What are my chances getting into pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rkishek1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am at a community college finishing up 2 more pharmacy prerequisites. My pcat score was

verbal ability 385 22%
Biology 402 46%
Reading Comprehension 368 7%
Quantitative Ability 416 77%
Chemistry 422 81%
Composite 399 43%

My first time taking the pcat, my composite was a 7%. My new highest score is now a 43%. Also, I graduated college with a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry fall of 2014. I have an overall gpa of a 2.73. I have 2 years of pharmacy experience and a month of shadowing experience and I have a semester of research experience during my undergraduate years of college. I was a student member of the American Chemical Society club and the pre-pharmacy club. Will I have a good chance of getting into any pharmacy school in the U.S.?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am at a community college finishing up 2 more pharmacy prerequisites. My pcat score was

verbal ability 385 22%
Biology 402 46%
Chemistry 422 81%
Composite 399 43%

My first time taking the pcat, my composite was a 7%. My new highest score is now a 43%. Also, I graduated college with a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry fall of 2014. I have an overall gpa of a 2.73. I have 2 years of pharmacy experience and a month of shadowing experience and I have a semester of research experience during my undergraduate years of college. I was a student member of the American Chemical Society club and the pre-pharmacy club. Will I have a good chance of getting into any pharmacy school in the U.S.?
I think so! You have to find the right school where you will be competitive at. Pharmcas provide all the schools data and rankings for you to evaluate yourself against. Good luck and stay committed

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What is that?

@PharmDCandidate2014 was just joking. We have a joke among us here that we are going to open Oldstock School of Pharmacy as that would be a more lucrative business than pursuing a PharmD degree itself as we would have about 60% chance of not finding a job as a new PharmD grad in 2018 - 2022 (as there are about 140s (142 ??) schools opening now and more still in the process of opening).

dang, I am going to have to say something here..... lol :)

Your chart is no good. What the heck is High Demand / Moderate Demand / Demand in Balance ?? My point is that, if we want to read and evaluate a chart, analysis, projection or research, etc., we need to understand what the thesis, methodology, calculation, analysis, and results are to understand what and where the flaws, faults, and biases are . I do not know how familiar you are with the scientific method, but your chart is meaningless without those I've just mentioned.

If we really want to look at the saturation problem objectively, we need to look at raw and hard data. We need to know how many new grads are (or going to be), i.e. supply side, and how many jobs are (or going to be), i.e. demand side. Demand vs. Supply. Simple economics.

Sooo, let's talk numbers:

*SUPPLY: how many grads are going to graduate this year ?? in 20018 - 2022 ??

-as of right now, there are about 140 pharmacy schools in the U.S. (go ahead and count them if you would like http://www.aacp.org/about/membership/institutionalmembership/Pages/usinstitutionalmember.aspx :) )

-assuming an avg of 100-150 students per class, that is 14,000 - 21,000 new grads per year. That is about 56,000 - 84,000 new grads in 2018, 84,000 - 126,000 new grads in 2020, 112,000 - 168,000 new grads in 2022 assumed NO new pharmacy school opens.

*DEMAND: how many jobs are available there now ?? in 2018 - 2022 ??

-Per 2013 data: according to the BLS, there were 287,420 employed pharmacists in the US http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291051.htm

View attachment 188060

-Based on 2013 data, the BLS estimate for pharmacist job outlook / growth for 2012 - 2022 is 14% or 41,400 jobs. (If you used the 287,420 figure of currently employed pharmacist, 14% x 287,420 = 40, 238.80 new jobs available between 2012 - 2022, which is very close to the BLS figure of 41,400). http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291051.htm

View attachment 188059

So, let's look at the numbers again:

*SUPPLY = about 56,000 - 84,000 new grads in 2018, 84,000 - 126,000 new grads in 2020, 112,000 - 168,000 new grads in 2022 assumed NO new pharmacy school opens.

*DEMAND = based on 2013 data, the BLS estimate for pharmacist job outlook / growth is 14% or 41,400 jobs for 2012 - 2022.

OK, so:

In 2022, there are 41.4K jobs : 112 - 168K new grads. Or ~ 30% chance of being employed or ~60% chance of being unemployed.

