What are my chances? Getting a bit nervous.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptnAmerica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so here's my entire story:

Academics:

Went to SUNY Binghamton for freshman year and then transferred to NYU

Did well in all my prereq science courses except physics (B- physics 1, B+ physics 2).

Bing GPA: 3.95 NYU GPA: 3.66 Overall: 3.75 Science: 3.74 (Dean's list every semester)

MCAT: 10PS, 9VR, 12BS --- 31S

Extracurriculars:

I've been volunteering/shadowing in various hospitals/clinics since 10th grade of high school. I must have a total of 1700 hours of it already. I have done anything from neurology, radiology, neurosurgery, cardiac surgery shadowing and have volunteered in their respective departments.

I have done 1.5 years of lab research (this is still going on) (publication under way, but none so far)

I did 6 months of clinical research abroad (India). I also volunteered in the same hospital I did research in for about a total of 250 hours.

I tutor all science classes at NYU (have been doing it for 2 years now) and also TA orgo 1 and 2 (I hold review sessions for each exam that reach attendances of over 300 students) I was nominated for an NYU President's Service Award for teaching.

I am part of various clubs in college. I founded a club basketball team at Binghamton and a private tutoring service at NYU where we donate all the raised funds to a charity organization (we raised over 10,000 in 1.5 years)

I run the new york marathon (i ran it twice in the past two years) I raise $2,600 for a charity in order to gain entrance into the race

I was published in the NYU medical dialogue for writing an article on ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease)

I have great Letters of Rec: a 2 page letter from my orgo professor (I TA'd for him, went out for drinks with him--should be good), a 2 page letter from an english professor (she was in love with me), and one page each from both the bench researcher at NYU and clinical researcher from India....

So here's where I am nervous: I applied to NYU early (open only to NYU undergrad students) pretty confidently. I got an interview and got deferred to regular which really demoralized me. I spoke to the dean (who I interviewed with) and she said my GPA and MCAT are low.

This made me really really nervous. What do you guys think? I'm freaking out that I won't get in because I don't have anything great and because she said that. Is a 31S really THAT bad?! I didn't think of retaking it thinking that I'd be okay, but now I'm just freaking out.

I submitted AMCAS to the following schools:
NEW YORK: albany med, albert einstein, columbia, mount sinai, new york medical college, nyu, suny downstate, stony brook, buffalo med, suny upstate, rochester, cornell
BOSTON: boston u, tufts, umass
NJ: njms, robert wood
PENN: drexel, penn state, temple, pitt
RHODE ISLAND: Brown
VIRGINIA: V Tech
NEW HAMPSHIRE: Dartmouth
CONNECTICUT: Uconn
DC: gw, georgetown
ALABAMA: UAB (Birmingham) (free application, thought I might as well)

The other thing I'm freaking out about: I submitted, but it's still not verified. When I submitted, they told me 4-6 weeks, which would place me to be verified between the last week of Aug or 1st week of Sept.... Does this hurt my chances?

Overall... Am I good?! I'm nervous.

Members don't see this ad.