What are my chances? MD schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medhopeful347

Reaction score
Hi, I appreciate any input/advice as I have only just started the process and have a few schools on my list. Which schools would you all recommend for me?

Background: 21 yo Caucasian male, PA resident in a medically underserved county, WashU undergrad with a biochem major and anthropology minor, traditional applicant

MCAT: Took once, 513 (130/127/128/128)
GPA:
cGPA: 3.91
sGPA: 3.95

Research experience:
~100 hours of research in a pathology lab doing data analysis at WUSM
~400 hours of research at biology department at WashU observing the cell cycle and nutrient effects on the cell cycle, no publications

Shadowing experience:
~50 hours shadowing in emergency department at Barnes-Jewish
~75 hours of shadowing a cardiologist at a local hospital where I am from
~500 hours shadowing an ENT at local hospital and clinic

Non-clinical volunteering:
~50 hours traveling to a local elementary school in St. Louis tutoring kids in science and math and then engaging with them in physical activity and other recreational activities.
~50 hours volunteering at local Ronald McDonald house through lambda sigma sophomore honor society.
~300 hours participating in collecting autographs through trades and going to sporting events. I would then donate them to various charity auctions, or I would sell them on my own and donate the proceeds to charity. I have even been honored at one of the charity auctions.

Other ECs:
-fraternity member, currently hold a position on the executive board
-member of sports analytics club where I have written various articles outlining ways analytics can give new insight into sports teams' successes and failures.
-member of school's club tennis team.
-member of lambda sigma sophomore honor society.
-paid employment as a lab technician. This is how i got into the biology lab that I am currently doing research in.

Schools already on my list(open to anywhere in the country):
Geisinger
Temple
Penn State
Georgetown
GW
Miami
Emory

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What feedback have you gotten from your prehealth advisors?

Obviously in-state (PA) strategy should be in play, especially programs that may have a component focused on rural health or underserved communities. What medical school/academic hospital systems are associated with the clinics near your home? There's always a great story with a successful homecoming health care provider.

I can't recommend applying to your home institution (WUSTL) because of your MCAT, but you may get a little attention through your connections working in the health care system. Maybe apply to St. Louis or other privates regionally that match your metric profile better.

What feedback have you gotten from your prehealth advisors?

Obviously in-state (PA) strategy should be in play, especially programs that may have a component focused on rural health or underserved communities. What medical school/academic hospital systems are associated with the clinics near your home? There's always a great story with a successful homecoming health care provider.

I can't recommend applying to your home institution (WUSTL) because of your MCAT, but you may get a little attention through your connections working in the health care system. Maybe apply to St. Louis or other privates regionally that match your metric profile better.

My pre-health advisor told me "your numbers will get you into a lot of schools, look them up and see which mission statements and other 'about information' resonates best with you."

So has not helped at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
My pre-health advisor told me "your numbers will get you into a lot of schools, look them up and see which mission statements and other 'about information' resonates best with you."

So has not helped at all.
Actually it is helpful advice and puts the responsibility on you to make a list. It is one of the things I would say you have to address in your school-specific application essays when you get them. Cookie-cutter essays are much less effective. It's all about how much homework you want to do. The advice some of us give here are probabilistic suggestions but you have to finish the deal.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually it is helpful advice and puts the responsibility on you to make a list. It is one of the things I would say you have to address in your school-specific application essays when you get them. Cookie-cutter essays are much less effective. It's all about how much homework you want to do. The advice some of us give here are probabilistic suggestions but you have to finish the deal.

I understand that. I just haven't even gotten probabilistic suggestions from my advisor. And when I emailed her with the few schools that resonate with me she just reiterated the same thing. When I asked her about these schools (i.e. prior matriculants from WUSTL) she said she did not know. I am just looking at all avenues for help as I am new to the process.

I understand that. I just haven't even gotten probabilistic suggestions from my advisor. And when I emailed her with the few schools that resonate with me she just reiterated the same thing. When I asked her about these schools (i.e. prior matriculants from WUSTL) she said she did not know. I am just looking at all avenues for help as I am new to the process.
I admit many of us who have been prehealth advisors (including me) don't like to do school lists (so be patient for others to give you lists). Especially at a place like WashU, everyone wants a school list but everyone wants a ton of top 20's/50's and get upset when they aren't top-20/50 material according to metrics.

I would presume other prehealth students know their friends who graduated and where. There is the SDN community too.

I suggest adding these schools:
Drexel
Jefferson
West Virginia
Seton Hall
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Quinnipiac
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont

Any clinical experience other than shadowing?
Do you have the MSAR? If not buy it now and search it for schools you might be interested in. Pay attention to the 10-90 percentiles, IS V OOS metrics, location, etc. The only thing I would fault your advisors for is not having the numbers of previous WUSTL students that went to various schools. I’d think that would be pretty available for you. But list development grunt work is really your job. It’s great that some SDN folks are happy to provide lists but you are still going to have to develop your list based on your preferences and particular situation. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users