What are my chances-chronic disease edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chronicdeseasegirl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So folks here are my stats:
Public health major
Bio, chem minors
3.5 gpa, 3.2 science Gpa
499 mcat
200hrs of research
250 hrs of patient care
The twist? Chronic disease
Poorly managed Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis lead to extreme fatigue freshman year of college (my TSH reflex was 18!), being on too much synthroid caused me to have extreme anxiety, panic attacks, and crippling night sweats (TSH reflex of .2 at this point). Extreme genetic rosacea causes vasodilation in my face and vasoconstriction in my hands and feet (aka vasomotorinstability). Currently extreme vitamin D deficiency due to Hashimoto’s makes my bones ache and me fatigued (serum vit D of 16 rn ppl). So keeping my grades up has been a struggle, but my MCAT is a whole story. I studied over 500 hrs and 12 practice tests, my final AAMC the week of the exam predicted 508. The twist when I got to the exam my finger wouldn’t scan (due to barely any electrical conductance due to what I described above and stress) and the workers almost didn’t let me take my MCAT. By the time I started I was so stressed I couldn’t comprehend what I was reading. At lunch however new staff came in and they said no fingerprint didn’t matter. My scores are broken down accordingly:
Chem phys: 122
CARS: 123
Biochem: 126
Psyche: 128
Had this glitch that happened due to my stupid chronic diseases never happened my score could be between 501 and 508. Will Med schools believe me? Do I have to have them feel my ice hands and look at my TSH to get in? As you can tell I’m passionate about chronic diseases and want to help others manage them! Help me and my bizarre health history!

Members don't see this ad.

Public health major
Bio, chem minors
3.5 gpa, 3.2 science Gpa
499 mcat
200hrs of research
250 hrs of patient care
Poorly managed Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis lead to extreme fatigue freshman year of college (my TSH reflex was 18!), being on too much synthroid caused me to have extreme anxiety, panic attacks, and crippling night sweats (TSH reflex of .2 at this point). Extreme genetic rosacea causes vasodilation in my face and vasoconstriction in my hands and feet (aka vasomotorinstability). Currently extreme vitamin D deficiency due to Hashimoto’s makes my bones ache and me fatigued (serum vit D of 16 rn ppl). So keeping my grades up has been a struggle, but my MCAT is a whole story. I studied over 500 hrs and 12 practice tests, my final AAMC the week of the exam predicted 508. The twist when I got to the exam my finger wouldn’t scan (due to barely any electrical conductance due to what I described above and stress) and the workers almost didn’t let me take my MCAT. By the time I started I was so stressed I couldn’t comprehend what I was reading. At lunch however new staff came in and they said no fingerprint didn’t matter. My scores are broken down accordingly:
Had this glitch that happened due to my stupid chronic diseases never happened my score could be between 501 and 508. Will Med schools believe me? Do I have to have them feel my ice hands and look at my TSH to get in? As you can tell I’m passionate about chronic diseases and want to help others manage them! Help me and my bizarre health history!

It might be helpful if you had state of residence, MD/DO preference, a preliminary list of schools you were considering, etc, which can help give some guiding information to people who have more insight into people's chances.

On a tangentially related note that doesn't really address your chances question, based on what you said, I just want to be honest and caution you from crafting a narrative that comes across like you're using chronic diseases as an excuse. I can guarantee (something I rarely do on here), for example, that the MCAT story will not come across well to most adcoms (not to diminish the issues you've had to deal with, but just having heard my fair share of adcom discussions). However, this isn't to say acknowledging the challenges is bad. With that in mind, I think one of the last things you said - that you're passionate about chronic disease and can really empathize with patients in a primary care setting - is a great route to go, does come through, and would help you highlight your unique perspective. You'll get the challenges you've faced across to an adcom while showing how it's only ultimately strengthened you as a person.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Public health major
Bio, chem minors
3.5 gpa, 3.2 science Gpa
499 mcat
200hrs of research
250 hrs of patient care
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

As of right now, I can't recommend med school with those stats, except, perhaps, the newest DO schools.

Why didn’t you just void your exam? If you couldn’t comprehend what you were reading then there’s no way you should’ve asked for your MCAT to be scored. A theoretical score pretty much has no meaning, anybody can come up with one. When adcoms look at your score, they’re not going to wonder what you could have gotten, they’re going to judge you on the score hat you actually got.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't imagine using Hashimoto's Thyroiditis as an explanation for a poor MCAT score. Plenty of people can manage their Hashimoto's fine (myself included) in addition to other things that may come up. I agree with @LOLERs that after a stressful morning like that you probably should've voided your exam

Reactions: 1 user