What are my chances? (Canadian Applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lunchbox16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen who went to York University in Toronto. I am considering applying to NYU and other schools in New York. Unfortunately, due to my husband's career, New York and Toronto are the only cities where we can live, so I cannot apply to less selective schools in worse locations. However, I have some problems with my academic record and so I am hoping that someone can advise me on whether I have a chance at NYU or possibly other New York schools such as Einstein.

Undergrad GPA Year 1: 2.86
Year 2: 3.98
3: 3.98
4:3.98

Grad GPA (master's):3.96
MCAT: 9 P/12 V/10B

I have one article submitted for publication, several major graduate scholarships and about 350 hours of volunteer work. However, I do not know if it is worth applying because of my low MCAT and my low first year GPA. The only physics and chemistry courses I took were in first year and I did very, very poorly (ie. around 50-60%).

What does everyone think? Should I save my money and not apply?

Members don't see this ad.

They only care about your cumulative and science GPA in the US, you should calculate those for the best advice, but it will probably still be good enough for American schools. From your MCAT though NYU as a Canadian applicant doesn't seem possible. Maybe Einstein as a reach? Generally you want to be applying only to schools where your MCAT is at or above the median, listed on the MSAR. There aren't too many places where that would be the case for you unfortunately.

Can you really not apply anywhere in Ontario outside of UofT? I get that you have some restrictions in your life, but med school isn't something that you can easily pursue when you're handcuffed like that, even without that first year GPA. If you could expand your choices a little bit you could use that great VR score to your advantage (Mac!). Without that, I'd say retake the MCAT and pray to whatever God you believe in, because I don't love your chances when only applying to a couple schools.

Your MCAT is at or below the 10th% for matriculants at: Sinai (33), Columbia (32), and Cornell (31). Considering that these schools only matriculated 4, 5, and 4 regular internationals last year, odds for these schools seem vanishingly small.

For the NY schools where you are above 10th%: Einstein, NY Med, SUNY Upstate and Stony Brook, you must realize that they each matriculated only 3 internationals except for SUNY Upstate that added 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your replies. I am really not sure about my science GPA, the majority of my courses after first year were physiology and anatomy, but since they were from the Kinesiology department and not the Biology department I assume that they do not count as science courses?

I am applying to the University of Toronto, McMaster, Queens and Western. However, I was hoping that I could apply to some New York schools to increase my chances of getting in this year.

Oh okay, I thought you meant exclusively Toronto. Yeah unfortunately with that MCAT US MD schools aren't the best way to increase your chances, but you could try at the schools gyngyn mentioned. Also unless you're from a SWOMEN town, that MCAT will also put you out of the running for Western.

Have you taken the right prerequisites?

2 English
2 Calculus
2 Physics + Lab
2 Inorganic Chem + Lab
2 Organic Chem + Lab
2 Biology + Lab
1 Biochemistry

Generally, most schools will want some combination of these courses. Einstein/NYU does not require course prereqs, but they are the exception.

Do you have clinical experience? Volunteering?
Your cGPA is 3.7, which seems low. Your MCAT is 31 which is also on the low side for NY because you are an international applicant.

Why don't you try in Canada?

Hi,
Yes, I have all of the prerequisites. I have about 200 hours of hospital emergency room volunteering and 100 hours of volunteering in a family office. I also have about 50 hours of various other volunteer work.

I am applying to the few Canadian medical schools that are around Toronto.