What are my chances/Help with DO list for 2020 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coffeeaddict3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im new to sdn but Ive heard great things about this website from a friend. It would be great if I could get some insight on my schools list as well as my odds for getting accepted at a DO school! People have told me I shot myself in the foot because of my mcat retakes but I just don't want to give up before even applying! Any input would be great, Thanks guys

NY resident
cGPA: 3.67
SGPA:3.5
MCAT: 499->502(very unbalanced)->505 (125,126,128,126)
Research- 2 pub, clinical and non clinical volunteering and shadowing ~1000hrs. I am currently trying to get DO shadowing and hopefully get a LOR.

Btw I'm also an asian

My current list:
ACOM
ArCOM
BCOM
LECOM (both campus)
NYIT- ny campus
WVSOM
VCOM
UNECOM
PCOM
Rowansom
ICOM ( im not sure about this one, do they accept alot of oos?)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @Coffeeaddict3, even though you took the MCAT 3 times (505 is good!), your stats look fine so I wouldn't be super worried. If you could shadow a DO and receive an LOR, it would give you an extra boost. Also, consider adding MU-COM, LMU-DCOM, and KY-COM to your list. You have plenty of time to add other minor details to your application before the cycle as well, and be sure to stick around SDN, we're glad you made it!

Last edited:
Hi @Coffeeaddict3, even though you took the MCAT 3 times (505 is good!), your stats look fine so I wouldn't be super worried. If you could shadow a DO and receive an LOR, it would give you an extra boost. Also, consider adding MU-COM, LMU-DCOM, and KY-COM to your list. You have plenty of time to add other minor details to your application before the cycle as well, and be sure to stick around SDN, we're glad you made it!
Thank you for the suggestions! Ill definitely be adding them to my list as well. As for the DO shadowing, im currently volunteering at a hospital and hoping to stalk/find a DO to agree to let me follow him around, does that seem like a viable method? Or would they not like being randomly approached? Should i email first?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the suggestions! Ill definitely be adding them to my list as well. As for the DO shadowing, im currently volunteering at a hospital and hoping to stalk/find a DO to agree to let me follow him around, does that seem like a viable method? Or would they not like being randomly approached? Should i email first?

No problem at all, and if you ever want someone to look over your personal statement, feel free to pm me down the road! I currently read over them for this cycle, and I plan to volunteer again next cycle for future applicants. As for shadowing, I think both methods are viable to be honest, and I was fortunate enough to shadow a physician I approached while they weren't busy with patients in the ED. So it definitely works! I wouldn't go around approaching every DO you see but give it a shot as long as your professional about it, and they should understand what you're trying to achieve. If neither of those methods work out, you could personally try to visit some clinics and tell them you are a future applicant for osteopathic medical schools and you are wanting to shadow them (this is what I had done actually for the DO physician I shadowed).

Not sure about ICOM to be honest, why are you interested in that one?

I don't think your list is bad but you probably need to apply to more schools. I'd apply to 15+ to be safe. The above poster is right you should round out your app with a DO LOR. It would add a lot of credence to your motivation for pursuing DO.

Apply early and I think you have a good chance. Again, I'd make your list bigger. Good luck.

No problem at all, and if you ever want someone to look over your personal statement, feel free to pm me down the road! I currently read over them for this cycle, and I plan to volunteer again next cycle for future applicants. As for shadowing, I think both methods are viable to be honest, and I was fortunate enough to shadow a physician I approached while they weren't busy with patients in the ED. So it definitely works! I wouldn't go around approaching every DO you see but give it a shot as long as your professional about it, and they should understand what you're trying to achieve. If neither of those methods work out, you could personally try to visit some clinics and tell them you are a future applicant for osteopathic medical schools and you are wanting to shadow them (this is what I had done actually for the DO physician I shadowed).

That sounds great, will definitely reach out in the future. Cant say no to a second pair of eyes :) Thank you so much. Wish me luck with finding a DO, fingers crossed!

I don't think your list is bad but you probably need to apply to more schools. I'd apply to 15+ to be safe. The above poster is right you should round out your app with a DO LOR. It would add a lot of credence to your motivation for pursuing DO.

Apply early and I think you have a good chance. Again, I'd make your list bigger. Good luck.

My

My fiancé's family lives in idaho and from the times that i have visited, i really liked the people and place but I believe icom has a bias for Midwest states so I dont know if I have strong enough ties