Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

MD & DO What are my Chances Fall 2016?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Yosef12, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Yosef12

Pre-Medical
    3.4 S-GPA
    3.45 C-GPA

485 MCAT

Over 200 hours of volunteering @ a level 1 trauma center ER.

170 Hours of shadowing a pulmonologist

Tutored for several years at a community college where I obtained a associates of science.

Finishing a Bachelors of Zoology at a university

Currently I feel rather embarassed and disappointed by my very low mcat score. I took a kaplan course and it practically did nothing for me. My Kaplan score was a 481. My biggest issue I believe is that I never had a biochemistry class. I am trying to figure out a date currently to retake the mcat, but I feel like I won't do much better considering I went through a month of studies and a kaplan course yet I still did poorly. When I reviewed for the test as well it felt as if I completely forgot some of the basic sciences such as general chemistry. Organic I seemed to know very well and of course your general biology. When the new MCAT came out I was stunned I saw sociology and psychology on it. I was preparing in a manner for the old mcat, but I had to do an extra year due to a poor highschool performance and bachelor program changes at my university. I took several philosophical classes instead of sociology. I did however take a few psychology classes. What I am thinking is that I should just wait until the next application cycle or even maybe take a year off just for mcat prep. My biggest concern is that I have heard people tell me that if your sciences such as chemistry are older than 5 years you will need to retake them in order to reapply.

So let me get down to the point. What do you guys think I should do? Yes I can take harsh criticism so throw it out on the table!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cardzkp

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just worry about getting a better MCAT score at this point. If that involves retaking some pre-reqs, then so be it. That is around 10th percentile and won't cut any school, unfortunately. If you are interested in DO schools, they offer grade replacement for poor grades (retaking it and and doing better replaces old letter grade). So I would suggest retake all classes you did poorly in, learn the material this time (not just pass), then figure out your study flaws and score 70th+ percentile. I have to imagine going up 60 percentile points would pique someone's interest in your application.

4. Yosef12

Pre-Medical
    Getting a better mcat score is on the top of my mind right now. As far as retaking classes I never really did poorly in any of my classes. The lowest grade I have ever received in my college undergrad is a B. Im not sure if that would be worth it financially to retake even though I may regain some insight to the subject. Friends have been throwing AUA at me but I feel that my GPA isn't horrible. It feels like I would be doing myself a disservice applying to AUA

5. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Retake the MCAT, but not until you fix the deficits that caused you to do so poorly.