What are my chances for vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcs1020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a gap of 2.889 and I still have two years left of undergrad to get that up. I have 600 hours of animal experience through an exotic internship. I plan on doing at least one more internship next summer. I have a chem minor and I have a lot of extracurricular activities to boost my resume. What are my chances to get into vet school with all that and a low GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

i have a gap of 2.889 and I still have two years left of undergrad to get that up. I have 600 hours of animal experience through an exotic internship. I plan on doing at least one more internship next summer. I have a chem minor and I have a lot of extracurricular activities to boost my resume. What are my chances to get into vet school with all that and a low GPA?
Welcome to SDN. You will have success here for your question as this forum is not used for these types of questions. :)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/what-are-my-chances.820748/

I have a 2.99 and was told by an admissions advisor and a vet at my old work not to even bother applying for domestic vet schools because most schools won't even look at an app with a GPA under 3.0. I did get accepted by the Caribbean schools however.
For the record, I was a bio and chem double major, did decent on my GRE (159,159) and have over 1,000 hours in a clinical setting and a bunch of extracurriculars as well.

If you want to get in keep gaining experience in as many areas as possible, do well on your GREs, and most importantly do everything you can to bring that GPA. You still have 2 years of undergrad left which is plenty of time. Even if you have to drop some EC activities to make that happen, do it. It sucks but like I said most schools won't even view an app with a GPA under 3 no matter how great the rest of it is. If you can get it up to at least the 3.2 range over the next two years then you stand a much much much higher chance. Best of luck to you!