That means, approximately only 1 out of 3 new grads will be able to find a pharmacist job in 2022.

The other 2 of the 3 is going to have do something else. What are they going to have to do after 6 - 8 yrs of school (+ residency) to survive and pay back 150K+ in student loans with interests ??

NO saturation ?? lol :)

In fact, saturation is already happening right now in 2014.

NOT GRIM ENOUGH ????

Those above numbers might not scare some of you, but they are scaring the h@ll out of me...

I dont know if it is clear enough for many like you yet ;) but LOL :)

Now let's discuss a little....

IMHO, this whole saturation/oversupply mess started by schools' greed. They started out by inflating the credentials from BSPharm to PharmD to capture more money in tuition. Ask those working pharmacists out there, and the majority would tell you that there is no need for PharmD in the real practice of pharmacy. Who benefits from this inflation ?? pharmacists ?? NO. Patients ?? NO. Schools ?? YES (in the extra tuition).

The transition from BSPharm to PharmD created 1 - 4 year gap which artificially created the "shortage", i.e. if there had been no mandate of the PharmD degree, no "shortage" would have happened. Because there was / is no "shortage", the 80ish pharmacy schools would eventually catch up and produce enough pharmacists to fill up that gap.

Unfortunately, schools have used and continued using this "shortage" excuse to expand and open more and more new pharmacy schools to capitalize on expensive tuition and easy student loans. There were only ~ 80 schools in the late 1990's. There were 133 pharmacy schools in the early 2014. As of December 2014, there are 140 ACCP member pharmacy schools. More are still in the process of opening. The expansion rate is exponential !! At this rate, in 2022, how many schools of pharmacy schools in the US ??????? How many new PharmDs that are there in 2022 ?????????

Indeed, if there were still 80 schools in 2014 to produce ~ 8 - 12K grads per year (assuming avg class size of 100-150), they would produce around 64 - 96K of new grads between 2014 - 2022. This number is already more than the BLS's estimated number of 41,400 new pharmacist jobs for 2022 (based on 2013 data). Yes, according to this calculation, we would already have an oversupply of new grads even if there were still 80 schools, let alone 140 or 200 schools...

sadly, nothing any single individual can do about this problem. No one or pharmacy group/organization wants to do anything either.... ACPE ?? ACCP ?? Schools ?? Why stop ?? they always got paid FIRST. This saturation problem is anyone's but theirs. Why should they care ?? Their incentive is collecting money in tuition / accreditation + membership fees, thus it is no wonder why they continue pushing the "shortage" illusion...

Too many pharmacy schools = dropping admission standards. Browsing around this forum and the pre-pharmacy forum, you will see... 2.0's GPA, low PCAT, no PCAT, no nothing, no problem... anyone and everyone can get in, get good grades, do networking and job experience and be a pharmacist....

The future trend in healthcare is to do more with less. With no role expansion for the pharmacy profession and threats of pharmacist jobs being replaced by technology, the numbers of new jobs would be contracting. In addition, people are living longer and staying with their jobs longer. Where are the jobs for all those new grads that schools and more schools keep pumping out ??

There are already enough signs from new grads looking for jobs now in 2014 warning us about saturation / oversupply.... just google and see for yourself....

I don't know about you but personally, I would not want to go to school and pay ~ 150K in tuition alone + 6-8 yrs of my life (plus residency) to do a job where everyone can do and take my job. Look at laws and nursing.... Who in his / her right mind wanna pay / invest that much and has to struggle ??

But yeah, if you wanna go anywhere and take any kind of salary no matter how low and compromise to whatever employers' demand, you might still always have a job...

I want to say more but it looks like I am gonna have to write a book so I am gonna stop for now... But let me quote you here, "A poor job outlook is when supply actually exceeds demand, and that has yet to happen in pharmacy".

To that, let me say: if you wanna talk about outlook, you have to look beyond what is now to see and prepare for things that have not yet happened. Because when things have already happened so obviously that you can see with your eyes, it is already too late bro !!

Who wanna spend 150K+ in tuition + 6-8 yrs of your life (+ residency) and take the risks of future unemployment/underemployment and/or wait to see 20-30 buck an hour wage or news headlines of unemployed pharmacists who cannot repay their loans to be 100% certain that there is saturation in pharmacy ??

