What are my Chances? DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blizzard9

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short here..
I applied this past application with this original MCAT. Had 1 interview, but ultimately pulled my application because I wasn't sure if I would be happy at the school being so far away from family.

CGPA: 3.41
SGPA: 3.31

First MCAT: 4/28/2017: C/P - 124, CARS - 125, B/B - 122, P/S - 127
Second MCAT: 1/25/2018: C/P - 126, CARS - 123( :((( ) , B/B - 125, P/S - 127

EC's:
Roughly 2000 hours as a medical scribe
400 hours ER tech
150 hours cardiopulmonary rehab intern
200 hours volunteering in the ER
scattered leadership positions through undergrad

Good LOR's (I was told this in my one interview)

I honestly am very burnt out over the MCAT after having studied for 10 months to get two OK scores. I really don't want to retake at this point. Just wondering if it's worth applying this upcoming cycle. Currently have SC residency, but my parents live in NJ and I believe I am moving back there in the next few months.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrawing your app last cycle without even attending the interview was a bad move. That could have been your only chance to get in to medical school, especially considering how fierce the competition is getting each year. If you really want to become a doctor you have to make sacrifices, and sometimes that means being away from family. Sorry to be so blunt but that is the reality of the situation, and believe me I know how important family is. I am currently attending medical school hundreds of miles away from my family and some days it sucks.

Now if you re-apply, you will obviously be marked as a re-applicant and that is not a good thing. That school that offered you an interview last year is sure as hell not doing it again. You still have a chance to get in but the chances are not on your side that it will be at the school that you want. I think your MCAT is your biggest limiting factor and if you don't want to re-take it than you will have to apply broadly. Some the newer schools with lower admissions standards might give you a chance. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Long story short here..
I applied this past application with this original MCAT. Had 1 interview, but ultimately pulled my application because I wasn't sure if I would be happy at the school being so far away from family.

CGPA: 3.41
SGPA: 3.31

First MCAT: 4/28/2017: C/P - 124, CARS - 125, B/B - 122, P/S - 127
Second MCAT: 1/25/2018: C/P - 126, CARS - 123( :((( ) , B/B - 125, P/S - 127

EC's:
Roughly 2000 hours as a medical scribe
400 hours ER tech
150 hours cardiopulmonary rehab intern
200 hours volunteering in the ER
scattered leadership positions through undergrad

Good LOR's (I was told this in my one interview)

I honestly am very burnt out over the MCAT after having studied for 10 months to get two OK scores. I really don't want to retake at this point. Just wondering if it's worth applying this upcoming cycle. Currently have SC residency, but my parents live in NJ and I believe I am moving back there in the next few months.

Thanks in advance.
I can't recommend retaking the MCAT because you seem to have plateaued and I don't think that you'll magically improve, UNLESS you have test taking anxiety issues. Those can be fixed.

Anyway, if you apply broadly, and especially target the newest schools, you should have some luck. Skip Nova, LUCOM, the coastal Touros, AZCOM, CCOM and KCU.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't recommend retaking the MCAT because you seem to have plateaued and I don't think that you'll magically improve, UNLESS you have test taking anxiety issues. Those can be fixed.

Anyway, if you apply broadly, and especially target the newest schools, you should have some luck. Skip Nova, LUCOM, the coastal Touros, AZCOM, CCOM and KCU.
Can I ask why skip those? Some of them have close to 300 class - and IMHO are best chance for OP to get into DO school. New ones (especially smaller ones) have higher chance of rejecting him - simply due to more scrutiny. You will be more scrutinized in a school where they are accepting only 60 people as compared to 300.

Can I ask why skip those? Some of them have close to 300 class - and IMHO are best chance for OP to get into DO school. New ones (especially smaller ones) have higher chance of rejecting him - simply due to more scrutiny. You will be more scrutinized in a school where they are accepting only 60 people as compared to 300.
Do a search as to why.

Do a search as to why.
I'm accepted to one of those schools and I had same stats as OP. Was rejected from a new school - size of class matters - that's all I'm saying and of coruse this is all just my experience

Reactions: 1 users
I'm accepted to one of those schools and I had same stats as OP. Was rejected from a new school - size of class matters - that's all I'm saying and of coruse this is all just my experience

Were you accepted to LUCOM by any chance? Historically, LUCOM's first year attrition rate has been unacceptable. There are some other major quirks that should be looked into (you can look this up yourself, multiple postings on it). For Nova, their last pass rate was in the mid-to-high 80’s (unacceptable, especially for an established school). AZCOM, CCOM, coastal Touros and KCU likely won’t consider his MCAT. In fact, AZCOM and CCOM will simply waitlist him for an interview initially by default with his MCAT (<507-508), subjecting him to compete with a select few with similar or better stats much later in the cycle.

Reactions: 1 user