What are my chances for 2020 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello all,

So I just recently accepted a clinical research assistant position at a top 20 med school for my gap year. I just graduating a semester early from college this December. So technically I will be at this job for 1.5 yrs. This will be my first research experience. Do you think this would qualify me to apply for top 20 schools that value research? By the time I apply this June, I will have had only 6 mo of research hours and then some expected hours for the following year.

For context: I’m URM, Biochem major, 3.82gpa, 517 mcat, 300hrs clinical volunteering(most of which I garnered this school year), 250 + non clinical volunteering one of which is a community service club I founded that works internationally, 100hrs shadowing, three leadership positions, one healthcare administration summer internship, 5 yrs of another healthcare administration volunteer position ( I did 3 yrs of this work online because I did high school in a different country, so I had to move to the US for college.)

Any school suggestions? @Goro @Faha
@LizzyM

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion you look good for T20, I had 3 months of research (like 100 hours) and I interviewed at a t20 and wasn’t URM..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence ? Which URM group do you belong to ? If Hispanic are you fluent in Spanish ?
State of Residence: North Carolina
URM Group: African American
And I can't speak spanish. :(

Looking good. Top 20s + state schools + HBCUs should be your list. You're a competitive top-20 candidate.

Apply to North Carolina, East Carolina, Wake Forest and Duke. Then add any top 20 schools that appeal to you.

Looking good. Top 20s + state schools + HBCUs should be your list. You're a competitive top-20 candidate.
Thank you so much for your suggestions! Do you think the fact that I got almost all of my volunteering hours in 2018-2019 will affect my admission?

Hello all,

So I just recently accepted a clinical research assistant position at a top 20 med school for my gap year. I just graduating a semester early from college this December. So technically I will be at this job for 1.5 yrs. This will be my first research experience. Do you think this would qualify me to apply for top 20 schools that value research? By the time I apply this June, I will have had only 6 mo of research hours and then some expected hours for the following year.

For context: I’m URM, Biochem major, 3.82gpa, 517 mcat, 300hrs clinical volunteering(most of which I garnered this school year), 250 + non clinical volunteering one of which is a community service club I founded that works internationally, 100hrs shadowing, three leadership positions, one healthcare administration summer internship, 5 yrs of another healthcare administration volunteer position ( I did 3 yrs of this work online because I did high school in a different country, so I had to move to the US for college.)

Any school suggestions? @Goro @Faha
@LizzyM

Thanks!
You're platinum; aim high
I suggest:
All HBCs, including UCLA/Drew
NYU
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Penn
Columbia
Duke
Harvard
Sinai
Cornell
Stanford
U MI
UCSF
UCSD
U VA
BU
Case
Mayo
Pitt
Hofstra
Ohio State
USC/Keck
USF Morsani
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
Rochester
Miami
U VM
Your state schools

You're platinum; aim high
I suggest:
All HBCs, including UCLA/Drew
NYU
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Penn
Columbia
Duke
Harvard
Sinai
Cornell
Stanford
U MI
UCSF
UCSD
U VA
BU
Case
Mayo
Pitt
Hofstra
Ohio State
USC/Keck
USF Morsani
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
Rochester
Miami
U VM
Your state schools
Thank you!

I concur. I would say that from Goro's list pick not more than 20... don't burn yourself out with secondaries and interviews. You could be buried in interview invites before you get an offer and you won't want to turn down any... You shouldn't need more than 20 to get 5 interviews and 3 offers (if you interview well). I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be successful despite the timing of your voluntering and research.

Reactions: 1 users
I concur. I would say that from Goro's list pick not more than 20... don't burn yourself out with secondaries and interviews. You could be buried in interview invites before you get an offer and you won't want to turn down any... You shouldn't need more than 20 to get 5 interviews and 3 offers (if you interview well). I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be successful despite the timing of your voluntering and research.
Thank you!

You’re golden. Schools are going to jump at the opportunity of interviewing you

Would you clarify: You plan to start a research experience that will be ongoing for 1.5 years before you apply?
Yes. So I graduated this December and I started working as a research assistant right after. I am applying to med school this June. So by the time I apply, I will have about 6 months of research experience. But I will have about a year of expected research experience, since I will be at this job for a total of 1.5 yrs.

Yes. So I graduated this December and I started working as a research assistant right after. I am applying to med school this June. So by the time I apply, I will have about 6 months of research experience. But I will have about a year of expected research experience, since I will be at this job for a total of 1.5 yrs.
You are already a candidate for just about any school in the country. I just wanted to make sure that your MCAT didn't expire before you applied!

You are already a candidate for just about any school in the country. I just wanted to make sure that your MCAT didn't expire before you applied!
Ok thanks for responding! Do you agree with Goro’s school list?