You sure can bet it is not me.

GL :)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pharmacy-job-market-outlook.639184/page-55

anyway, if pharmacy admission were still generally competitive, I would say that you would have no chance w that GPA of 2.73 and that PCAT of 7 and 43 percentile. But it is not anymore. You might want to retake the PCAT if you think you can improve. But, of those 140s pharmacy schools out there, I think there will be at least a couple of schools will accept your stats. I have seen good/established schools accepted students with 2.0s GPA and/or 10-20s percentile on the PCAT (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...study-where-do-i-begin.1116122/#post-16074993). So I am not going to ask you why you only got 7 and 43 percentile on the PCAT despite having a BS of Chemistry.

If you really think that pharmacy is the only career option you have and want, all you need to do now to get in is apply broadly and early, esp to new schools. Heck, there is still March deadline for PharmCAS application. Gather your stuffs and put in an app now, you might sit in a pharmacy school in the Fall. I am serious. GL :)

verbal ability 385 22%
Biology 402 46%
Chemistry 422 81%
Composite 399 43%

Last edited:
some posts I found could give you some more insights about your chance of acceptance:

It's no secret that PCAT composite scores are dropping for accepted students. More schools + flatlining number of applicants = more students being accepted with lower credentials. And it's not just the new schools with lower standards- threads abound on SDN about one "Top 20 school" that is accepting applicants with composite scores in the 30s and another that interviewed an applicant with a composite of 5 (yes...a 5).

No PCATs are needed for most California schools!

the PCAT is not superdifficult. A HS student got a 79 percentile on the PCAT and got accepted to Wayne State U SOP.
(I have heard Dr. Collins is excellent prep material for the PCAT)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pcat-average.808481/#post-10788301

OP, I have a better idea for you!

I am currently a senior in HS and I will most likely start pharmacy school next year. I am not talking about a 6 year program. I am talking about a the four year program that everyone does when they get accepted. Here is how I did it, I started college when sophomore year ended. I did it through a program called dual enrollment. Check to see if you HS offers it. Any questions feel free to PM me.

My GPA is a 3.88 and my PCAT score is 79. I just hope they send it to admissions after this semster..

i got accepted!!!! :clap:

The PCAT is a joke and will become even more so as those would have scored in the top percentiles choose to go into different fields. The result is inflation of the composite score.

What's really worrying that people are still getting into pharmacy schools with their post-inflation scores of 30-40.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I am glad that yall are commenting on my posts. I do feel that the score of the reading comprehension is the highest I will ever get since I have a sort of disability in reading comprehension. I do think that if I was able to bring my gpa up to a 2.8 or 2.9 and get the verbal ability up and the biology up a bit higher, I would definately have more of a chance. I been studying the Dr. Collins material and the kaplan book and if I didnt have it, I would be making 7 percentile composites every time. The Dr. Collins material therefore improved all of my other scores except for reading comprehension. What would be the best way to study reading comprehension?

I am glad that yall are commenting on my posts. I do feel that the score of the reading comprehension is the highest I will ever get since I have a sort of disability in reading comprehension. I do think that if I was able to bring my gpa up to a 2.8 or 2.9 and get the verbal ability up and the biology up a bit higher, I would definately have more of a chance. I been studying the Dr. Collins material and the kaplan book and if I didnt have it, I would be making 7 percentile composites every time. The Dr. Collins material therefore improved all of my other scores except for reading comprehension. What would be the best way to study reading comprehension?

practice and more practice. It will come w time so you'd better start doing that now. My way is to try w difficult reading materials and try to make a summary for the stuff you've just read in one sentence what the whole thing is about. And try to do it quick and time yourself.

OP made a thread about this before. The 43 is OPs fourth time taking the PCAT. Are you planning to retake it again and reapply next cycle because I thought you applied this cycle.

practice and more practice. It will come w time so you'd better start doing that now. My way is to try w difficult reading materials and try to make a summary for the stuff you've just read in one sentence what the whole thing is about. And try to do it quick and time yourself.

Like oldstock said, reading skills take years to develop. If you plan to retake and improve your RC score, get some Princeton Review MCAT Verbal books. Their approach to the questions and practice passages made it easy for me to understand and answer the questions within the allotted amount of time.

