as compettive as rads
just from your board score alone ( barring any unusual negative mark on your record) i predict you will get interviews at least a few of the "top ten" programs and be able to match in a desired location such as chi/ nyc or even cali
many of the people who post on this website are top students
who i am glad to have as collegues in my field--kudos and congrats to them
i dont think the avg. person who posts on this website represents the avg. student out there for anesthesia
good luck. take care
and mad love to all future, past and present anesthesiologists

texdoc- I will be a CA-1 at Baylor in July. With your score, you should be able to get any spot in Texas if you have good interviews (that includes UT-SW, UT-SA, Baylor, UTMB etc...).

Don't worry. You will be fine. You will be able to get a spot.

i agree that you should be ok with your scores..you would also be ok for radiology
not every radio program needs a 220 above to get interviews either

my point was that dont discount the competitiveness and do everything to have the odds in your favor

Relax, you're in very good shape. I had very similar scores and matched at Penn. If you do some research, get good letters, you should have no problem.... just don't apply to Texas only. It's a bit of a crap shoot which programs will like you.... so apply to as many as you are willing to attend. Good luck!