What are my Chances? MD or DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chimpster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cGPA is 3.4, my sGPA 3.3. My MCAT score is 31 (10PS, 10V, 11BS)

I'm Hmong (sub-group of Asians if that helps)

I was awarded the chancellor's leadership award (given out to graduating students who throughout their careers at our university who have contributed significant leadership, demonstrated campus and/or community service and shown a commitment to personal growth) only 22 given by the chancellor out of 2500 graduating students of 2012. I was the fundraiser chair for the Hmong club in college and we fundraised over $4,000 to build a clinic in Laos. I majored as a Medical Technologist and double minor in both biology and chemistry. Worked as a medical technologist for a year now and still working, also 70 hours of shadowing with MD, 50 hours with a DO.

Just some quick facts, any recommendation about chances in applying to MD or DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Just some quick questions:
Any research experience?
State of residency?
Volunteering experience?

Based on what I see right now you are very competitive for DO programs and can be competitive for MD depending on other aspects of your app and personal story. However, the lower stats will make MD more of a reach. You could do a post bacc since the GPA is what raises a red flag to me for an MD applicant.

100% agree.

Any research experience?
State of residency?
Volunteering experience?

Based on what I see right now you are very competitive for DO programs and can be competitive for MD depending on other aspects of your app and personal story. However, the lower stats will make MD more of a reach. You could do a post bacc since the GPA is what raises a red flag to me for an MD applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
100% agree.
Any research experience?
State of residency?
Volunteering experience?

Completely agree as well.

My cGPA is 3.4, my sGPA 3.3. My MCAT score is 31 (10PS, 10V, 11BS)

I'm Hmong (sub-group of Asians if that helps)

I was awarded the chancellor's leadership award (given out to graduating students who throughout their careers at our university who have contributed significant leadership, demonstrated campus and/or community service and shown a commitment to personal growth) only 22 given by the chancellor out of 2500 graduating students of 2012. I was the fundraiser chair for the Hmong club in college and we fundraised over $4,000 to build a clinic in Laos. I majored as a Medical Technologist and double minor in both biology and chemistry. Worked as a medical technologist for a year now and still working, also 70 hours of shadowing with MD, 50 hours with a DO.

Just some quick facts, any recommendation about chances in applying to MD or DO?

Hi there, I had similar stats as yours (ORM). I applied broadly (MD only), and received 16 II, 11 II attended, 8 acceptances, 3 WL. Even though you're Asian, the fact that many schools label students of Hmong descent (and students of SE Asian descent in general) as URM definitely helps your case! Given your URM status, if you applied broadly and early, you would be a competitive candidate as long as the other aspects of your application are solid (volunteering, leadership, clinical experience, research, etc.). Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
I am willing to go DO but I would love to go to a MD school. I'm 24 going on 25 next year so I would want to get the ball rolling, as of my state of residency, I'm from Wisconsin. I didn't do any research in college, most of my free time was used on community services and volunterring, being the group leader for a lot of projects like fundraising and putting on seminars advocating health care geared towards minority groups. That's how I was awarded with the chancellor's leadership award. Clinical experience would be from working as a Medical Technologist in a hospital.