What are my chances for DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

af4792

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cGPA; 3.1 sGPA: 3.8 MCAT: taking at the end of April, still a month away, but 506 (125/126/126/129) on my last practice test and hoping to get closer to 510

Non- traditional
undergrad at a small private university in IL
I took all my pre-reqs via a DIY-postbac at a local community college and maintained a 4.0 GPA. I also retook some classes I didn't do well in during UG hoping for grade replacement, but obviously that has changed.

white male IL resident

Clinical Experience:
~2500 hours as a medical assistant (non-cert, trained by the office) at a medical group that does mostly home health care. The office had Podiatrists and MDs. I worked with both.

~200 hours of OR observation with a podiatrist at the medical group I worked for

~50 hours volunteering at a hospital

No research unfortunately

Shadowing:
~ 50 hours with a DO in primary care

Other volunteering:
~25 hours at Feed My Starving Children
~25 hours coaching for The First Tee Program

Other EC:
4 year D-2 athlete (on scholarship) Captain my Sr. year
member of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee at my undergrad

I know my cGPA is low and I don't have an official MCAT score yet, but I wanted to know what my chances are for DO schools for the upcoming application cycle (entering 2018). Also which schools would I have a chance.
 
Last edited:
@Goro I figured I would tag you because I've noticed on other threads you tend to have great advice. Sorry in advance if you didn't want to be bothered.
 
The high sGPA and the good MCAT, plus the DO shadowing make you a very good candidate. Apply broadly! But skip LUCOM and Touro-NY.


cGPA; 3.1 sGPA: 3.8 MCAT: taking at the end of April, still a month away, but 506 (125/126/126/129) on my last practice test and hoping to get closer to 510

Non- traditional
undergrad at a small private university in IL
I took all my pre-reqs via a DIY-postbac at a local community college and maintained a 4.0 GPA. I also retook some classes I didn't do well in during UG hoping for grade replacement, but obviously that has changed.

white male IL resident

Clinical Experience:
~2500 hours as a medical assistant (non-cert, trained by the office) at a medical group that does mostly home health care. The office had Podiatrists and MDs. I worked with both.

~200 hours of OR observation with a podiatrist at the medical group I worked for

~50 hours volunteering at a hospital

No research unfortunately

Shadowing:
~ 50 hours with a DO in primary care

Other volunteering:
~25 hours at Feed My Starving Children
~25 hours coaching for The First Tee Program

Other EC:
4 year D-2 athlete (on scholarship) Captain my Sr. year
member of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee at my undergrad

I know my cGPA is low and I don't have an official MCAT score yet, but I wanted to know what my chances are for DO schools for the upcoming application cycle (entering 2018). Also which schools would I have a chance.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The high sGPA and the good MCAT, plus the DO shadowing make you a very good candidate. Apply broadly! But skip LUCOM and Touro-NY.

Thanks I needed some reassurance! Why do you say avoid LUCOM and Touro-NY?