What are my chances? Low GPA, High MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SadBoi1

Reaction score
Hello,

I graduated last spring with a biology degree with a 2.7cum(this is with repeated courses, might be lower if gpa was recalculated for med application). I will be finishing my DIY post-bac in biochemistry, 20 additional credits. I only have finals left to take, but my grades are at the point where if I score 75s on the final I will still have an A. With finishing the 20 credits at a 4.0 gpa, my cumulative will only be at a 2.85. I took my MCAT this summer and scored a 519.

I work for two non-profit health orgs in my city and have been for the last 2 years. One is focused on health education and workshops involving the people in the inner city and the other is home health care/health education.

I volunteer in a big brother big sister organization and have been doing it for 3 years.

I have been working as an EMT in my city for 4 years as well, part time during school and full time during school breaks.

I have been working in two research labs two years, one biology and the other psychology no publications though.

I have over 100 hours of shadowing between a two doctors.

I have three medical schools in my state and are very favorable towards instate applicants.

I am close with my professors, advisor, and my volunteer bosses who I've known for years that will write me amazing LORs (6-7 letters).

My university offers a non-thesis biology degree and I did the math if I were to go for another DIY post-bac offered by my university. 18 credits a semester at a 4.0 would only boost my 2.85 to a 2.95gpa. What should I do?

Sorry for my format, first time posting, thank you in advance for reading and all the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Another year of a DIY post-bac would help since it would show medical schools that your post-bac years are much better than your undergraduate years. Where is your state of residence ? With a 2.95 GPA and a 519 MCAT you could receive interviews at some DO schools, especially the newer schools.

Another year of a DIY post-bac would help since it would show medical schools that your post-bac years are much better than your undergraduate years. Where is your state of residence ? With a 2.95 GPA and a 519 MCAT you could receive interviews at some DO schools, especially the newer schools.

Do you think OP has a shot at MD? Maybe if the gpa passes 3.0 and an smp?

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree 100%