You're smart. you got a higher math than me, u got what it takes, don't give up. I don't care what others say, but you're chem and math scores are high, soon u'll get 91s-99s. chem, bio is main stuff. math too. if u can do well in chem n math, u're set, just work some more then yr golden. i use to have 9% on chem. when did u take the pcat, why did u do so well on math and chem but scores so low composite, seems unfair.

ca SCHOOLS NO REQUIRE PCAT, ONLY bs TRY THAT

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
OP made a thread about this before. The 43 is OPs fourth time taking the PCAT. Are you planning to retake it again and reapply next cycle because I thought you applied this cycle.

Like oldstock said, reading skills take years to develop. If you plan to retake and improve your RC score, get some Princeton Review MCAT Verbal books. Their approach to the questions and practice passages made it easy for me to understand and answer the questions within the allotted amount of time.

4th time ??

if the OP has taken the PCAT four time and still not been able to get higher, I think he/she should find something else to do where he/she excels (considering that today pharmacy is not like pharmacy yesterday and it is getting worse...). Pharmacy is not the only career choice to consider... I would consider doing something else...

The reason I took it the fourth time is because when I took it the first two times, I never knew about Dr. Collins. Now my scores shot up after studying both Dr. Collins and Kaplan. I will say that after studying that, I got a 31 composite and then after studying even more I got a 43 composite. I was considering doing graduate school, but pharmacy is my number one choice since I enjoy working in a pharmacy and dealing with patients. Also, that there is a broad range of opportunities in the career of pharmacy. I did well in the math and chemistry parts of the pcat only because I was a chemistry major and I graduated with a bachelor of science in chemistry. I do know that some schools only look at certain parts of the pcat like the sciences (biology, chemistry, and math). I would be able to easily get the biology up even higher. Though, I am waiting to hear back from a few pharmacy schools though and I already applied this cycle.

You're smart. you got a higher math than me, u got what it takes, don't give up. I don't care what others say, but you're chem and math scores are high, soon u'll get 91s-99s. chem, bio is main stuff. math too. if u can do well in chem n math, u're set, just work some more then yr golden. i use to have 9% on chem. when did u take the pcat, why did u do so well on math and chem but scores so low composite, seems unfair.

ca SCHOOLS NO REQUIRE PCAT, ONLY bs TRY THAT
The last time I took the pcat was september of 2014. I know it does seem unfair for me to have very low scores in some sections and very high scores in other sections. I wish I was good at reading comprehension and verbal, but I never been that kind of person. I guess some students are just good at different things. What were your stats?

4th time ??

if the OP has taken the PCAT four time and still not been able to get higher, I think he/she should find something else to do where he/she excels (considering that today pharmacy is not like pharmacy yesterday and it is getting worse...). Pharmacy is not the only career choice to consider... I would consider doing something else...

The reason I took it the fourth time is because when I took it the first two times, I never knew about Dr. Collins. Now my scores shot up after studying both Dr. Collins and Kaplan. I will say that after studying that, I got a 31 composite and then after studying even more I got a 43 composite. I was considering doing graduate school, but pharmacy is my number one choice since I enjoy working in a pharmacy and dealing with patients. Also, that there is a broad range of opportunities in the career of pharmacy. I did well in the math and chemistry parts of the pcat only because I was a chemistry major and I graduated with a bachelor of science in chemistry. I do know that some schools only look at certain parts of the pcat like the sciences (biology, chemistry, and math). I would be able to easily get the biology up even higher. Though, I am waiting to hear back from a few pharmacy schools though and I already applied this cycle.

you might get in. Keep us posted. GL !! :)

I got into one school! I am going to Hampton University School of pharmacy in Virginia!

Hey i got into pharmacy school with a 2.79, with a 75 pcat score. But ur score is not good enough, u need to get ur bio up. Chem is good. thos are the two that pharmacy school will look for to determine if ur good enough

Hey i got into pharmacy school with a 2.79, with a 75 pcat score. But ur score is not good enough, u need to get ur bio up. Chem is good. thos are the two that pharmacy school will look for to determine if ur good enough

OP already stated that he/she already received admission to Hampton.

Nice. Which pharmacy school did you get accepted to?