What are my chances for the TOP 4?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

06mazdasports

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, this is a great website, and it has probably helped so many students get crucial information.

My question to you guys is: How competitive am I?

I am a 3rd year student at Michigan State. I am a physiology major in the lyman briggs school of science.

I started my freshman year pretty rough. Here are my GPAs for the 5 semesters I have completed at MSU. I just want to see if this trend helps my situation. 1st: 2.07 2nd: 2.5 3rd: 2.87 4th: 3.67 5th:2.6 6th(currently in): ~3.0.

i have retaken 3 classes, Chem 1, Orgo 1 and orgo 2. i never failed any of them, but did poorly. i replaced all 3 classes from a 1.5 to a 3.0. Since D.O schools count only the retake grade(correct?-unlike Allopathic?), would I just calculate my GPA based on the retake grades?

IF SO, My Cumulative would be about 3.0 and my science GPA would be around a 3.1.

Also about everything else: I worked at a hospital one summer for 500 hours(it was paid). + volunteered at a health clinic for ~50 hrs, local hospital ~50 hours. 2 years here at MSU(I am a 3rd year now) I have held 2 positions on a major organization board. I dont want to list the organization for obvious reasons, but it would be considered one of colleges largest organizations. I was PR and VP in that order. Also, I started a business about a year ago, and although it is not medically related, it is something which is my hobby. I have had great sales, and also it is a registered business in my state. I plan on donating money soon also.

That being said i am 21, i have the ability to open great conversations, I am outgoing I would say, and i have great interest in medicine.

Would someone please be able to break it down for me and let me know what I need to get on my MCATs to have a decent chance of getting matriculted Fall of 08. I plan on taking the MCATs this summer. Should i take it twice?

THANKS!
icon14.gif

Members don't see this ad.

You are not competitive at all for US allopathic schools, below average for DO schools and would need (a 27+ MCAT) to compete. You are somewhat average for the Caribbean if you have a 25+ MCAT. Take this with a grain of salt because no one but the adcoms knows what is important for your specific situation.

It sounds like you do not study enough. If I were on an adcom, I would ask why you would sacrifice your GPA for extracurricular that do not benefit your medical school goals.

Your ECs are only impressive if you are not failing your semesters with a sub-3.0 GPA. When you have a crappy GPA and along with those extra actives it makes you look sloppy, unorganized and unable to successfully take on multiple responsibilities simultaneously.

Try to do your best on the MCAT. That could be the last deciding factor.