What are my chances? DO or MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Randolf123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you apply broadly I believe you will get in. Apply pretty much exclusively DO. When do you apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply broadly to all state MD schools except UM, and then 10-15 DO schools (including MSUCOM). You have a pretty unique EC with starting your own business that has won awards. You might just draw some state MD interest with that.

Edit: I've given it some more thought and think you should also apply to maybe 5 or more low tier MD schools in addition to your state schools. so maybe like 25 total schools with ~15 DO and ~10 MD including state schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Apply broadly to all state MD schools except UM, and then 10-15 DO schools (including MSUCOM). You have a pretty unique EC with starting your own business that has won awards. You might just draw some state MD interest with that.

Edit: I've given it some more thought and think you should also apply to maybe 5 or more low tier MD schools in addition to your state schools. so maybe like 25 total schools with ~15 DO and ~10 MD including state schools.
Given this take, OP, try SLU, U Toledo, maybe NEOMED, Drexel, Albany, Rush, Creighton, Gtown, Tulane...but I'm not sanguine.
I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Reactions: 2 users
I highly suggest you retake the MCAT. With a better MCAT score you can go to a very strong MD school, even UMichigan and other top schools if it is good enough. You should not be applying DO unless you again do poorly on the MCAT.

I highly suggest you retake the MCAT. With a better MCAT score you can go to a very strong MD school, even UMichigan and other top schools if it is good enough. You should not be applying DO unless you again do poorly on the MCAT.
The above advice is so bad it's malicious. OP, research his posts and you'll see why.

To other SDNers, retaking the MCAT always comes with risk, and the most common outcome is staying the same, merely going up a point or two or even going down. The 10+ point rise that would make the OP viable for his/her state schools is uncommon. Not saying it doesn't happen, but AMCAS advises scores be averaged, because that's the most accurate assessment of people abilities in med school.

OP, you're viable right now for DO schools...do you wish to lose a clinician's year of salary?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
The above advice is so bad it's malicious. OP, research his posts and you'll see why.

To other SDNers, retaking the MCAT always comes with risk, and the most common outcome is staying the same, merely going up a point or two or even going down. The 10+ point rise that would make the OP viable for his/her state schools is uncommon. Not saying it doesn't happen, but AMCAS advises scores be averaged, because that's the most accurate assessment of people abilities in med school.

OP, you're viable right now for DO schools...do you wish to lose a clinician's year of salary?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Realize your 501 is a little low for my school. Our avg Mcat is higher. That said, your are not far off. I think you have received sound advise and are going in the right direction. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 user
Realize your 501 is a little low for my school. Our avg Mcat is higher. That said, your are not far off. I think you have received sound advise and are going in the right direction. Good luck and best wishes!

Thank you! If you don't mind me asking, which medical school did you attend?

Last edited:
I strangely agree. Might not hurt to retake the MCAT. People talk at this year of losing salary but MD schools can open more doors to higher end specialties which may make up for that year of lost salary. It’s up to you.

You don't even know what you are saying anymore, and have to become emotional. Maybe it is time to retire.

You don't need a 10 point increase to be viable for several of the Michigan state schools. The guy said in his original post that he is applying the upcoming cycle, which meant that he has many months before applying. Better to figure out why his MCAT was bad, retake and do better, and make yourself a stronger applicant. Several of my friends did so, and instead of attending DO schools, they are at lower mid-tier MD schools.

After shadowing ortho, plastics, and neurosurgery, OP should also realize these doors are essentially closed and are very hard to re-open as a DO, just in case he was interested in these fields. With a better MCAT, the OP's application will be very impressive for numerous MD schools. If OP wants to apply now, then unfortunately the MCAT is a limitation.

Last edited:
You don't even know what you are saying anymore, and have to become emotional. Maybe it is time to retire.

You don't need a 10 point increase to be viable for several of the Michigan state schools. The guy said in his original post that he is applying the upcoming cycle, which meant that he has many months before applying. Better to figure out why his MCAT was bad, retake and do better, and make yourself a stronger applicant. Several of my friends did so, and instead of attending DO schools, they are at lower mid-tier MD schools.

After shadowing ortho, plastics, and neurosurgery, OP should also realize these doors are essentially closed and are very hard to re-open as a DO, just in case he was interested in these fields. With a better MCAT, the OP's application will be very impressive for numerous MD schools. If OP wants to apply now, then unfortunately the MCAT is a limitation.
cmon sab, you can't be calling people out about being emotional in responses when you literally just told an ADCOM to retire because you don't agree with him.

There are plenty of reasons why OP would want this cycle and not wait for another round of MCAT and would have to take longer to study for it. Maybe he/she isn't into the golden specialties you love so much. Maybe he/she is a non-trad, in which case it makes perfect sense to want to get in now and worry about it later. Obviously a retaken MCAT could work wonders, and being in an MD would be beneficial to keep doors open, but a same score or somehow lower could be a death sentence. The midwest is open to more DOs, so it wouldn't close EVERY door.

OP do your research, and if you can fit in an improved retake do it, but if you're fine with not doing some of the most competitive specialties you'd be fine DO, but try to limit to the more established ones. The average MCAT is an average and you have some unique ECs to maybe make up for it at some schools, especially being in MI. Follow AnatomyGrey12 s advice and I feel like you should end up alright. Good luck

Reactions: 2 users

Done arguing with you sab. I hope that you can eventually come to peace with your career decision.

Applying Ignore function now...you'll feel a slight tingling sensation as those cranial bones move.

Done arguing with you sab. I hope that you can eventually come to peace with your career decision.

Applying Ignore function now...you'll feel a slight tingling sensation as those cranial bones move.

So emotional over advice to retake MCAT for a person saying he was applying next cycle. Good luck.

if you can fit in an improved retake do it

Basically exactly what I said... OP said he wanted to apply upcoming cycle, which gives plenty of time for some studying and a retake.